Today is Mango day for Windows Phone 7

Unknown-One

[H]F Junkie
Surprised nobody has made a thread about this yet...

Microsoft just threw the switch, carriers have the green light to distribute Mango (Windows phone 7.5). Even AT&T, who was among the last to distribute the previous update, has said that the update will begin rolling out to devices from day-one of this released (today).

So... anyone get their update notification yet? :D

Not yet, and due to a scheduling fluke I've been up since 8:30 last night, been trying since midnight since I don't have shit else to do LOL

Does this mean carriers also will release new Windows phones to go along with the Mango update?

I was able to force an update to my 7392 phone. Open up Zune, run the update. It'll say no updates right? Well try update again and physically disconnect your ethernet cable like a second after it scans. Hopefully 7403 should show up. Reconnect the cable to get internet back and run the update.

My Samsung Focus is still on 7390. 7392 was the last update before Mango, but AT&T never released 7392 into the wild... So I'm nervous how well this mass update flush is going to work.

Updating to 7390 seemed to take for-freakin ever- Almost an hour. (I understand most of that is Zune backing up your phone)

My Samsung Focus is still on 7390. 7392 was the last update before Mango, but AT&T never released 7392 into the wild... So I'm nervous how well this mass update flush is going to work.

Updating to 7390 seemed to take for-freakin ever- Almost an hour. (I understand most of that is Zune backing up your phone)

7390 is normal for the Focus. So you can update from there to 7403 and then onto 7720.

Yep worked for me

Messing with it for about 45 mins.... keep getting error 801812DD. Tried clearing space on phone, swapping USB cables/ports. I've got 200GB cleared on the computer's system HDD, and over 15GB free on the phone.

"We're having trouble creating a backup of your phone"

Installing and troubleshooting problems during the software update for Windows Phone

Updated. Took 2 hours. It's always the last USB port you try. :p Apparently there's some "sensitivity" issues with USB cables and ports. MSFTs recommending OEM USB cables and I/O shield USB ports before you update. The Monoprice MicroUSB cables and FP USB didn't work for me.

Yay Mango!

Last edited:
Forced the update and got it at 3 this afternoon and wasn't too long after that I ran the battery down playing with all the new features. I left it charging at home while I attended my son's "Parents Day" at his school. Definitely much snappier and more fluid, almost felt like a slight overclock :)

Got Mango (as well as a random firmware update) for my DVP/Tmobile earlier this afternoon. It updated off of the Mango beta as well which was nice!

What are some of the new Windows phones coming out? I've only found these after some searching...

http://mango.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-US/buy/7/default.aspx

Not really impressed with any of them.

Yeah, this is really Windows Phone biggest problem, the hardware just isn't there. It's a shame that Microsoft doesn't make it's own phone, damn it would be sweet device with the OS they have now.

I do wonder at some point that that option isn't on Microsoft's list of possibilities. I'm pretty sure that with good marketing and carrier relationships that it would be the #2 phone in sales instantly though it would be less profitable and perhaps lead to OEM relationship problems critical to Microsoft's PC business is far more important than phones, for now.

But in looking at Microsoft's strategy with Windows 8 it looks like Windows Phone 8 is going to be Windows 8 period, and Intel is working on x86 phones. 2012 and the first Nokia phones and the convergence of Windows Phone into Windows is where we will need to see the true fate on Windows Phones.

Back to the present, my HTC Arrive got the official RTM update today, I had a leaked RTM on it for some time so I've not noticed anything really in different yet. But gee, I just love this OS for a phone, it's just so elegant and smooth and straightforward and the app library is actually very good now and it's growing pretty quickly especially for the market size of Windows Phone currently.

Typing this post from my mango'd zune hd/ipod touch 1st gen replacement :D

Aka, Samsung focus.
used the network d/c trick, since I don't have a sim card for this. Hw v1.3, though. Probably going to get a prepaid sim for it.

And boy do I like the multitasking. I hope ICS makes my atrix at least capable of that :D

In the meantime, seriously considering using this as my primary phone till ICS drops :eek:

Its only been one day since I bought it, however. But I like it better than the zunehd for the role it fills right now.

Last edited:
I don't really understand the hardware complaint.. sure, higher specs look more impressive.. but this OS doesn't really need it at the moment.

MS has been quoted as saying that they haven't added support for dual cores because they aren't seeing the kind of performance gains that would make it an acceptable trade-off in terms of performance vs cost/battery life.

My nearly 1 yr old Focus boots to a usable OS state faster than my Galaxy S II android device..

Android, as we know, is designed to work on a lot of hardware.. but it is poorly optimized. It needs hardware like the galaxy s II to run properly with all of that carrier and manufacturer bloatware installed.

I love android for several reasons, but there is no doubt in my mind that Windows Phone has superior performance regardless of the hardware gap.

The Focus S has hardware pretty close to on-par with the Infuse 4G, which only got released a few months ago.. so it certainly isn't lagging behind all of the android devices in terms of specs.

Man, I can't seem to disconnect from my wireless network in time to make the update appear.

Maybe later on today then...:(

I don't really understand the hardware complaint.. sure, higher specs look more impressive.. but this OS doesn't really need it at the moment.

