To those of you who have a cool rig, What's your actual job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
im a 17yr old little bitch who begs their parents for stuff. jk, i had some paintball gear i sold to make my computer and im very grateful to have this computer. Once i get a job im gonna make another way better one. gonna be awesome.

Full time student. I graduate from college with a Bachelor of Arts Degree on May 14th. Next fall I will continue my education with graduate work, working towards a Masters of Divinity. In short, I'm studying to be a pastor.

For three years now, during the school year, I have worked at a factory which packages various products for 3M. I am part of the crew that is all college students. We work the weekends, and can also work during the week, if we want, and we get to pretty much make our own schedule. This year, my final year there, I am supervisor of the college crew. I make $8.50/hr. On the weekends, unless the regular 1st and 2nd shifts are working mandatory OT, which sometimes happens depending on workload, I am in charge of the entire factory. I believe I am also the only non-upper management that has a key to the building.

Last summer I worked for 4 weeks as a counselor at a summer camp. I'm doing it again this summer for the months of June and July. I'm also hoping that they'll need some staff for a couple weeks in August, and I can continue there for a few weeks, otherwise I'll be sitting around doing nothing until I go back to school. Pay isn't great, but the job is a lot of fun.

I run an account for a really big company for another really big company. It's fun. Mostly logistics management.

IC7Max3/3.0Pres/1GB Corsair ULL Pro DDR500/AIW9800Pro/PX716A/480WAntec TruBlue/Some Hdd's/an Audigy/ and a soon to be replaced piece of crap Scorpio Midtower.
+ a couple of decent A64 rigs.

I'm a former game dev, now working for a small software company outside of DC.
Stats in my sig are of my main box.

I am currently a full time student studying Architecture and Urban Planning from Auburn University at our Birmingham studio and will graduate on May 13th. After that I am taking a job as an intern architect in Atlanta.

Claxon said:
Manufacturing Engineer, Verari Systems Inc.

$14.00 per hour.

Fun=no
Rewarding=no
Pays the bills=...sometimes
Sometimes???? What's your power company use for your power? atomic bombs??? You get 14 per hour, and you can only pay the bills sometimes????? :confused: you have to be kidding???
Edit: I work at Albertsons making minimum wage...I used to work at Wal Mart, where I made8 somethin an hour, that's when I started putting together my rig....but now I have an apartment with my wife and friend

Well, I don't have the coolest rigs, but I'll post anyway...
My current job is as an IT help desk consultant, but it's for my university's help desk, where I'm double majoring in english and medieval studies with a minor in history. My plan is to become an english professor, albeit a computer-geek one. I just got promoted to senior consultant, so I now make $9.75/h, but this summer I will get a raise to 10.05/h. I usually work about 25 hours/week, and this summer will be full time. I do not want to do IT help for the rest of my life, I want computers to become a hobby. Being a professor will be a sweet job...you get an office, and power, and the ability to fail freshmen... :D

Working at saverite in produce making 6.25 an hour from 14-30 hours a week and finishing my last year of high school. Any job that pays any decent amount of that I can do has been shipped overseas
frown.gif
read: manufacturing

Im finishing my senior year of high school then going to college.. so it will be a while before I have a job and a cool rig.

Comp/Net admin for a school district, 4 schools about 500 computers. Theres one more full time admin and 2 high school lacky's to manage the district. I only get paid $11/hr but i get full health, dental, and a decent retirement plan. I dont think its 2 bad since im only 18.

Sometimes???? What's your power company use for your power? atomic bombs??? You get 14 per hour, and you can only pay the bills sometimes????? you have to be kidding???

Yes...sometimes. I live in San Diego, CA, The high rent capital of the universe. I have aprox. $1500 dollars worth of bills every month and a horrible addiction to bleeding edge computer hardware. :p

So my $14.00 an hour justs cuts it...sometimes :p

Claxon said:
Yes...sometimes. I live in San Diego, CA, The high rent capital of the universe. I have aprox. $1500 dollars worth of bills every month and a horrible addiction to bleeding edge computer hardware. :p

So my $14.00 an hour justs cuts it...sometimes :p
Friend, I feel very sorry for you! :p Just can't pass up that next great hardware deal, eh? ;)

dont know if i have a "cool" rig or not. but iam a IT/helpdesk in a community college. the pay is great. hours are decent, my boss is awesome and the people here are fun. I get 15/hr to play miniclip pool, post on [H], install win xp and then ghost it and reinstall onto PCs everynow and then. i do about 2 hrs of work on a typical day. the rest of the time, i fool around and enjoy it.BTW - i am student @ this college, so its fairly decent pay.

Quake said:
This might be an unusual question for some but just wanting to know if people here work in jobs NOT related to computers and that for them, this is just a hobby.

