TO ALL GF6800 AGP owners

What do you mean processor power to take advantage of a 6800. I have a 2500+ and that is enough to take advantage of the power. The GPU is seperate from the CPU ....

And yes I do need, and was promised a chip to take the load of the cpu when decoding WMV9 format videos. Your questions goes against everything I have just written. The on-chip processing was there to off load stress from the CPU. So you wouldn't need a 3.4 pentium extreme to decode DMV9 formats.

So what you are saying is that the broken VPU on the 6800AGP will prevent you from watching movie files?

Is your 2500+ not enough cpu horsepower to just crank it out anyway?

What I am really asking is whether all the complaining is a case of classic "they promised it so I want it" syndrome, or is it really going to hurt day-to-day preformance in applications?

It seems like this problem is more akin to gear two not working in your car when you live in San Diego (when you'll never need it for snow). I know in Mississagua this might not be a good example, but try to imagine it :)

Um its already been said and proven the next driver update from Nvidia address this NON-issue. Because with tests already done the latest driver updates allows the Cpu utilization in Video decoding to drop as low as 4%. Which is excellent.

There is no controversy here. Please move on.

bonkrowave said:
Please read my post on that is linked on the last page to understand the situation

no doubt

people, if youre not going to bother to read stuff to understand the situation, do us all a favor and dont post
if you dont care, dont post

save us all some time, and minimize the flames

Reuben Rose .... this thread is about the problem in 6800 nvidia products. If you dont have anything to add .. you need to move along to another thread. What tests are these ... If you are refering to the tests on the enquirer ... thoose were made with help from nvidia. They were to be released 2 days ago and were not released until yesterday because nvidia wanted to look over them. These are not independant tests.

Also if I am not mistaken these tests were shown to be done on PCIe cards. Which is not an issue which was stated earlier in the thread as this problem only effects agp cards.

the article you linked said:
Besides that, the GeForce 6600 became the first of NVIDIA’s products to have native support of the PCI Express bus. Until now, all PCI Express compatibles from NVIDIA were connected to this bus via a special bridge chip.

Even if the 6800s are AGP which it seems to indicate otherwise, how can you compare PCIe and AGP ???

Schadenfroh said:
companies should not be allowed to falsely advertise product features...............

i believe there is a law against itQUOTE]

you are very correct. it is the advertising fraud law, i will look it up.

if you have deep enough pockets for a super strong lawfirm and enough people are p*ssed, you may be able to pull off a class action suit getting this fixed. but legal fees will be in the 100's of 1,000's.

and reuben sandwich...
this is a hardware problem. that "fix" is software. it's sort of like this: my old 386 won't recognize its hdd cuz a power surge killed the hdd. so the fix is to reinstall windows 3.1 and it will suddenly start working again.

:D i don't think so, my friend. if it were that easy then it would already have been done.

I dont think any sort of legal action is required.

The steps Nvidia needs to take if these cards are not fixable by a driver is full refunds or RMA's for a working product. I would also like to clarify that RMA's are usually shipped back at your expence then Nvidia ships a working one back through snail mail. I beleive that Nvidia should pay for shipping in this case and make sure cards are recieved in a timely manner. It would be nice for a replacement to be shipped to you (doesn;t have to be a 6800) to use in the meantime. As I have phoned BFG tech about this problem .. they said it is a Nvidia problem which makes me think they will not RMA it ... it will need to be sent to Nvidia. Also keep in mind the large volumes of cards we are talking about.

Also the argument that WMV9 was not promised with the card is invalid. It was promise and even it is was not. Why then did Nvidia send BFG tech a memo regarding the on-chip processing not working just this week. If it is not a feature promised then why is Nvidia sending bulletins about it ?

7 pages filled with too many posts from people that don't have a freaking clue...
Nvidia's silence on this subject is what really pisses me off. Also, the relative silence of the sites that have reviewed any 6800. It took them 4 months(5?) to figure this out? I knew something was amiss when even DVD playback hogged system resources back when i got my 6800 GT in August. There wasn't much i could do since i had already voided my card's warranty by putting a block on it so there was no way to RMA it. I want these sites, this one included, to put the screws to Nvidia until they get an official response. I mean an official response, not something from the enquirer. For the record, my Step Into Liquid fps: 50-75 cpu usage. No dropped frames, but then my 3200+ winchester is clocked at 2.45Ghz and it has to suck for people with even mid range cpu's. At least dix/xvid has gotten better. It use to hover around 80 percent on my old 3200+ newcastle which is also unacceptable. We got served and it doesn't look like we can do anything about it.

