Tobit's BigOS - Preliminary Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobit

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2010/May 2011
Joined
Dec 12, 2005
Messages
5,145
Tobit's BigOS

This is a preliminary discussion thread to see if there is any interest in me continuing development on this project.

What is it?

I recently started working on a minimal, heavily stripped down, binary distribution of Gentoo Linux with a kernel optimized and tweaked for A2 crunching with a specific emphasis on bigadv crunching. I currently have it configured to allow for relatively easy transfer to other computers.

Who is it for?

It is for those who want to run Linux, native, on dedicated hardware and want to maximize their A2 and bigadv performance on Intel Core2 Quads, i5/i7's, and related Xeons. It is compiled specifically for these CPUs and it will not work on others.

It is also an ideal platform for those who want to learn how to interact with Linux on a more intimate level, from the command line interface. If several of us here in the forum are all using the same system, it becomes much easier to support as a community.

Tools Included

sshd - for remote secure telnet access from your main desktop rig
screen - a "window manager" for console sessions (more on this later and how it is useful for those not familiar with it)
stresscpu2 - GROMACS based stability testing utility
lm_sensors - Library and utilities for reading core temperature and motherboard voltages
BOINC - latest development version for those who don't want to run FAH. BOINC is easy to setup to manage remotely
SMP2 v6.29 - Preinstalled, ready to configure

I have not included any CUDA drivers but this would be easy enough to do if there was interest.

Performance

How does it perform?

I am showing a minute improvement per frame over Ubuntu with bigadv crunching on my Core i7 @ 4GHz. However, in Kendrak's testing, it is a little slower for him on his dual Xeon rig but I am still tweaking a few things with the kernel.

Summary

I am a bit miffed that I am still unable to get turboboost working for Kendrak and I am disappointed he isn't getting at least the same performance he was getting under Ubuntu. I am in no way finished tweaking this but it is making me second guess whether this is a worthwhile project to keep investing time in especially considering bigadv will ultimately be coming to Windows platforms. Only die-hard Linux freaks, such as me, will want to continue using Linux. However, this is why I've started this thread.. to see what real interest there is. I know a couple people, over the months, have asked me to attempt something like this so here it is.
 
Well, even if it comes to windows, one would think a dedicated bigadv box would benefit from Linux over native windows bigadv any day

That said, you mention A2 alot, does this mean it would be worse off than evga at A3?

I'm building a GPU rig right now but wouldn't mind trying this out A3 wise on my i7, then switch it over to bigadv after I get some numbers for ya

Thanks for doing this, even by just putting it out it would allow the community to carry on, but I highly doubt you'll disapear tomorrow, especially since your still on my threat list (that won't last long)

I'm rusty with Linux but if you've got some instructions drawn up already (I thought you said you did) I wouldn't mind putting this on my i7 tonight when I wake up
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
I finally have my i5-750 stable @4.0 which i think will finnish a bigadv on time. but i am clueless about linux. How hard would this be for a windows guy to get working?
 
That said, you mention A2 alot, does this mean it would be worse off than evga at A3?
I didn't mention A3's because there is little to no performance difference on Linux vs. Windows when A3's are concerned. Both perform almost the same with a slight advantage to Windows actually. If one is only interested in A3's, they should stick with whatever platform they like the most. This is primarily for bigadv users who also crunch the occasional A3.

Regarding ease of installation, Kendrak had no problems so that says a lot. :p :D
 
I like the idea, and would be VERY glad to help, I have really wanted to dig deep into Linux and modifying it. I'm not good at it yet, but would be willing to put in the time!!!
 
I'm surprised A3 works better on windows, but I think it's still worth releasing BigOS right now, there's a lot of ppl with quads/i5/i7 out there who'd start folding with this.

So I vote release TobigOS for CoreQuad/i5/i7 v1 for now =)
 
I'm surprised A3 works better on windows, but I think it's still worth releasing BigOS right now, there's a lot of ppl with quads/i5/i7 out there who'd start folding with this.

So I vote release TobigOS for CoreQuad/i5/i7 v1 for now =)

I'll second this vote, and would certainly encourage further development if it's feasible to you Tobit. I've got no knowledge of running F@H from a comand environment, but have often wondered how much of a difference it might make when crunching the numbers. It would have to be much better than supporting all the additional resources required in a graphical environment.
 