MS has been quoted as saying that they haven't added support for dual cores because they aren't seeing the kind of performance gains that would make it an acceptable trade-off in terms of performance vs cost/battery life.

My nearly 1 yr old Focus boots to a usable OS state faster than my Galaxy S II android device..

Android, as we know, is designed to work on a lot of hardware.. but it is poorly optimized. It needs hardware like the galaxy s II to run properly with all of that carrier and manufacturer bloatware installed.

I love android for several reasons, but there is no doubt in my mind that Windows Phone has superior performance regardless of the hardware gap.

The Focus S has hardware pretty close to on-par with the Infuse 4G, which only got released a few months ago.. so it certainly isn't lagging behind all of the android devices in terms of specs.
My only real complaint about the hardware is screen resolution. I'd be all in for taking a chance with Mango if there were a phone with the screen of an Evo 3D or Sensation. That's just a personal preference for me.

Finally timed it right, 7392 is installing now, 2 to go <fingers crossed>

Edit: after all that trying, I got it right twice in a row. 7392 and 7403 are on, and 7720 (Mango) is installing now:D 7720 just automatically started as soon as 7403 finished.

Last edited:
Finally timed it right, 7392 is installing now, 2 to go <fingers crossed>

Edit: after all that trying, I got it right twice in a row. 7392 and 7403 are on, and 7720 (Mango) is installing now:D 7720 just automatically started as soon as 7403 finished.

yup yup, this happened to me, too :D

I've also stopped using the Atrix for now. Only app I'm looking for is something similar to 3G Watchdog, but that's it.

Now I regret getting the atrix.

Unless if ics does something wonderful, I wasted 100usd when I could of gotten my focus for free, here's to saying specs = jack shit without software. IMO.

Even the kb has gotten much better in mango, unrelated note...

My only real complaint about the hardware is screen resolution. I'd be all in for taking a chance with Mango if there were a phone with the screen of an Evo 3D or Sensation. That's just a personal preference for me.

Ok, this one I can understand.

Higher screen resolution would be nice.

Many of those devices use a pentile matrix shortcut to get their display resolution, though.. which has a fewer number of subpixels.. I don't know if that is true for the 3D or the sensation in particular, though. i know it was true for the Atrix 4G, though.. that screen was rather disappointing.

Ok, this one I can understand.

Higher screen resolution would be nice.

Many of those devices use a pentile matrix shortcut to get their display resolution, though.. which has a fewer number of subpixels.. I don't know if that is true for the 3D or the sensation in particular, though. i know it was true for the Atrix 4G, though.. that screen was rather disappointing.

atrix and photon do. Sensation and a few others don't.

On the atrix's 4", it doesn't matter as much (imo, cause I have one).

However, the annoying red streaking got at me enough.

though, the Moto pentile is better than the more common pentile because the duplicated blue is replaced with a white Element (don't ask...)and the elements are evenly square shaped, unliked the deformed ones on the older pentile layout.

I agree. I don't think Windows Phone needs a lot of processor power, just better devices in other areas, like cameras, screens, that sort of thing. I love my HTC Arrive but the camera sucks.

Woot, can't wait to have Mango and Gingerbread on my HD2 :D

Looks like I got more than I bargained for. I wanted my new Focus to replace an old Zune HD, and now I am having a hard time deciding whether to use my Atrix or Focus as a primary phone. For email, zune, and browser alone, I'd choose the Focus. I think WP7 squanders a bit of it's 800x480 resolution at times, but the multitasking alone makes it worthwhile. The overall interface doesn't seem to need workarounds (i.e, in CM7 Atrix, I can set my back key long press to force kill an application - which I used almost daily :eek:), since I haven't found myself missing any of the neat shortcuts I eventually learned to set throughout my Atrix and old Aria (also Inspire, G SII I didn't keep long enough to do much to it); unlike iOS [iPhone 3gs, ipod touch 1g, ipad 2], where I do often find myself wondering the logical reasoning of Apple at times (like the menu depth reqired for simply disabling WiFi, for example - even in WP7, you can set shortcuts, android CM7 puts the toggles right in the notification drop down!).

I think the easiest way to explain this is I'm used to Android, and it's definately, IMO, a more mature platform. iOS... is like a very dumbed down version of WP7, and saved only by the sheer quality of it's applications. WP7 has room to grow (like Android), but is still useable today.

Overall, I think I'll keep the focus as my primary for now, and decide whether to get the Focus S and sell the atrix, or wait till the next major software updates on either platform. I don't think iOS 5 will make the interface any better, but I'll still keep an eye out for that.

I'm finding myself more drawn to Mango than anything else, especially since I saw the HTC Titan.

Im kind of interested in getting a new WP7 phone. What should I jump on guys? Ive been looking at the Dell Venue Pro, but I can only get it unlocked.

Hmm, thats the thing though, Im trying to replace a phone that will surely die soon, and also switch carriers. Im currently on a family plan with verizon but its just too expensive. Maybe I should just make a new thread about this.

Get the HD2 from T-mobile, you can run your choice of Android or Windows Phone 7 =D

Back