I build my own machines and I'm a firefighter.

Well my rig is the total opposite of cool, but I test embedded firmware for devices that's probably keeping your power on right now... ;)

Seeing as how I have done no modding on my current/new system yet the first part of the question doesn't apply to me but I figured I'd join in the fun anyway. I work at an elementary and as the kids like to put it I'm the "computer guy". It's in a very rich zipcode so the pay is decent and I get a bunch of time off. My schedule just about follows the school year. An even though I'm not in the teacher's union I get the same benefits. It works out very nicely.

It mainly consists of telling people to restart and reading the news. Sooner or later I want to find something a little more technical but this job is just too cozy.

Client Support for national Kiosk (Fancy POSes) company. 9-5 job working 12-3. 15ish an hour...

holy crap, all you guys are youngens! I've been in the IT industry for 7 years, I'm a Cisco Network Engineer, CCNP.. and I do contract work for around $30/hr. :eek:

i'm 19, i work on an assembly line for an automotive manufacturer, i get paid 34.14$ an hour to hit a few bolts with an airhammer every now and then.

Cool rig is in the works as we speak.
I'm 23 TODAY! 4/15/1982 BABY
I work in customer Service (anthem federal employee insurance program) making 12.00 an hour, but a raise should be on the way? I hate my job with a passion, but I have to work. I have a wife (full time student til may7th) and 10month old daughter, in the process of owning my car (aka still making monthly pymts) and we rent for now.

I'm 23. I just started (December) as THE Network Manager at a Finical Investment Management Company. I got Uber lucky getting this job. I'm the only tech guy here, and it rocks. I make $22.50/h Although in 2 months i get a raise for being here for 6 months.

My box isn't anything to share. But I am considering putting something decent together

23, Texas peace officer. Currently a jailor with the county, making me an overpaid babysitter with a gun :D
Currently have a 2TB fileserver with minimal impressive specs, well rounded HTPC, and a pretty decent AthyXP 3000 rig that I'm going to replace with my very first mod for myself. I've done work for others but never had the dough to do one for myself. Going to be AMD64 to get me another step forward in technology.

SPECS
AMD XP3000+ (TEC Cooled)
1GB Corsair XMS RAM
Chaintech Zenith 7NJS (Decenot mobo, lousy company)
64MB eVGA crapola video card (I'm not a gamer)
Pioneer DVDRW
180GB drivespace locally
15"LCD (Nice but too small)
Speakers built into monitor (good ones on HTPC)

Well my rig is nothing too great but I basically build and sell computers and ebay soem things. I'm 17 with no job so i guess my rig is pretty good.

When i start college in the fall I've already got a job thier and an offer to work at my current school from my counselor (dunno how serius she was) as a tech/graphic designer (I made a few logos for her and fixed a bunch of things).

Dead end job as a helpdesk agent supporting stupid people trying to use computer for first time to do online banking or viewing their stocks online. Was told when started could move out of helpdesk to System Integration or MIS, 5yrs gone still not able to move. Pay rate sucks=12.50/hour( took 5yrs of pay raises to get this rate)

Computer sucks since I bought a gateway. built first comp but was too lazy to build current one so bought the gateway. looking to build another this fall. won't be too much of a power deamon since I don't game on pc much just on consoles.

Jeepstr73 said:
Dead end job as a helpdesk agent supporting stupid people trying to use computer for first time to do online banking or viewing their stocks online. Was told when started could move out of helpdesk to System Integration or MIS, 5yrs gone still not able to move. Pay rate sucks=12.50/hour( took 5yrs of pay raises to get this rate)

Computer sucks since I bought a gateway. built first comp but was too lazy to build current one so bought the gateway. looking to build another this fall. won't be too much of a power deamon since I don't game on pc much just on consoles.

IT industry pay blows period. Im still struggling to figure out how to afford to move into my own place *sigh...... :(

Patent Searcher (owner)

Paid very well, flexible hours, work out of home

Box 1P4C800-E-Deluxe, 3.4C O/C to 3.74(stock vcore, Thermalright XP-90OCZ 3200 VX (2.5/2/2/5 @ 3.4v, OCZ 600W Powerstream, OCZ DDR Booster

Patent Searcher (owner) 10+ years now

Paid very, very well, flexible hours, work out of home.
Best career ever had, get to learn something new every day, read patents/literature, look at technical pictures/drawings, while getting radiated by my six CRTs. I probably "glow" a little bit.

After hours when work schedule permits, turn into alter ego "Musashi" on CS:S, Joint Ops, Battlefield:Vietnam.

