To RAID or not to RAID?

Axsuul

Limp Gawd
I was wondering what is a better storage system hdd setup?

3x 1TB in RAID1

OR

2x 1TB with 1TB backing up the most important files

Gonna be using Western Digital 1TB Green Caviars. Thanks!

What exactly do you want out of this storage setup?

But so far, 3 drives in RAID 1 does not sound like an efficient storage method at all.

Why don't you go RAID 5? 2TB of storage and parity to protect against failure of any one of them.

I want redundancy so that I can restore all my data if one of the drives fail. I am planning on storing movies, music, application data..

Hmm, yes, RAID5 might be what I am looking for, thanks

Also, say I have 3 drives in RAID5 and I want to add another drive to it, does all the data get wiped clean in order to add another drive to the array?

If you want to protect your data, use a backup first. If you want additional protection and also uptime (keeping access uninterrupted during a HDD failure) then RAID1 is a good option.

But if the 2 or 3 drives are all you have, why not just forget about RAID and use one as backup and the other as primary storage? That's alot more safe than just a RAID1, especially on Windows with Silicon Image/Promise/JMicron/AMD/nVidia/ULi drivers, which suck. Intel onboard RAID is quite decent, though. But it is also vulnerable to array splits and other nasty things on trivial errors on the HDD part. For RAID you might need TLER/CCTL capable disks, unless you use a non-Windows OS.

Without RAID, all those issues are gone. And no additional cost or complex setup as well. The only thing that remains is a good backup strategy, like automated incremental backups. Play with them, experiment, test a failure, and be assured your data is stored securely.

Hmm good point, yea maybe RAID isn't worth the trouble.

This brings me to another question, is it possible to do this with a 1TB and 2TB drive?

0.5TB partition
2.5TB partition

Thanks

Hmm good point, yea maybe RAID isn't worth the trouble.

This brings me to another question, is it possible to do this with a 1TB and 2TB drive?

0.5TB partition
2.5TB partition

Thanks

Not without RAID.. ;)

Back