To Optane or not to Optane ?

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
It's a small investment, so it probably makes sense to just do it, but....

Has anyone installed a 32G Optane in a system with an already fast SSD, like the Samsung 950 Pro?

Did you notice any difference?

Any downside?

I've got an Asus Z270 Tuff board with a 7700K and 32G of RAM. It boots and runs most apps (except stream games) from a Pro 950 1T SSD.

It's a small investment, so it probably makes sense to just do it, but....

Has anyone installed a 32G Optane in a system with an already fast SSD, like the Samsung 950 Pro?

Did you notice any difference?

Any downside?

I've got an Asus Z270 Tuff board with a 7700K and 32G of RAM. It boots and runs most apps (except stream games) from a Pro 950 1T SSD.

Probably not a great idea to use NVMe PCIe with a PCIe cache memory device, you are probably creating a bit more overhead or at least bottleneck with the DMI 3 at times.

It is more perfect for SATA and HDD.
Kinda frustrating it is also only associated as a memory cache with the boot drive, would be nice to put games on a large separate SATA SSD and with the Optane linked to it.
Maybe that will come down in future but not now.

Cheers

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm passing. Best thing that can go into that slot is a 960 pro when they get cheaper.

Also interested in this technology. Have always just assumed that I'll eventually go with something like an 850, plus a large hdd.

But is there any sense in just throwing an Optane in with a "slower" ssd like an 850?

With another SSD, I doubt you'll notice. Not worth it IMO. Team it up with a big HDD and be done with it.

Back