TO ALL GF6800 AGP owners

I just ran "Step into liquid" and Terminator clip at 1920 x 1200 res and then at 1280 x 1024. I'm averaging around 40% CPU Utilization rez makes no difference. My Machine is a Athlon 64 3000+, 1gb Ram, and radeon 9800 Pro. My cpu utilization was all over the place sometimes at 35% sometimes as high as 65% but averaged out at around 40%.

Mac

cmacclel said:
I just ran "Step into liquid" and Terminator clip at 1920 x 1200 res and then at 1280 x 1024. I'm averaging around 40% CPU Utilization rez makes no difference. My Machine is a Athlon 64 3000+, 1gb Ram, and radeon 9800 Pro. My cpu utilization was all over the place sometimes at 35% sometimes as high as 65% but averaged out at around 40%.

Mac

The athlon 64 cpus are faster so your cpu should be able to handle both clips. However, your low cpu usage probably shows that your video card is doing something for the decode. I have an athlon xp 3000+ (the 32 bit cpu) and 6800 GT, i tell you, the cpu is at 100% and frames are dropped. Lets just say my 3000+ is 25% slower than your athlon 64 3000+ cpu, that should still mean my cpu usage should only be at 70-80% if my video card had as much acceleration as your video card. Currently, that is not the case, its at 100% cpu usage, means the video card is doing little to no decode acceleration.

doodman said:
The athlon 64 cpus are faster so your cpu should be able to handle both clips. However, your low cpu usage probably shows that your video card is doing something for the decode. I have an athlon xp 3000+ (the 32 bit cpu) and 6800 GT, i tell you, the cpu is at 100% and frames a dropped. Lets just say my 3000+ is 25% slower than your athlon 64 3000+ cpu, that should still mean my cpu usage should only be at 70-80% if my video card had as much acceleration as your video card. Currently, that is not the case, its at 100% cpu usage, means the video card is doing little to no decode acceleration.
Yeah, but...more to the point.

I'm running an AthlonXP at 2.4 ghz with a GeForce FX 5700 and only get 80% CPU usage on the "Step Into Liquid" clip.

Does that mean that the 6800s actually make a system WORSE at decoding compared to the FX cards?

dderidex said:
Yeah, but...more to the point.

I'm running an AthlonXP at 2.4 ghz with a GeForce FX 5700 and only get 80% CPU usage on the "Step Into Liquid" clip.

Does that mean that the 6800s actually make a system WORSE at decoding compared to the FX cards?

It sure looks that way. I've read some numbers around other forums that show people with video cards other than the 6800 series have much better cpu usage rates. Either everything else is decoding at least some stuff and the 6800 none, or the 6800 is making it worse.

Hmmm...I seemed to have missed this thread the first go around.

I am not having any apparent slowdowns with my 6800 and opterons. I may play that movie later and see what I get, maybe compare it to my 5900 ultra.

This really isn't a huge issue for me. I play movies all of the time and I haven't noticed anything yet. If it is putting my 246 at 100% usage, that will piss me off. However, I am thinking that is not the case else I would have noticed before now.

I am not really sure if lawsuits is the way to go. Really, I can't wait until you stub your toe and break your neck over some old guy's wheelchair and he sues you for $3 million for putting a scratch on it from the bones sticking out of your back.

LOL

I just tried playing both Step into Liquid and T2 1080 movies on my Sempron 2200+ @ 1.8GHz (400MHz FSB, 1GB PC3200, 6800 OC w/66.93 drivers) and both are 100% with many skipped frames. I thought it would have done better.

OK teh BFG tech corparate adress is onlt 40 minutes away from my house... IF something doesnt happen soon to fix this Im gonna go over there and request some kind of compensation.

SaViOr- said:
What is it with you people and lawsuits? :rolleyes: You think a lawsuit will fix everything for godsakes...you know a law suit wont get you your desired feature for a card, they'd have to remanufacture them and everything, if you want that so bad just go get an ati card or something, and i know you didnt go and buy the card just because of that feature, so have fun.

That's the only way to speak to corporations. Now on the individual basis, I do not believe in suing and such.

No, lawsuit will not fix the chip, nor it will benefit anybody in this case.

But there is one thing I am certain of: a successful lawsuit against nVidia will give it some incentive to conduct business correctly in the future. Just because the decoder feature is unimportant does not mean nVidia should be left off the hook. This law says that nVidia has to deliever what it advertises.

