Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint

It was all good until now, but I had to lower the difficulty to be able to kill flycatcher's drone. That thing is so fast I couldn't even react to it before getting killed by its gun. But I put it back on extreme right after. On easy the AI has amnesia, they go back to regular patrol in like 5 seconds after loosing you.

I've kept it on medium. I briefly tried easy to see the difference and it was as if all the Sentinel soldiers arrived to the island on a short yellow bus.

BF3/4 have far better weapon modelling. Wildland's recoil system feels like something out of the early 2000s among other shortcomings. Honestly, they aren't even in the same league. BF3/4 does have decent recoil management and animations, but has some short comings like far too zoomed in sight picture. When BF3 came out I was amazed that the weapons were more realistic than the new games in the previously "realistic" series of Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six. I think Modern Warfare is the first mainstream game to have 3D / picture in picture scopes to, so it gets some credit there. Previously it was just Red Orchestra and Insurgency that did that.

Wildland's from a realism perspective really doesn't get anything right, and the feel is just off with the bad recoil system which makes it fairly boring.

And it sounds like Breakpoint is even worse by reading Dan's posts.
I know you hated wildlands, so I'm taking everything you say with a grain of salt since then. But what is an early 2000s recoil system? That description is completely meaningless to me. Recoil is not that technically challenging to implement in games, so technological advancement should not have anything to do with it. I remember some games having picture in picture scopes (if you mean what I think you mean by that) and it was cool, and wish more AAA games had something similar. But it's just a tiny mechanic that does not make a terrible game worth playing. There are lots of niche games that get one or two things right, but overall they still remain awful experiences.

To me the main goal is to have immersion, and I don't need 100% realistic guns for that. Just good enough, and frankly wildlands and breakpoint are more than good enough in this department. Going into nitpicking mode with but this gun should have bigger recoil or that gun should have different ammo, therefore game is worthless, is like me saying that this car should have V8 sound and that car should have ABS, you see what I'm getting at? I'm shunned for saying driving should be more realistic yet when it comes to guns the tiniest details are made into insurmountable game breaking issues. The driving in Wildlands was good enough, the flying was pretty good. In breakpoint driving is not good enough, and flying is outright terrible, yet that is completely overlooked, or even praised for its simplicity, It is a very obvious double standard.

Now do I say the guns in Breakpoint are absolutely on point? Hell no, but individual parts does not matter that much, it's the overall experience that matters. The only games that gave me similar experience were the rainbow 6 games, before they were turned into multiplayer abominations. So Vegas 2 from 2008 was the last. And Splinter Cell games.

So say what you may Wildlands was one of my favorite games of this genre recently if not the actual favorite.

The jury is still out on Breakpoint, but after the ghost experience update it seems they were able to salvage most of what they ruined with the initial release.
Flying and driving aside breakpoint is now as good as wildlands in most areas, and slightly better in some.

I have a hard time imagining someone who didn't like Wildlands liking this, either, but then again: There is a free demo available. Try it.

I have a hard time imagining someone who didn't like Wildlands liking this, either, but then again: There is a free demo available. Try it.

I played the demo for Wildlands and hated it. For whatever reason, I like Breakpoint. Having a lot of fun. Played through the 6 hours and bought the game.

I've kept it on medium. I briefly tried easy to see the difference and it was as if all the Sentinel soldiers arrived to the island on a short yellow bus.

Dan, when you have gear score off, do the weapon "effects" still work? As in, I have weapon score off, but a rifle equipped that gives bonus XP and does more damage to drones. Just curious.

Also, I think it's bullshit when I disassemble an MK2 weapon I upgraded myself and it only gives me the standard parts back, and none that you invested into the gun.

Dan, when you have gear score off, do the weapon "effects" still work? As in, I have weapon score off, but a rifle equipped that gives bonus XP and does more damage to drones. Just curious.