Box 1 ASUS P4C800-E-Deluxe, CPU Intel 3.4C O/C to 3.74, FSB 220 (stock vcore), HS- Thermalright XP-90 with 92mm Vantec Tornado at 7v, 2*512 of OCZ 3200 VX (2.5/2/2/5 @ 3.4v) on OCZ DDR Booster), OCZ 600W Powerstream, Audigy 2ZS, Sapphire X800XT-PE using Arctic Silencer with 2- 19" AOC monitors

Box 2 DFI LANPARTY 875PRO rev-B, CPU Intel 2.4C O/C to 3.18 (with backup spare Intel 2.4C both great O/Cers), FSB 265 (1.6 vcore), HS -Thermalright XP-90 with 92mm Vantec Tornado at 7v, 2*512 of OCZ 4400 Gold LE(2.5/4/4/8 @ 2.85v), OCZ 600W Powerstream, Audigy 2, ATI Radeon 9800 PRO with Arctic Silencer with 2- 19" AOC monitors

Box 3 QDI P4I865GA-6AL (stupid pick for mobo, but was my first build, runs stable at stock speeds), CPU Intel 2.4C, HS- Thermalright XP-90 with 92mm Vantec Tornado at 7v, 4*512 of Kingston HyperX KHX3200A (2/3/2/5), OCZ 520W Powerstream, Audigy 2, ATI Radeon 9700 PRO with Arctic Silencer with 2- 17" AOC monitors

Printers - 3 Samsung 1710 USB laser printers. Everything on local network.

I'm a jeweler, well wax carver, first step in the production process. with aspirations of becoming the head designer/wax carver in the future. My jewelry store is one of the best in the country, we cater to high end clients as well as everybody else. the largest diamond I've worked with is just over 7 carats, the largest diamond ever brought into the store and worked with is a 24 carat D color flawless stone. We also sell high end watches. Sorry for the infomercial.

I don't consider my computers great but I try to keep them upgraded and I've done some stealth modding. I made a case for a server and my main rig in a plywood trunk. I dable in watercooling, and really simple yet difficult technical things I like.

I'm still a student but also have my own web development & design company on the side :) Helps pay for the... hobbies :D (what, you thought I had bills to pay? :D)

Daggah said:
Really? What's your AFSC and rank? I'm an A1C 3C0 stationed at Aviano AB.

SrA 2E2 @ Tinker AFB. Kinda wishing I had gone 3c0 or 3c2 because you guys get all the cool jobs. I'm stuck here at Tinker. Although, I can goto any base that has a Computer really.

Well considering the direction of this thread, I'll post.
I work for a school district, love the job. I work mainly in the elementary buildings and the kids are a blast!

I have two systems at work
A desktop
  • Athlon XP 1800+
  • 512MB DDR
  • ECS K7S5A
  • 40GB Maxtor
  • Liteon DVD/CDRW
  • Ati Mach 64
  • 3.5 floppy
  • 17" CRT
  • Dual Boot WinXP / Mandrake 10 (Use XP the most)

And a Tablet PC
  • hp compaq tc1100
  • Pentium m 1.1Ghz
  • 512 MB
  • 40 GB
  • WinXP Tablet PC edition

You Can see below for my home system except I bumped the RAM up to 512MB

Operations Manager / (official title = Vice President)
small company so it doesn't mean much.

But, I do everything: Sales mostly, Supervisor, Network/PC maintenance, Website design/maintenance, Production Engineer (design jigs), etc.... etc.... etc...

Salary + bonuses pays pretty good ( + $50k/year)

Rig ♂ (1) is my home/play PC (games, p0rn, etc)
Rig ♀ (2) is my wife's, she's an RN, but currently in school for a Master's program in Nursing
Rig 3: my office PC is: 3.06Ghz HT/533 Dell, with GF4mx420, 512 DDR333, 845PE, etc....

bigbadgreen said:
I'm a jeweler, well wax carver...

That's pretty cool, I have two uncles who are jewlers. One owns a store now (basically trades jewelry) and the other does mostly numismatic work but makes some a few custom pieces now and then.

Do you use the wax models you carve to make molds so you can mass produce the rings? I've seen some wax rings before but no experiance with them.

bigbadgreen said:
I'm a jeweler, well wax carver...

That's pretty cool, I have two uncles who are jewlers. One owns a store now (basically trades jewelry) and the other does mostly numismatic work but makes some a few custom pieces now and then.

Do you use the wax models you carve to make molds so you can mass produce the piece? I've seen some wax rings before but no experiance with was jewelry.

I'm a business owner: t-shirts and graphic design. I use my custom rigs in my business, but it's still a hobby.

copy editor and page designer at a pretty good newspaper about 70 miles west of DC, in martinsburg, wv. 13 an hour, plus bennies.

play acoustic guitar for weddings and parties, 150-250 1 hour 350 for 2 hours :)

i work at an aaron bros art and framing.

7.50 an hour. not bad. last three nights i did homework during work. great stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back