TO ALL GF6800 AGP owners

bonkrowave said:
S Z if this is true we have another tall tale from nvidia. If thoose results show 100% cpu usage on a PCIe card ... then it is broken on the PCIe as well. IT was stated earlier that this was only a problem with AGP versions.
No, look at the charts again, they test with both 61.77 and 65.76 and it does work with 65.76. So if there is a problem it looks like its only with the AGP version.

I don't know about you guys... but I've already copied video off my Digital Camcorder and compressed it, watched DVDs, and all that... on my Geforce 6800GT. So what is "video processing" anyway?

Oh and I've just had too huge 22oz. lagers so I'm not totally coherent, but I like my video card, and I think that it's -cool- to have a fast ass system.

Tonight... I install the system in my Lian Li case and add in the Antec NeoPower... then I can update my signature.

The video processing in question does not fall across the whole spectrum of formats. The video processing in question is for high end video 1080i DMV9. This is what we are concerned about ... this is what nvidia promised us .... the is what nvidia is being less then truthfull about

mattman .. please read the entire thread ... this article is from a less the reliable source and is total BS there are many things wrong with this article ... it is not fixed
not to mention that fact nvidia has stated a fixed driver will not be available until mid to late nov .... so this is obviosuly BS not to mention the fact it has been reporte it may well be a hardware issue that will not get resolved

you obviously have no idea what you are talking about .... if you read the last 5 pages in the fourm ... there are many charts graphs etc .. all explaining what is wrong with the card. This will not effect your performance in games .... it has to do with DMV9 .. hdtv decoding ... please inform yourself and read the thread first before posting something whihc has been proven false.

P.S. I have the exact same card as your ... it does not work perfectly ... try downloading a 1080i video like the step into liquid one posted earlier. hit ctrl-alt-delete to bring up your task manager and watch as your cpu usage soars when the movie is played. THAT means the on-chip processing is not workin .... clearly you either have a magic card ... or you are in the same boat as the rest of us. If you try to dive into the middle of a thread you really should read what has been talked about and understand what going on.

bonkrowave said:
The video processing in question does not fall across the whole spectrum of formats. The video processing in question is for high end video 1080i DMV9. This is what we are concerned about ... this is what nvidia promised us .... the is what nvidia is being less then truthfull about

mattman .. please read the entire thread ... this article is from a less the reliable source and is total BS there are many things wrong with this article ... it is not fixed
not to mention that fact nvidia has stated a fixed driver will not be available until mid to late nov .... so this is obviosuly BS not to mention the fact it has been reporte it may well be a hardware issue that will not get resolved

That makes absolutely no sense... but anyway, moving on, lol.

It makes perfect sence ... just read the last 5 pages ....
like common guys your ignorance is shameful

can you stop flaming me man lets wait to we get all the thanks just calm down LOL th worlds going to end lol :confused: :confused: :p :p

so is this guy suggestin i throw up my arms and start cry like a little girl umm ok lets just wait to we get some better facts then just the one guy

wait a second ...

you come in here telling everyone to stop crying

yet the information your present has already been talked about and disregarded...
you dont read the entire thread before posting
and you dont fully understand what we are talking about

you should expect to be flammed in return
mattman255 said:
fixed no more crying k

and your last sentence could use a touch of english

and you woudl realize it is not just my word ... read the entire thread ... many ppl are saying the same thing .. and test have been done to show the problem (the charts on the last page)

the facts have been clearly laid out over the last five pages .... read them before flamming people for something u do not understand

bonkrowave said:
yet the information your present has already been talked about and disregarded...

No offense, but who ever said it was false when it is an official reply from nVidia?

If you read the last five pages ... nvidia has also stated the driver to fix it would not be available till mid to late nov. They have also said the DMV9 decoding is only available on 6600 cards and not the 6800. Nvidia is in damage control right now they are willing to say anything. They just updated their website with a littel note at the bottom of the video processing information page saying ... this feature will not be available untill a future driver release.

Thats it if people choose to not read the rest of the thread and not inform themselves about the situation I give up.

You notice that Nvidia says you need the DVD decoder from their website as part of the fix for the problem?

Also notice that said DVD decoder costs $19.99 from Nvidia's website?

Hmmm.... sell something with a broken part, sell software that supposedly fixes it...
Reminds me of the conspiratist theory that Anti-Virus Software program writers release their own viruses to fix so they sell more of their program....