Last edited:
I'm interested, but my dedicated folding box has a 9800GX2 and 9800GT in it. How hard would it be to get them folding with your Linux version? If not too difficult then I would definitely drop Windows 7 on this box.
 
I'm interested, but my dedicated folding box has a 9800GX2 and 9800GT in it. How hard would it be to get them folding with your Linux version? If not too difficult then I would definitely drop Windows 7 on this box.
Very easy. I will be making mini-guides available that walk through many of the stuff like this.
 
Here is another nice utility I plan on adding to the OS. i7z is a nice console mode utility to monitor tuboboost, and C and P-States.

Output from my i7 rig locked at 4GHz without turbo:

Code:
Cpu speed from cpuinfo 4000.49Mhz
cpuinfo might be wrong if cpufreq is enabled. To guess correctly try estimating
Linux's inbuilt cpu_khz code emulated now
True Frequency (without accounting Turbo) 4000 MHz
CPU Multiplier 20x || Bus clock frequency (BCLK) 200.00 MHz
TURBO DISABLED on 4 Cores, Hyper Threading ON
True Frequency 4000.00 MHz (200.00 x [20])
  Max TURBO (if Enabled) with 1/2 Core  active 22x / 21x
  Max TURBO (if Enabled) with 3/4 Cores active 21x / 21x

Current Freqs
True Frequency 4007.98 MHz (Intel specifies largest of below to be running Freq)

        Processor 1:  3999.74 (20.00x)     1    99.9       0       0
        Processor 2:  4007.11 (20.04x)     1    99.9       0       0
        Processor 3:  4006.47 (20.03x)     1    99.9       0       0
        Processor 4:  4007.98 (20.04x)     1    99.9       0       0

C0 = Processor running without halting
C1 = Processor running with halts (States >C0 are power saver)
C3 = Cores running with PLL turned off and core cache turned off
C6 = Everything in C3 + core state saved to last level cache

Above values in table are in percentage over the last 1 sec
 Total Logical Cores: [8], Total Physical Cores: [4]
 
Regardless of A3 bigadv performance, you are still talking about a free OS for dedicated folding rigs that will be a lot more turn-key than a standard Linux OS. That is a huge win. Stick it on a USB drive and you would be all set to quickly be up and testing a new machine.

One suggestion is to add smbd as standard if you don't have it already. A script to set up shares would be a good idea as well. That way, you would be set out of the box for HFM, FahMon, etc.

I am behind this project 100%, and will help out in any way I can. I just wish it existed 3 months ago...
 
Stick it on a USB drive and you would be all set to quickly be up and testing a new machine. One suggestion is to add smbd as standard if you don't have it already.
I don't trust bigadv to run from a USB stick, it really needs a a hard drive at a minimum. This OS will require a 2GB USB stick to install from and a SATA hard drive to install to. I do not have PATA configured in the kernel and this image isn't setup to handle both types.

Samba is already enabled and configured by default. :cool:
 
this sounds like a great project! i would be interested in trying it out, but would need a helpful guide
 
The share is set up in the image.

The only thing I can see is have a guide on how to change the system name on the network if your running 2 or more of these boxes.
 
The only thing I can see is have a guide on how to change the system name on the network if your running 2 or more of these boxes.
I've got this covered on my list of things to document as well. Very simple to do!
 
The share is set up in the image.

The only thing I can see is have a guide on how to change the system name on the network if your running 2 or more of these boxes.

Static IP address also comes to mind. Both are pretty easy, but are not nearly as obvious as "right-click on My Computer and select properties, etc., etc."
 
Static IP address also comes to mind. Both are pretty easy, but are not nearly as obvious as "right-click on My Computer and select properties, etc., etc."
I have it setup with DHCP now but I have it so is easy to switch back to static if needed. I run static here myself but Kendrak needed DHCP.
 
I have it setup with DHCP now but I have it so is easy to switch back to static if needed. I run static here myself but Kendrak needed DHCP.

I'm the " If this idiot can get it to work" test.

I've been into computers since before I have memories, but no formal training.
 
Count me in as interested in your project Tobit. I prefer *nix any day.

I'm gathering pennies for my very first -bigadv rig. Should be ready to go in about 9 months .... or so. Gunna start making my lunch every morning for work instead of buying lunch every $ingle day. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it. :D
 
I vote for a rename... maybe Tobit's SlimOS (since it's stripped down)...
I don't get the "Big" :D

I'd be happy to come up with a logo or something. :)
 
As long as there are guides to enable multi-GPU folding, I am definitely interested :)...I'm not very linux fluent, but have worked with it enough to feel comfortable giving this a shot.