KennyB i can confirm it sucks on mid ranger cpus. My 2500+ has 80 % usage base with spikes into the 90s. It also drops frames and stutters. This stuttering issue has me concerned as well. Anyone noticed this doesn't only happen in WMV9. It happens in Farcry as well and doom3. I would put this down to my CPU but the fact is with my 9600 pro the stuttering issue was not present ?

Also the RMA thing has me worried as I sold my 9600 pro on ebay ... and I didn't have the box for it so I shipped in in the 6800 GT box :(

bonkrowave said:
KennyB i can confirm it sucks on mid ranger cpus. My 2500+ has 80 % usage base with spikes into the 90s. It also drops frames and stutters. This stuttering issue has me concerned as well. Anyone noticed this doesn't only happen in WMV9. It happens in Farcry as well and doom3. I would put this down to my CPU but the fact is with my 9600 pro the stuttering issue was not present ?

Also the RMA thing has me worried as I sold my 9600 pro on ebay ... and I didn't have the box for it so I shipped in in the 6800 GT box :(

I know you've probably been told this, but that that stuttering problem in games doesn't sound like a card problem... almost a BIOS (card or mobo) and or PSU issue? Tried both?

I think that it has not been proven either way if it is hardware or software -- the wording from companies has been careful and able to be taken two ways. As many have said, we will just have to wait.

i do belive nvidia will deal with this but i do think it will involve that software as a fix but you cant say nvidia makes horrible cards i am by far not a fan boy. I am going to buy A X800xt to but i belive nvidia will make this a download fix so lets just keep our goal and relax and please dont be rude about my english.

and is this with older cpus because i have a amd ahtlon 64 3500 i dont think thats old but just making sure

Well I have a 500w PSU so I think that is not the case. I have updated drivers and updated bios for my mobo. I would be really disapointed if it is my motherboard as I have an MSI nvidia nforce board. If there are compatability problem between the nforce board (nvidia made the chipset for) and a nvidia card this will be the last time I buy a nvidia card \ nvidia product in general.

I dont thnk an A64 3500 is an old cpu ... but just be aware your CPU usage in WMV9 will be relative to your processor speed. IE faster processors equal less CPU usage.

Well this was on the front page, http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19314 I don 't know if that puts to rest some of these rumors, but if it is completly off base I'm sure I'll get flamed. And besides when has nvidia let us down before Other than the 5800 :D, they have fixed what they messed up. Anyways I guess call me a fan boy, but I do believe that they are going to fix this issue. I know that it sucks that it isn't working now, but sometimes stuff gets messed up.

<cheers>

Many of you are still not understanding the problem. Go read my earlier post.
Look guys, before we have a huge misunderstanding here, we need to clarify what the problem is.

Fact: Nvidia advertised the Geforce 6800 AGP series of cards as having WMV9 decode acceleration from the beginning.
Fact: Nvidia has replied to TheInq that WMV9 decode acceleration will be implemented in a future driver release, FOR THE 6600 SERIES.
Fact: When I play "Step Into Liquid" WMV9-HD video on my Athlon XP 3000+ with a BFG 6800 GT AGP card running drivers 65.76 (same for 61.77 and 66.81), my CPU usage is at 100% with frames dropped everywhere.

The complaint by the people that know what they're talking about:
Nvidia advertised WMV9 decode acceleration for the 6800 AGP series of cards (the PCI-E might be fixed?), almost nobody has been able to get the WMV9 decode acceleration with any current driver versions out there. Nvidia confirmed that the 6600 series of cards contain the acceleration which will be enabled in future driver releases. HOWEVER, their statement regarding the 6600 having it implied that the 6800 does not have it. And I quote from TheInq:
Quote:
The GeForce 6600 models have the same 1st generation programmable video technology support as the GeForce 6800 models. However, the GeForce 6600 models also include hardware acceleration for high-definition Windows Media Video (WMV) decode.