Please, respect the law. Laws are made to be broken, I know. But they should be broken only under special circumstances. I do not see any miligating reasons in this particular situation. Thus, no exception should be made.

The bottom line: nVidia should either fix the problem, or make compensations. If you disagree with this, you are disagreeing with the law.

I was very disappointed when I found out about this problem as my 6800GT was to server as the video card for my HTPC (home theater PC). Nothing like missing frames and studdering while watching live HDTV. Here is a screenshot of Windows Media Player playing and HDTV clip. I would feel better if NV actually admitted they mislead and offered either a working card (as advertised) or my money back.

Step_Sample_HDTV.JPG

[Camper]AWPerator said:
No, lawsuit will not fix the chip, nor it will benefit anybody in this case.
A lawsuit won't fix the chip, but could teach companies not to false advertise products. I, myself, wouldn't have bought it knowing the decoder was not working. I would benefit me personally knowing NV got what they desearved.

LoneWolf said:
As I said, my machine (specs in sig) is getting 90% CPU usage running the 1080 "Step Into Liquid" using Forceware 66.81 drivers; as you can see, my system is no slouch. The guts of the problem is simple, though some people have a misunderstanding of its nature. From all that I've read, nVidia's Video Processor on the 6800 has problems with the decode of HD .WMV files, which use the Windows Media 9 codec.

Why would I have the same CPU usage (20-30%) using BOTH my 9600pro, AND my 6800GT? Does the 9600pro not have any acceleration? That would be the only explanation, assuming that my 6800GT *really* has a bad VPU.

I'm not doubting there might be a problem with 6800's, its just that I am wondering what the target CPU usage is that you are seeking. I wouldnt expect a 1080p video to decode and play using less than 25% even WITH acceleration.

Edit: Media Player Classic uses about 10% less CPU in the Step into Liquid video than my WMP did. The SIL video in WMP is about 49%, and MPC is about 39%.

So, I am just wondering. It has been verified for certain, that the video processing functionalities do not work?

Why has no one ever noticed this problem, before the appearance of this thread??

Also, I have a question-
If say, I bought my card at CompUSA, and I have 14 days to return it. Now, if I return it saying that its broken, then will not have to pay the "restocking fee" Can I use that "its video processing functionalities are messed up?" as a valid reason? Would they believe me?

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
If say, I bought my card at CompUSA, and I have 14 days to return it. Now, if I return it saying that its broken, then will not have to pay the "restocking fee" Can I use that "its video processing functionalities are messed up?" as a valid reason? Would they believe me?
I'd contact nVidia's customer support via email and ask them about the video processor on the 6800 - specifically, if it works for both MPEG and WMV, as advertised.

If they respond truthfully, you should have something you can use when returning the card.

I'm sure a 'manufacturer defect' will still get you a return without restocking fee.

So I guess I shouldnt buy my 6800 for chirstmas or what?

LOL as I start looking at ATI......

nullvector said:
Why would I have the same CPU usage (20-30%) using BOTH my 9600pro, AND my 6800GT? Does the 9600pro not have any acceleration? That would be the only explanation, assuming that my 6800GT *really* has a bad VPU.

I'm not doubting there might be a problem with 6800's, its just that I am wondering what the target CPU usage is that you are seeking. I wouldnt expect a 1080p video to decode and play using less than 25% even WITH acceleration.

Edit: Media Player Classic uses about 10% less CPU in the Step into Liquid video than my WMP did. The SIL video in WMP is about 49%, and MPC is about 39%.

Turn off Hyperthreading for your P4 in the BIOS, try playing the clip again. When performing this test, remember that the P4's Hyperthreading compensates, so you get less CPU usage. If you disable it, CPU usage should go up considerably.

LoneWolf said:
Turn off Hyperthreading for your P4 in the BIOS, try playing the clip again. When performing this test, remember that the P4's Hyperthreading compensates, so you get less CPU usage. If you disable it, CPU usage should go up considerably.

I turned off HyperThreading and I still get 50% CPU usage on the SiL video at 1920x1200

DropTech said:
I turned off HyperThreading and I still get 50% CPU usage on the SiL video at 1920x1200

Same here. Didn't affect it that much. Still peaking at about 45% usage.

When did you guys with low cpu usage get your video card? Is it possible they made a new revision that fixed the problems? If so, us early adopters got screwed over.

DropTech said:

Did you download the 1080i version? Just curious, because CPU usage is far lower with the 720p version of the video clip.

P.S. You're running an AGP card not PCIe, correct?