Also, I think it would be a good idea to include a few utilities to test system stability...Anyway, good luck with your project and I'm looking forward to trying it out!
 
I vote for a rename... maybe Tobit's SlimOS (since it's stripped down)...
I don't get the "Big" :D
Big as in bigadv.. BigOS.. or maybe it's just an oxymoron. :p
 
How about adding the - then, maybe even drop the case
ie Tobit's -bigOS :) I kinda like it now that you mentioned big as in bigadv
 
Once you get this out, you know what it will mean to have a free OS for folding? Especially since you plan on opening up GPU folding with a guide. I think we'll need a whole guide sticky JUST for this, keep a whole area dedicated to just the guides, and keep it closed. Maybe we can get 2 stickies, one only a few can post in, and another for general errors and questions that anyone can ask or answer, atleast until we have a semi stable release.

This is a great idea man, and In my opinion, maybe the best thing to come along for this teAm in a while. And not just this team, I'm sure this will spread out in time (which means somewhere in the OS you've got to put the hard logo, just because lol) just like the EVGA vm has. In my opinion, a donation is deserved for this, this is a huge thing for the community and I wouldn't mind throwing a few bucks behind you just to show my thanks :)
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
In my opinion, a donation is deserved for this, this is a huge thing for the community and I wouldn't mind throwing a few bucks behind you just to show my thanks :)
Sure, just send Skynet up here. :p Seriously, donations will not be accepted by me.. that's not how I fold. This, I am doing for me firstly. There are only a few more steps needed to make it shareable with others.
 
I'm not saying buy it from ya, but this is huge for us. If you ever want to buy something I sell you'll get a little off

but I don't think we can say thanks enough for this
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
As long as there are guides to enable multi-GPU folding, I am definitely interested :)...I'm not very linux fluent, but have worked with it enough to feel comfortable giving this a shot.

Also, I think it would be a good idea to include a few utilities to test system stability...Anyway, good luck with your project and I'm looking forward to trying it out!

Multi-GPU folding is actually pretty easy in Linux. Better yet, with all of the recent issues with driver crashes, I have not had any issues on my 4 cards, all in Linux.

GPU monitoring on the other hand...not so much. GPU overclocking - again, not so much.
 
Multi-GPU folding is actually pretty easy in Linux. Better yet, with all of the recent issues with driver crashes, I have not had any issues on my 4 cards, all in Linux.

GPU monitoring on the other hand...not so much. GPU overclocking - again, not so much.

OC in windows, determine stable spec and flash the cards BIOS :)
 
If you can get CUDA support to work and document it well I think your OS would be very popular. It would eliminate the need for windowz and provide an OS for people on a budget. Count me in if you need a beta tester.
 
slightly off topic, you better OC alot nitro, I'm 2 days from mowing you lol
 
slightly off topic, you better OC alot nitro, I'm 2 days from mowing you lol

Yea my replacement X8DTL-i arrived today.
And im going to post a bigadv tonight as well :)

Im all CPU right now :cool:

I think the savings from not running GPUs will allow me to build another dually in 6 months :D
 
thats what I'm hoping for, I plan to e down from 9 GPUs to 1 in 3-4 weeks
 
This has such great potential. Really looking forward to trying this out.
 
+1 Peaked my interest almost gave me a chubby.

No almost here. I've had no experience with Linux beyond running a notfred's VM, which is pretty dang simple really.
 
I just wish I had a rig I could use to help you test and work out the bugs on this. Unfortunately, being unemployed and broke is not conducive to getting new hardware. I also don't really know jack about Linux despite what little help I've tried to give around here. I can install it and use it without too much trouble (and a lot of googling) but that's about as much as I can do with it for the most part.

As it is, I'm probably bringing an old Athlon XP-m system back online just so I have a machine to mess around with different Linux distros. And before anyone goes on about VMs, I don't find VMs to be a replacement for messing around with different OSes since I want to see how they perform and work natively. I'd really love to have my old Athlon X2 system back as it was perfect for being a testbed. For folding it didn't put out a lot of points so I didn't feel bad about taking it out of action and it was slow enough and yet fast enough to run just about everything and give me a feel for how something would perform on a faster system.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top