So all of us 6800 AGP owners want is the advertised WMV decode acceleration, but Nvidia seems to be indicating that it will not have this.

I would just like everyone to know about another BS promise from Nvidia

This is info on the Decoder for the 6800 GT

From Nvidia Website said:
Features

Enables DVD viewing with Microsoft® Windows Media® Player or Microsoft Windows® Media Center Edition*
High quality MPEG-2 decoder supports any third party software application based upon Microsoft DirectShow®
Dolby® Digital** surround sound decoding
Minimizes CPU utilization by offloading the MPEG-2 decoding onto the graphics processor
Enables advanced de-interlacing
Decodes high-definition MPEG-2 streams for ATSC tuners
Supports Windows Mobile-based Portable Media Centers allowing end users to transcode MPEG-2 content into Windows Media Video 9
S/PDIF pass through for external decoding of Dolby Digital and DTS (compatible hardware required)

Well there is a little note at the bottom of tha page that says ....
Fromt Nvidia Website said:
** Downmixes Dolby Digital 5.1 audio into stereo playback
So why promise surrond sound decoding then say it is only stereo ???

You can get around this tho by just running a s/pdif from your soundcard ... that is if you have a 5.1 capable soundcard, and were not planning on using this decoder instead.

Im curious if this note was added afterwards ... much like the note about future driver fixing on-chip video processing..... which they did add after release.

You guys are all whiney little babies, not [H]ard at all.

I have a Nvidia Geforce 6800GT card and the video functions DO WORK, I get have a CPU load of about 15% when I'm playing a game, so actually TRY playing a DVD, go to task manager then see what the CPU utilization is. Oh and my CPU is only a AMD XP3200.

sculelos said:
You guys are all whiney little babies, not [H]ard at all.

I have a Nvidia Geforce 6800GT card and the video functions DO WORK, I get have a CPU load of about 15% when I'm playing a game, so actually TRY playing a DVD, go to task manager then see what the CPU utilization is. Oh and my CPU is only a AMD XP3200.

READ THE POSTS DANG!
WE're not talking about DVDs, we're talking about Windows Media Video (WMV), what part of that do you not understand.
Get yourself this WMV video and try for yourself:
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...0-bfdf-b472fa2a2464/Step_into_Liquid_1080.exe
Your CPU usage goes up to nearly 100% if you do not have HyperThreading. This is the stuff that Nvidia is SUPPOSED to accelerate so that your CPU usage don't go sky high.

/legalspeak
that is conclusive and irrefutable proof of advertising fraud. It puts nvidia's wrongdoing beyond a shadow of a doubt and proves our case.

/normalspeak
that is proof of advertizing fraud that is pretty much impossible to prove incorrect. there is no way in #@!! that nvidia would win a jury trial on this, they can't prove us wrong.

all we need is about 60 other people who agree and we can sue the $#!* out of them!

Edit: no, we do not need $$$, except for the retainer fee for the law firm, which will probably be around $1000. the way it works is that they will take a cut of the settlement $$$ if we win, or they will get nothing if we lose (which is impossible).

:mad: och, wee laddie buck, if ye be callin' me ignorant, ye'd best reconsider... lest i blow the plasma coolent on ye next time ye're in engineering!!

:D saareee i couldn't resist my scotty voice... it puts humor in lousy situations.

but don't call me ignorant unless you got asbestos underwear on.

UAEstar said:
GF 6800 onboard video processor functionality
Anyway... this is what she said: The video processing functions will never work on the 6800, this is due to a hardware failure within the processing unit. The later cards will work fine, e.g. 6600 series, 6200 series and soon to come 6700 series.

I asked if an updated driver would enable the video processing and she explained that the fault is hardware so even a driver update would not fix the problem.
Why did you ask if an updated driver would enable it after she told you it was a hardware failure? Is something wrong with your brain? :confused:

teckgood said:
Why did you ask if an updated driver would enable it after she told you it was a hardware failure? Is something wrong with your brain? :confused:

:eek: hoo boy i'm a-gitt'n my asbestos undiepants afore i get a-blasted at too!

i just emailed bfgtech this is what i got back

RMAing a card is not going to fix your problem. The problem is not hardware
its software related. Nvidia has released a statement as of recent, on the
issue which i will put below.