Also, I think it's bullshit when I disassemble an MK2 weapon I upgraded myself and it only gives me the standard parts back, and none that you invested into the gun.

No, those effects aren't on the guns at all. The weapons are all basically the same. That is to say, every M4A1 or MP5 has identical stats outside of whatever you do to customize it.

No, those effects aren't on the guns at all. The weapons are all basically the same. That is to say, every M4A1 or MP5 has identical stats outside of whatever you do to customize it.

Damn. I kind of like +dmg and +exp modifiers. That's about it. The gear "Score" I don't care for.

Some effects unfortunately do work. I say unfortunately because I got some perk or upgrade I don't remember what it was that supposedly increases accuracy, and suddenly I had much smaller bullet drop than before. I had the aiming nailed I could hit with like 95% accuracy from 300-400m then suddenly I was shooting 20m above the enemy.

Damn. I kind of like +dmg and +exp modifiers. That's about it. The gear "Score" I don't care for.

I don't care for any of that. Back when I played initially when the game launched, I don't recall being able to really notice a difference from these perks beyond the XP gains.

I will say thus far my least favorite side missions are the ones that make you interrogate Sentinel soldiers. Getting them alone is sometimes very painful. I like playing Sniper most of the time but I'm thinking about starting to pick up Stealth related perks too if they are worth it.

I know you hated wildlands, so I'm taking everything you say with a grain of salt since then. But what is an early 2000s recoil system? That description is completely meaningless to me. Recoil is not that technically challenging to implement in games, so technological advancement should not have anything to do with it.

Games in the early 2000s were very underdeveloped here and recoil typically shot straight up like a cartoon. Wildlands was pretty much the same system with no real feel or control over the weapon, aside from shooting more or less quickly. And even then if I recall, some of the pistols had a limited rate of fire where you could click twice but only one shot would come out. Just a lot of things that make it feel so off a disconnecting that it pulls you out of the gameplay which is a problem because the game is a shooter.

I remember some games having picture in picture scopes (if you mean what I think you mean by that) and it was cool, and wish more AAA games had something similar. But it's just a tiny mechanic that does not make a terrible game worth playing. There are lots of niche games that get one or two things right, but overall they still remain awful experiences.

This kills performance which is why it has really only been in PC games until recently, unless I missed a console one. Modern Warfare seems to have figured it out though and features it without a notable frame rate drop. Insurgency Sandstorm does as well. I assume modern engines and multi core CPUs have probably helped here somewhat as well as GPU power in general.

When Red Orchestra came out you had a traditional "2D" scope option, a low res 3D/PiP and a high res version for those with the hardware.

A lot of the realistic features from Red Orchestra filtered down to BF3/4, and I assume the next BF game will likely implement PiP scopes to. I think they will go mainstream with the new consoles finally.

To me the main goal is to have immersion, and I don't need 100% realistic guns for that.

Yeah but we're specifically talking about the weapon modelling here, not the other aspects.

The driving in Wildlands was good enough, the flying was pretty good. In breakpoint driving is not good enough, and flying is outright terrible, yet that is completely overlooked, or even praised for its simplicity, It is a very obvious double standard.

On the driving aspect I felt Wildlands was underwhelming, it seems like vehicles jutted out left/right abruptly for even a small turn, but I played with a mouse and keyboard which isn't ideal for driving a vehicle. It got the job done for the most part. While I don't mind some more realism in it, the game is first and foremost a shooter and not a driving game. So the priorities should be related to the combat.

I played the most updated version of Wildlands as well for about 2 hours, did the latest DLC tie in mission for Breakpoint. So it is still fairly fresh in my mind mechanically, and it was still fairly underwhelming there.

As I've said many times, Ubisoft seems to have an army of artists that can make huge game worlds but doesn't have the ability to harness them into building around good gameplay. Their solution seems to be to shove more MMO style mechanics into the games (Odyssey, New Dawn, Breakpoint).

