Tobit's Afternoon Delight

Tobit

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2010/May 2011
Joined
Dec 12, 2005
Messages
5,145
Here is how I am spending my Monday afternoon. Installing Win7 and Linux right now, will clean up the wiring some more after.

t9k1sj.jpg
 
Dual L5640's on an Asus Z8NA-D6C motherboard. The motherboard is a loaner from Musky (thanks) til I can get my SR-2 in December.
 
You'll get decent production out of that with turbo enabled.
 
I also have a GTX460 that arrived today, it will be replacing one of my G92 cards.. probably my single slot 8800GT.
 
Thank god! If the mailman didn't deliver that today, there would have been hell to pay... :)

It looks kinda puny in that giant case though....
 
Thank god! If the mailman didn't deliver that today, there would have been hell to pay... :)
Check your email for the damaged box photo. ugh. :confused:
 
are you booting from that crucial USB stick?

ASUS' mobos could be so awesome, if they would only friggin OC! :mad:
 
are you booting from that crucial USB stick?
Kinda.. that's a lil 2GB stick that has a minimal Linux install on it for partitioning and system testing.
 
GTX460 is now folding @ 1780 shaders. 14K PPD on a p11245. Entire farm is currently doing 52K PPD. Time to go finish the hex build now.
 
What memory are you running on that? i have Kendrak's old one that is slowly being put together but i'm lost on what ram to buy.
 
What memory are you running on that? i have Kendrak's old one that is slowly being put together but i'm lost on what ram to buy.
It's running a hodge-podge of what musky had laying around. Not sure on the specifics, I really didn't look at the sticks and they are running in dual channel mode as there are only two sticks per CPU. Less than ideal but it does run bigadv as musky was running it for a little while like this. I am probably going to buy my SR-2 memory next month for it and slap it in here for the time being. Still undecided on the sticks I will be using.
 
What memory are you running on that? i have Kendrak's old one that is slowly being put together but i'm lost on what ram to buy.

It's running a hodge-podge of what musky had laying around. Not sure on the specifics, I really didn't look at the sticks and they are running in dual channel mode as there are only two sticks per CPU. Less than ideal but it does run bigadv as musky was running it for a little while like this. I am probably going to buy my SR-2 memory next month for it and slap it in here for the time being. Still undecided on the sticks I will be using.

Real high-performance stuff...1 x 2Gb stick of Corsair XMS3(?) PC1600, 1 x 2Gb stick of OCZ Gold PC1600 the fails at PC1600, but runs perfectly at PC1333, and 2 x 1Gb sticks of Kingston ValueRam PC1333. Hodge-podge is the right word...

If I were starting from scratch, I would probably go with the cheapest PC1333 I could get (the Kingston ValueRam was the cheapest when I bought it.) I'd get 1Gb chips x 6, although you could definately go with 2Gb chips if you actually needed 12 Gb. The thing to remember is that there is no overclocking and no overvolting, so you really don't need much in the way of memory. The best you are going to do is PC1333, although I am not convinced that the board really can force PC1333.

This current setup would benefit greatly from 2 more sticks of PC1333 or higher DDR3, in case anyone has some. Going double channel to triple channel is a decent jump in performance.
 
Real high-performance stuff...1 x 2Gb stick of Corsair XMS3(?) PC1600, 1 x 2Gb stick of OCZ Gold PC1600 the fails at PC1600, but runs perfectly at PC1333, and 2 x 1Gb sticks of Kingston ValueRam PC1333. Hodge-podge is the right word...

If I were starting from scratch, I would probably go with the cheapest PC1333 I could get (the Kingston ValueRam was the cheapest when I bought it.) I'd get 1Gb chips x 6, although you could definately go with 2Gb chips if you actually needed 12 Gb. The thing to remember is that there is no overclocking and no overvolting, so you really don't need much in the way of memory. The best you are going to do is PC1333, although I am not convinced that the board really can force PC1333.

This current setup would benefit greatly from 2 more sticks of PC1333 or higher DDR3, in case anyone has some. Going double channel to triple channel is a decent jump in performance.

Thanks guys, looks like it will either be Corsair or Kingston valueram for me:cool:
 
Admit it, you put it in that orientation so the HSFs would look like boobies.
 
Back in Feb./Mar., Kendrak and I were never able to get turbo to engage on this motherboard when using Linux.. tried for days we did. However, I am glad to say it is now working. Under full load, turbo has kicked in with no problems.