"The GeForce 6800 models featured the 1st generation of our programmable
video technology which includes support for high-definition MPEG2 video
decode and standard definition MPEG2 encode, as well as advanced post
processing features such as motion adaptive deinterlacing, and inverse 3:2
pulldown.

The GeForce 6600 models have the same 1st generation programmable video
technology support as the GeForce 6800 models. However, the GeForce 6600
models also include hardware acceleration for high-definition Windows Media
Video (WMV) decode.

In order to utilize the programmable decode and advanced post processing
features of the GeForce 6800 and 6600, end users need to download an updated
ForceWare driver as well as the NVIDIA DVD decoder.

Both the ForceWare driver and NVIDIA's DVD decoder will be available for
download from NVIDIA.com by the end of November. For Windows Media Video
decode on the GeForce 6600 models, end users will also need to download an
update to Windows Media Player from Microsoft.

NVIDIA is also working with application vendors to take advantage of the
programmable encode features of the GeForce 6800 and 6600. This feature just
like programmable pixel shaders when they were first introduced, requires
additional collaboration with application vendors. The first application
that NVIDIA is targeting to support it's GPU encode capabilities is Windows
Media Center Edition 2005."

Basically the problem is that there is no software currently, that takes
advantage of the video decoder.

Please reply to the last message from us so we are able to see what was
accomplished with the previous correspondence.

Thanks Again!
Ed S.
BFG E-Mail Support

it still constitutes advertising fraud because nvidia told you that they would have that specific feature in that specific product and they did not.

Actually, you're wrong there. The application for it is not there, but the feature is.

och, for the love o'...

i give up. go ahead an' bash yeselves and ye bonny wee brains up like 2 drunken klingons in a bar for all i care... this thread jus' got unsubscribed from me list so i don' have to go after me scotch more than i need to.

DropTech said:
This doesn't have anything to do with DVD's (I originally thought the same) but seeing as the MPEG1/2 performance of the 6x00 series is phenominal, it's only MPEG4 and HDWMV performance we're gearing twoards here. DVD's don't put much strain on anything, lol, so it won't "Shorten the life" of the your overclocked CPU or GPU.

Like was said earlier, whether nVidia is wording their statement very carefully or it will take simply a driver revision to enable it on the 6x00 cards, has yet to be deteremined, and only time will tell.

Exactly why it really doesn't effect me. Yeah, it would be cool if it worked but I doubt I'll be watching HDWMV in the near future. Again, I understand that when you by a $400+ video card you want everything to work but I didn't even know about HDWMV when I bought my card...it wasn't even factored into my descion making process. Thanks for clearing that up though DropTech, I was pretty sure that DvDs wouldn't hurt my system. :D

I could be wrong about this, but don't you also need a monitor that supports HD to take advantage of this type of media. I'm using TV logic here so I could be wrong.

SuX0rz said:
Again, I understand that when you by a $400+ video card you want everything to work but I didn't even know about HDWMV when I bought my card...it wasn't even factored into my descion making process.

Shoot man, I said the same thing lol.

You don't need a tv, and most of us would watch it on our systems anyway. When i bought my card i only knew about HD decoding not WMV HD decoding, but still that's besides the point. Yeah, my system can play WMV HD without dropping frames but it sucks for people who don't have a highend system. Since the feature was advertised and we've waited 4(?) months for it to appear only to always be told to "wait till next month", we're fed up. Nvidia is giving us the same "wait till next month" BS it has spoon fed to every review site.

speaking of all of your bah's on the dropped frames on step into liquid...

i ran it on my sys and heres what i had for stats...

1307 dropped frames.
Average FPS: 2.4

my sys:

Amd XP 2000+
GeForce 5600 Ultra
1 GB PC2700 RAM

yes..i know i dont have a 6x series...but i wanted to just add that earlier cards suck at this hi def...

But yesh...i agree with what ya'll say...if Nv promises something...they should live up to it.and NOT try and make us buy something to fix their already made mistake...(im getting a 6600GT in a week or so...since i cant afford 6800 GT or Ultra...)

BTW...i have noticed that many of you have put a "nu" on the end of your 6800. what does that mean? Sorry..im also kind of new to this stuff...

Oh well, it doesn't matter really though, my weak lil CPU handles high Definition WMV fine.

Note: I have a AMD XP3200

Back