I will say thus far my least favorite side missions are the ones that make you interrogate Sentinel soldiers. Getting them alone is sometimes very painful. I like playing Sniper most of the time but I'm thinking about starting to pick up Stealth related perks too if they are worth it.

They are.

On the driving aspect I felt Wildlands was underwhelming,
It was underwhelming all-right, hence I expected an improvement in Breakpoint, instead it was downgraded by no small margin. Especially the flying.

While I don't mind some more realism in it, the game is first and foremost a shooter and not a driving game. So the priorities should be related to the combat.
They are not mutually exclusive. Two wrongs doesn't make a who cares. Hence I brought up Mafia as an example, who says shooters can't have more realism in vehicles until shooting is 100% perfect?

I played the most updated version of Wildlands as well for about 2 hours, did the latest DLC tie in mission for Breakpoint. So it is still fairly fresh in my mind mechanically, and it was still fairly underwhelming there.
The driving or the shooting? To me the shooting seems slightly better in breakpoint, the driving is worse on the other hand.

As I've said many times, Ubisoft seems to have an army of artists that can make huge game worlds but doesn't have the ability to harness them into building around good gameplay. Their solution seems to be to shove more MMO style mechanics into the games (Odyssey, New Dawn, Breakpoint).
More like the division looter shooter mechanics with far cry and breakpoint. Thankfully they seem to have realized the error of their way, otherwise they would not have put out the ghost experience update.

It was underwhelming all-right, hence I expected an improvement in Breakpoint, instead it was downgraded by no small margin. Especially the flying.

They are not mutually exclusive. Two wrongs doesn't make a who cares. Hence I brought up Mafia as an example, who says shooters can't have more realism in vehicles until shooting is 100% perfect?

The driving or the shooting? To me the shooting seems slightly better in breakpoint, the driving is worse on the other hand.

More like the division looter shooter mechanics with far cry and breakpoint. Thankfully they seem to have realized the error of their way, otherwise they would not have put out the ghost experience update.

Ghost Experience is key. Allowing choice is a massive plus for me and I probably wouldn't be enjoying the game nearly as much without it.

Ghost Experience is key. Allowing choice is a massive plus for me and I probably wouldn't be enjoying the game nearly as much without it.

It really is a literal... sorry... game changer. Being able to dial things in just the way I want is critical and very welcome. The gear score nonsense just had to be gone immediately. I wish we could get something similar to this plethora of choices in Division 2.

It really is a literal... sorry... game changer. Being able to dial things in just the way I want is critical and very welcome. The gear score nonsense just had to be gone immediately. I wish we could get something similar to this plethora of choices in Division 2.

Yeah I mean on the one hand, I like weapon "perks", specifically +XP%, but I don't like gear score and having to change out my weapons every 30 minutes of playtime to keep up with the stupid gear score to not get wrecked. If you like a certain weapon, having to switch it out for a shittier one with a higher gear score was a MASSIVE downfall.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this

Seems to be the go to for Ubisoft. Look at the shortcomings, ignore them, take what was good and downgrade it.

True, but driving is less important overall. That is more of a symptom of the too large map design and an open world map. You could side step the issue entirely by removing those. Although I will say, world design is the best thing Wildlands had going for it (IMO).

Shooting.

Call me skeptical but I doubt it. They're just trying to put out a dumpster fire, Breakpoint seems like it was so heavily panned at release they had to do something. I'm sure the next game of theirs with be a looter shooter/grindy MMO thing again. If they prove me wrong I'll be happy.

Call me skeptical but I doubt it. They're just trying to put out a dumpster fire, Breakpoint seems like it was so heavily panned at release they had to do something. I'm sure the next game of theirs with be a looter shooter/grindy MMO thing again. If they prove me wrong I'll be happy.
I think they tested the water with new dawn, and that probably sold well, but people were expecting more of FarCry5, and not a division type game. So just because it sold well doesn't mean it was the right direction.
I was one of the people duped by that, so I immediately went full sceptical about Breakpoint, and it paid off.