Just downloaded the newest off Guru3D and the same clip still runs in the mid80's......... I hope NV can fix this mess.

doodman said:
When did you guys with low cpu usage get your video card? Is it possible they made a new revision that fixed the problems? If so, us early adopters got screwed over.
I preordered mine at best buy and it shipped when 6800GTs were first becoming available. I got between 45 and 55% on my BFG 6800GT OC on the 1080 videos.

CPU utilization is combination of driver version and CPU speed.

I bought 2 6800GT's not long after they came out.

One is on an opteron150/2G/iwill dk8x box which I can't test at the moment (it's portupgrading freebsd 5.3-release).

The other one is on the box Im' typing on ... 2300mhz athlon xp-m.

The t2 video played ok, but the step into the liquid video skipped occasionally. The wm10 statistics said real framerate was 24, and my playback was like 21.5/s or something.

Nvidia needs to fix this. This sucks!

Anyone have an ATI x700/x800/x800-pe card? What cpu usage do you get? I was going to throw the 6800gt in this ahtlonxp into a box im going to use for htpc, but not if it can't decode video.

Rob

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I got BFG 6800 GT a few days ago and when I play the T2 1080p video I get 60% CPU utilization. This is normal for HD .WMV right? can someone verify this? I am running Forceware 66.93 and my rig specs are in my sig. There wasn't any skipped frames.

t2_process.jpg

I got 59-71% usage mostly hovering around 64-65 with T2 video.

Try the step into the liquid video that someone posted a link to earlier.

This is what people are complaining about.

Rob

well I played "step into the liquid" video, now I know what you guys are talking about. But I don't really care because all I care about is FPS on the games I play =) and btw guys... how many of you are actually going to buy the HD WMV DVD to watch on your computer?

OMG I Love HD videos. You can see individual hair strands on people. The details are awesome. Not to mention all broadcasts will become digital soon. I'm a big fan of good quality video and sound, thats why I like the HDTV. Also why I use soundstorm, dolby digital output on everything.

scout007 said:
well I played "step into the liquid" video, now I know what you guys are talking about. But I don't really care because all I care about is FPS on the games I play =) and btw guys... how many of you are actually going to buy the HD WMV DVD to watch on your computer?
I would. The quality is just amazing. Also it kinda bugs me that my mid-high-end system can't play it without dying...:(. Nvidia needs to do something about this instead of giving us all the silent treatment. :mad:

HT makes a BIG difference. Without it, the video wouldn't even play smoothly. Here is a side by side comparison I pieced together.
Using 66.93 drivers.

7777.bmp

What this shows is that even if nVidia claims that their problems with decoding WMV in hardware was fixed on the GeForce 6600GT GPU, that the Forceware drivers are not enabling the onboard Video Processor of the card, no matter which GeForce 6 class card you own. I had been thinking of bringing back my GF 6800 card for a 6600GT, but there's no point in it.

I guess none of us GeForce 6 owners are going to get WMV decoding for Christmas this year...and who knows when if ever, nVidia will enable it.

scout007 said:

HD WMV has been approved as the format for the upcoming HD DVD standard, having been approved by the DVD consortium. When these HD DVD discs arrive on the market, they will in time become the de facto standard. This will probably produce a ripple effect, moving a lot of online video to WMV.

This may not seem like a big issue at this immediate moment, but that will change. Not only that, but when someone is promised a feature, they expect the promise to be upheld. A company is only as good as the promises it keeps. And not all of us are pure gamers; some of us have a multirole power-desktop in mind. For those people, nVidia's promise of the Video Processor that provided both hardware decoding AND encoding was a big lure in selling the GeForce 6 line of cards. Unfortunately, this feature is not enabled on ANY current Geforce 6 (or at least Geforce 6 AGP; I can't say for the PCIe models) class card. The cards have been out for some time now, and nVidia has kept fairly mum about the problem, providing only ambiguous answers about whether it works or not, and whether a future driver will enable the features. We have no concrete date on such a driver. It's kind of like buying a car because it had a new engine technology, only to find that two of the eight cylinders in the engine are disabled, but the manufacturer promises to fix them sometime in the future. Wouldn't you hold such a car company responsible for its promises, or would you write it off?

Robstar said:
I bought 2 6800GT's not long after they came out.

One is on an opteron150/2G/iwill dk8x box which I can't test at the moment (it's portupgrading freebsd 5.3-release).

The other one is on the box Im' typing on ... 2300mhz athlon xp-m.