28aojh0.jpg
 
Back in Feb./Mar., Kendrak and I were never able to get turbo to engage on this motherboard when using Linux.. tried for days we did. However, I am glad to say it is now working. Under full load, turbo has kicked in with no problems.

28aojh0.jpg

This one has a newer bios...that may be the difference. I guess I never had a chip with turbo in that thing while running Linux. The E5530s did not have turbo, and the X5550s and L5640s were always under Windows. Good to know, actually.
 
tobit@europa ~ $ uname -a
Linux europa 2.6.35-zen2 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Mon Oct 4 16:44:00 EDT 2010 x86_64 Genuine Intel(R) CPU 000 @ 2.27GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Currently crunching a bigadv 23m 50s frame times for 81.3K PPD -- pretty nice for stock clocks actually.
 
tobit@europa ~ $ uname -a
Linux europa 2.6.35-zen2 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Mon Oct 4 16:44:00 EDT 2010 x86_64 Genuine Intel(R) CPU 000 @ 2.27GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Currently crunching a bigadv 23m 50s frame times for 81.3K PPD -- pretty nice for stock clocks actually.

With a TPF of 23:50 on a bigadv, I am coming up with different numbers. Linuxforge's calculator shows a PPD of 54k with a total of 88k for that entire work unit.
 
With a TPF of 23:50 on a bigadv, I am coming up with different numbers. Linuxforge's calculator shows a PPD of 54k with a total of 88k for that entire work unit.
This particular bigadv isn't on the calculator. Not all are the same. ;)
 
This particular bigadv isn't on the calculator. Not all are the same. ;)

Damn you beta testers!

Well, I won't demand that you spill the beans since I could never get Evil to spill the beans on something. But as soon as something happens you better keep us updated, damnit!
 
With a TPF of 23:50 on a bigadv, I am coming up with different numbers. Linuxforge's calculator shows a PPD of 54k with a total of 88k for that entire work unit.
Do you have a Win 7 and Linux dual boot setup?
 
Do you have a Win 7 and Linux dual boot setup?
Yup, but I am running this bigadv on Linux via WINE right now. Wanted to see how it worked and it's doing quite well.
 
Yup, but I am running this bigadv on Linux via WINE right now. Wanted to see how it worked and it's doing quite well.
Ahh, that's exactly what I had thought. Wouldn't you see better performance in native Windows? I could understand if you want this to be your main system and prefer to stick to Linux.
 
Ahh, that's exactly what I had thought. Wouldn't you see better performance in native Windows?
Actually that is proving not to be the case. Before musky sent me this board and my CPUs, I had him run this same unit under my name on Windows 7. It ran a little bit slower than what I am seeing now.

I have a very minimal Linux install here compiled with a custom kernel with the BFS scheduler, preemptive kernel, and a couple other kernel tweaks. I have very little overhead with this setup. This is how I prefer to run most of my folding clients and really wish bigadv would return to native Linux.
 
Actually that is proving not to be the case. Before musky sent me this board and my CPUs, I had him run this same unit under my name on Windows 7. It ran a little bit slower than what I am seeing now.
All I could say is wow...

I have a very minimal Linux install here compiled with a custom kernel with the BFS scheduler, preemptive kernel, and a couple other kernel tweaks. I have very little overhead with this setup. This is how I prefer to run most of my folding clients and really wish bigadv would return to native Linux.
You and me both, and I'm sure we have lots of company although perhaps not on this forum so much. Despite the fact I was running an older and 'heavier' Linux distro, it was very light relatively speaking especially for a GUI install. For example, when I had 4GB RAM installed I was seeing over 3900MB available for my folding clients; compare that to the overhead we normally see in Windows. I could imagine the optimizations you have built into your customized install.
 
Apollo:

My first bigadv on WINE is only 46% complete so it's a bit early to tell but it is continuing to run quite well so here as some early numbers. I'll report back the final numbers when it finishes tomorrow.

Same project although different trajectory:

My Linux via WINE:

Min. Time / Frame : 00:23:42 - 82,153.7 PPD
Avg. Time / Frame : 00:23:57 - 80,870.7 PPD

Windows 7:

Min. Time / Frame : 00:24:51 - 76,517.3 PPD
Avg. Time / Frame : 00:25:05 - 75,452.2 PPD
 
Tobit ....

show us da boobies!

hahaha
 
Back
Top