This game probably has the worst cover system ever. About 99% of the time I face the wrong direction, I can't spam the turn around key enough, and about 90% of the time I cannot peek from cover, all I see is a wall in front of me. And about 80% of the time when I want to go to the other side of the cover the game takes me in front of the cover where I immediately get shot. This happened to me just now again as I finished the hard part of a very hard mission, there were only a bunch of stragglers left, and I was killed because the fucking game made me go in front of the cover and not behind it. So today I played about 2 hours, and progressed exactly zero, because I was trying the same mission again and again, and just when I got it right, I get killed by a basic rifleman after dispatching two dozen wolves. Because of the cover system, the rage.

26 hours into the game and 50% story completion.

IDK what it is, but the game is keeping me hooked.

like this
26 hours into the game and 50% story completion.

IDK what it is, but the game is keeping me hooked.

Me, too. It's just working for me overall now that I know how to deal with its quirks and menus.

I'm basically playing it like Splinter Cell Wildands for the most part. I maxed out Echelon class and I'm using the stealth perks.

Reactions: M76
like this
Wildlands driving was so terrible, even post patch. only worth while transport in that game was helo, and that was a bit rough too.

After 42 hours I'm 53% in the story, but I do more side missions than main ones for sure. After 30 hours I caved and enabled garage in bivouacs, my hand started hurting from pushing w so much for so long.
Then today I figured out why auto-walk wouldn't work in the game. I thought it was a bug, but it turns out you have to enable it under accessibility. I never thought of it as an accessibility feature, more a convenience. And why would you have to disable it anyway? If you don't want to you just don't use it, very strange. Like this image:

strange.jpg

I've got a lot of hours in the game now and I've seen almost all of those glitches at one point or another. I think having the rifle stuck to the chest and sticking straight out while floating in water is the only one I haven't seen.

By the way, I finally went and did some of the raid in Ghost Recon Breakpoint this weekend. I have mixed feelings about it. I really like raiding in some games, but this while fun, is frustrating due to no quick travel on the massive island and a lack of direction for what your supposed to do and where to go. Keep in mind, speed runs of this thing are still nearly an hour long. We spent hours in there yesterday. Far longer than I had planned. That said, it rains gear in there and you'll fly through gear levels as a result. Killing the first boss wasn't too hard when we figured it out. Difficulty is a bit of a mixed bag. You still have to contend with Azrael drones on the island and Wolves on patrol.

General enemies are a bit harder to deal with because they are at a gear level of 260. So, if you aren't, they hit harder than you might be used to. Beyond that, enemy placement is well thought out in some cases. If you hit a base on the wrong side, it can be brutal to take everyone out. Camps and locations are generally interesting. There are lots of things to explore and do which is nice. When you kill a boss, it drops unique weapon variants. Some of which are incredibly fun to use.

Tons of fun, but the frustrating parts are something that keeps the experience from being better. Ghost Recons have also been a solo+friends on occasion kind of event, and by in large there is probably not massive crossover between people who play a looter shooter like The Division 2 and Destiny 2, or MMO raiders and Ghost Recon fans. Evidently, player engagement was super low for this activity which is somewhat of a shame. At its core its good, but it does need a great deal of refinement for the experience. It's worth doing for the gear alone. There are weapons as well as cosmetics locked behind the raid which sadly, most people will never see.

Last edited:
like this
I continue to be very happy with this and it's exceeded any of my expectations (once we get past menus, etc.)

I continue to be very happy with this and it's exceeded any of my expectations (once we get past menus, etc.)

