Today Only, Google Opens Up Project Fi To All

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you want to sign up for Google's Project Fi, you'd better hurry, you have 24 hours to do so before it goes back to invitation only.

If you've been thinking about checking out Google's Project Fi wireless service, now is your chance. The Mountain View, California, Internet search titan said Monday it's giving out "instant invites" to the service for the next 24 hours. Interested users can sign up directly on the company's website.

Interesting. They've been low on stock of their SIM cards for a while, so this is surprising. You can't activate until you have their SIM card. I just switched my Nexus 6 over to Project Fi on Saturday and there were issues activating my account. Talked with them over support (open 24/7) and got it resolved, but it took an hour. Everything is working great since then.

I am finding myself uncomfortable with how google is becoming the go-for-all kind of company.

It really is the Umbrella Corporation. Mark my words, next is viral weaponry...

Sprint and T-Mobile have the WORST coverages and data speeds in my area. I'd probably switch from Cricket today if they offered GSM service, as well...

I am finding myself uncomfortable with how google is becoming the go-for-all kind of company.

It really is the Umbrella Corporation. Mark my words, next is viral weaponry...

Seen The Kingsmen yet? Google sending out free SIM cards to anyone that wants them..... :eek:

I've been sitting on an invite for a little while because porting my google voice to the phone sort of makes me nervous. Does anyone know if it makes things less complicated or more complicated to just use a new number?

I don't really care what happens to the old google voice number.

Got my invite months ago, but I'm not switching until they make it compatible with more phones.

Seen The Kingsmen yet? Google sending out free SIM cards to anyone that wants them..... :eek:

Ummm... not the same thing.

Any provider you start service with will send you / give you a sim card to use your compatible phone on their network.

So this plan with a paltry 1GB of data would be only slightly cheaper than what I am paying now since I would have to get a new phone.

AND.... the Nexus phones don't have an sd card slot.

But I am going to seriously look at other plans once I am done paying off my current phone.

I've been sitting on an invite for a little while because porting my google voice to the phone sort of makes me nervous. Does anyone know if it makes things less complicated or more complicated to just use a new number?

I don't really care what happens to the old google voice number.

It's less complicated to use a new number because then you don't have to port your old number. Even so, porting my old number to Fi took only about 1 hour.

How is the service? Currently had verizon since like 2005. They are killing my unlimited data plan by increasing it $30 per line. Might finally consider the switch and I already have nexus 6 to take advantage of this

got my invite a few weeks ago, ordered my 6P should be here in 3 weeks or so.

Even after paying the 200 ETF with verzion it's worth it to be out of their high price shit. I don't use much data, mostly on wifi. nice to know I'll be getting 5 dollars or so back every month against my bill. (i don't care about banking the data i've paid for)

Service reviews say things are pretty good/smooth, especially here in the DFW, TX area. Very excited. After all is said and done my bill will be cheaper every month (and that's even after factoring in paying the 21/month towards the phone itself)

Not interested in using the 2 crappiest wireless networks,I don't live in a metro area.

Didn't think the demand for this would be that much since it only works currently on Nexus 6 only. If they had a $200 range handset I would be interested in trying it out.

This is frustrating because I'm out of contract, and my phone just broke so I need a new one. This would be perfect for me.

Unfortunately, neither of the compatible Nexus phones have removable sd cards, which is a complete deal breaker. I hate the current trend of flagship phones losing features every generation. At least with Fi in town, I know better than to re-up my contract with AT&T. Hopefully Google relaxes the device restrictions soon.

Pricing would be a lateral move from the $30/month I'm paying harbormobile for Unlimited Voice/Text + 2.5GB data

But I realize this is just Google testing the waters, not trying to take the cell co's head on.

So, $20 for unlimited calls and texts, and $10 for each GB data, and I have to use one of the latest Goggle phones.

No thanks, I'll stay with what I have, especially since there is a much better selection of phones.

I already have the T-Mobile family plan that costs $90 for 3 lines, so this would be the same price.
It includes the same unlimited calls and texts, plus 1GB data, and if I go over (rarely as I'm usually on WiFi), they just slow me down instead of charging me an extra $10.
Plus I get WiFi calling on my existing phone and free text & limited data in Canada and Mexico. Came in handy when I was in Canada for a few days last year.

Give Google a direct pipe to all my mobile calls and data? How foolish do you think I am?

Wait so you need one of the 2 phones that support this (both Nexus phones) and they're acting all coy in saying you have only 24 hours to get on this exclusive service that mimics what MetroPCS does? Christ they did the same thing with Google Mail and I think Google Plus... "hurry up to get an invite, ignore the fact that you can get all the same things later!!!!"

Wait so you need one of the 2 phones that support this (both Nexus phones) and they're acting all coy in saying you have only 24 hours to get on this exclusive service that mimics what MetroPCS does? Christ they did the same thing with Google Mail and I think Google Plus... "hurry up to get an invite, ignore the fact that you can get all the same things later!!!!"

More likely they're just trying to control how fast a test program expands, than being" coy" - silly.

Back