The t2 video played ok, but the step into the liquid video skipped occasionally. The wm10 statistics said real framerate was 24, and my playback was like 21.5/s or something.

Nvidia needs to fix this. This sucks!

Anyone have an ATI x700/x800/x800-pe card? What cpu usage do you get? I was going to throw the 6800gt in this ahtlonxp into a box im going to use for htpc, but not if it can't decode video.

Rob

My xp 64 3000+ with radeon 9800 pro ia around 40-45% in Step into liquid...

LoneWolf said:
HD WMV has been approved as the format for the upcoming HD DVD standard, having been approved by the DVD consortium. When these HD DVD discs arrive on the market, they will in time become the de facto standard. This will probably produce a ripple effect, moving a lot of online video to WMV.

This may not seem like a big issue at this immediate moment, but that will change. Not only that, but when someone is promised a feature, they expect the promise to be upheld. A company is only as good as the promises it keeps. And not all of us are pure gamers; some of us have a multirole power-desktop in mind. For those people, nVidia's promise of the Video Processor that provided both hardware decoding AND encoding was a big lure in selling the GeForce 6 line of cards. Unfortunately, this feature is not enabled on ANY current Geforce 6 (or at least Geforce 6 AGP; I can't say for the PCIe models) class card. The cards have been out for some time now, and nVidia has kept fairly mum about the problem, providing only ambiguous answers about whether it works or not, and whether a future driver will enable the features. We have no concrete date on such a driver. It's kind of like buying a car because it had a new engine technology, only to find that two of the eight cylinders in the engine are disabled, but the manufacturer promises to fix them sometime in the future. Wouldn't you hold such a car company responsible for its promises, or would you write it off?

I guess you have a point there. I wonder what is taking nvidia so long to enable the video processor on the 6600 series? I guess they just need to get off their butts and get us something that works.

The bigger question is, if the video processor did work correctly, how much of an effect would it have actually had? When experiments are done with ATI cards which also claim to have a video processor, the CPU is utilized like 5% less than it is in a 6800 machine. Oh boy, so you are telling me that I am missing out on a WHOLE 5% off load to the CPU ? Well I really could care less. If this video processor was supposed to do 50% of the work and this had happened, I might actually care.

Staples said:
The bigger question is, if the video processor did work correctly, how much of an effect would it have actually had? When experiments are done with ATI cards which also claim to have a video processor, the CPU is utilized like 5% less than it is in a 6800 machine. Oh boy, so you are telling me that I am missing out on a WHOLE 5% off load to the CPU ? Well I really could care less. If this video processor was supposed to do 50% of the work and this had happened, I might actually care.

well the issue isn't really CPU utilization, but rather if the WMV lags or not.

Staples said:

5% LESS Huh are you even reading the same thread??? I havent installed me 6800GT as of yet but my Radeon 9800 and AMD 64 3000+ averages out at 40% Cpu utilization on the Step into Liquid clip. People with faster processors than me with the 6800 series cards are getting 100% and are skipping frames!!

Mac

To all those talking about legal action, why don't you do the logical thing first and attempt to return it. Then if nothing happens, think about legal action.

Honestly the speed with which you guys snap to the lawyers is amazing. Yes if you can't get a satisfactory result through other channels go to the lawyers. But really, try the other channels first. It's easier for you, and it's easier for Nvidia.

cmacclel said:
5% LESS Huh are you even reading the same thread??? I havent installed me 6800GT as of yet but my Radeon 9800 and AMD 64 3000+ averages out at 40% Cpu utilization on the Step into Liquid clip. People with faster processors than me with the 6800 series cards are getting 100% and are skipping frames!!

Mac
My system is in my sig. It's skipping frames like there's no tomorrow. I was one of the "I don't care blah blah" people for a little while. I figured oh well I'll still be able to play it, just that my cpu will have to handle it. But when I saw that it impacts in my computer's ability to even play it at all...that's just unacceptable.

I ran both Step Into Liquid (1080p) and T2 (from MS site 1080p) on my system with eVGA 6800GT (clocked to 410c/1.1m) and A64 3500+ (220x11) and 1 GB Mushkin L2 V2 PC3200 ram and both ram smoothly, CPU Utilization was ~55% average on both. Windows Media 10 and drivers are 66.93. My 6800GT was recently replaced by eVGA due to the old one dying so if the theory of newer cards not having this issue is correct I might have lucked out. I might also add that I ran both videos off my 120GB WD drive that's installed in a USB2.0 enclosure.

Back