I turned gear score back on to do the raid and its clear that the game really was designed to work this way. Even the Ghost Experience, while good, has some problems with it. Overall, I've enjoyed the game almost as much as Wildlands and in some ways, its better. It's also worse in several ways too. But, I've enjoyed playing the game and experiencing everything it has to offer.

like this
I turned gear score back on to do the raid and its clear that the game really was designed to work this way. Even the Ghost Experience, while good, has some problems with it. Overall, I've enjoyed the game almost as much as Wildlands and in some ways, its better. It's also worse in several ways too. But, I've enjoyed playing the game and experiencing everything it has to offer.

I've never looked back. If I turn gear score on what's going to happen to what I have?

I only turned gear score back on a couple of times to buy and disassemble weapons for weapon parts because they are so painful to find with gear score off.

Other than that, it's been a great game. I've got 40 hours logged and just finished the final story mission and I'm working on the Sam Fisher missions now. Definitely worth the buy at a discounted price. I have no desire to play PVP or turn gear score back on for any reason.

like this
Since the latest patch Vulkan no longer crashes for me, so there is that.
I also finished the story, disappointingly it is complete bait for "live service" expansions. F that, I have zero interest in paying for season passes, and then have them trickle feed one mission / month or whatever is it they do. I made the mistake of purchasing the season pass for AC:Odyssey, then I never went back to play the additional content, couldn't be bothered. Same with Wildlands.

Since the latest patch Vulkan no longer crashes for me, so there is that.
I also finished the story, disappointingly it is complete bait for "live service" expansions. F that, I have zero interest in paying for season passes, and then have them trickle feed one mission / month or whatever is it they do. I made the mistake of purchasing the season pass for AC:Odyssey, then I never went back to play the additional content, couldn't be bothered. Same with Wildlands.

I feel you, Ubisoft does love to do that. And I did pretty much the same thing with Odyssey - once I finished the game I had no desire to keep playing stupid (and easy) DLC missions.

That being said, I've enjoyed the Sam Fisher missions just about the same as any other missions in the game.

I feel you, Ubisoft does love to do that. And I did pretty much the same thing with Odyssey - once I finished the game I had no desire to keep playing stupid (and easy) DLC missions.

That being said, I've enjoyed the Sam Fisher missions just about the same as any other missions in the game.
Yeah, but AC:Odyssey at least finished the main story, here they didn't even do that, it's completely open ended back to sq1. I don't even get what is their goal. Wildlands completed its story as well, and I still bought and enjoyed Narco Road, and Fallen Ghosts. If a game is good no bait needed, if it's not that good I'm not going to buy expansions for it either way, so it's a loose loose for them.

Yeah, but AC:Odyssey at least finished the main story, here they didn't even do that, it's completely open ended back to sq1. I don't even get what is their goal. Wildlands completed its story as well, and I still bought and enjoyed Narco Road, and Fallen Ghosts. If a game is good no bait needed, if it's not that good I'm not going to buy expansions for it either way, so it's a loose loose for them.

Me neither. I wouldn't buy any additional DLC that came out at this point. I guess I'm just OK with how it ended because I got an enjoyable 40+ hours out of a game that I payed 20 bucks for.

Andddd just like that, finished with the Sam Fisher missions and there's nothing left to do except random faction quests I didn't complete and have no desire to - so I guess that's a wrap. But overall, good game, worth the discounted price. Plenty of hours put in it - but I'm not gonna play the PVP so it's probably on the short list for an uninstall now.

Reactions: M76
like this
Is this worth playing now? I picked up Uplay+ for only $7.

Honestly i'm already enjoying this game far more than Division 2. The graphics are honestly incredible on Ultimate settings 4k HDR. All the videos I saw were of console versions that look like dogshit compared to what i'm seeing on my PC.

Honestly i'm already enjoying this game far more than Division 2. The graphics are honestly incredible on Ultimate settings 4k HDR. All the videos I saw were of console versions that look like dogshit compared to what i'm seeing on my PC.

I agree. Division 2 has been left on the shelf. Destiny 2 has largely been left on shelf, too, at this point. This game came at the right time.

Back