Dude, I've read the entire thread. If they say it will come for cards with later driver releases (As it does in both TheInq's reply and on their website) just let it be till the drivers come out.

I just don't see how you can completely discredit a response from the company you want the fix from, when they tell you that it'll be fixed, regardless of past presense.

bonkrowave said:
You can discredit a company when they give different stories to different people.

The actual official responses have been the same to all those who have asked nVidia directly, not the third party retailer. The retailers are the ones giving the different stores.

DropTech said:
Dude, I've read the entire thread. If they say it will come for cards with later driver releases (As it does in both TheInq's reply and on their website) just let it be till the drivers come out.

I just don't see how you can completely discredit a response from the company you want the fix from, when they tell you that it'll be fixed, regardless of past presense.
But listen now, they do not say that wmv acceleration will be supported for 6800 in a future patch anywhere in that official responses, only for the 6600.

i tell people to stop crying because for you example bonk your on the stage your crying throwing your arms up lets wait for some officall facts and not just one guy saying this is happening k ;) i am sure now since it is officall nvidia going too fix it at a cost but lets not just say the 6800gt a bad card its by from that a great card

S_Z said:
But listen now, they do not say that wmv acceleration will be supported for 6800 in a future patch anywhere in that official responses, only for the 6600.

But it is actually implied, and or worded very carefully. If it was worded very carefully, I can understand everyones frustration, yes; but the fact of the matter is we don't know yet which one of this is entailed.

Pardon this noobish question, but how can you tell whether or not you are getting frames dropped (i.e. statistical numbers) in WMP10? I wish to see how many frames are dropped (if any) on my system.

Hopefully NVIDIA will not turn a blind eye on this situation, or claim that the 6800's never had this feature in the first place. Let's hope it really is a driver issue... as I would no doubt that they would loose a substantial number of customers if this were not so.

mattman255 said:
i tell people to stop crying because for you example bonk your on the stage your crying throwing your arms up lets wait for some officall facts and not just one guy saying this is happening k ;) i am sure now since it is officall nvidia going too fix it at a cost but lets not just say the 6800gt a bad card its by from that a great card

Did you even read the thread? Lots more people than bonkrowave are saying it's a problem. Stop thinking everyone is trying to rip on the 6800 GT. No one is saying it's a bad card. Sometimes the only way to get an official response is to make a big stink about it. That's how the hardware community works.

I just want to make clear ... the 6800 GT OC from BFG is an amaing card. It gives great frame rates in doom 3 and far cry and will give great performance in half-life 2 ... the source engine stresst test is saying round 100 with details maxed.

bonkrowave said:
I just want to make clear ... the 6800 GT OC from BFG is an amaing card. It gives great frame rates in doom 3 and far cry and will give great performance in half-life 2 ... the source engine stresst test is saying round 100 with details maxed.

This may be true. It is indeed an excellent card for gaming, and I love it.

But, this is not the issue at hand.

NVIDIA claimed that the card had certain capabilities that it cannot yet provide. This is false advertisement on their part, whether it was intentional or not. I just hope they resolve the issue.

6800GTOwned said:
If you're running your rig as it is in your sig then it is a big enough problem to effect you... you'd be unneccessarily stressing your already OCd cpu everytime you tried to do something simple like watching a dvd. Who knows how much something like that could shorten the lifespan of your cpu..?

IMO, that's definately something a gamer should be concerned with. I'm gonna run some tests of my own later today with HD wmvs, and see if mine's working or not.

*EDIT* and yes, apparently PCI-E 6800 owners are at risk as well, since the only difference between them and the AGP cards is the PCI-E bridge attachement... they apparently still have the same exact pcb.

I watch DvDs all the time and I haven't experienced any issues. And you're saying that my system might have a problem being over taxed when watching DvDs...right, what ever. :rolleyes:

I believe a PII 400 or any CPU this fast or a !!!! hair faster can play a DVD. I have a neighbor who still uses a P3 650mhz w/ GF2 MX400 to watch DVD's and XviD DVDrips using TV-out. And he has no problems. Anyway WMP v10 is lame and full of DRM and who wants to watch video that is soft and lost detail cause its post processed to death.

Use VLC or WMP Classic to watch movies on your PC or PowerDVD or WinDVD.

And incase youi dont know what DRM is...

http://www.epic.org/privacy/drm/

http://www.drmwatch.com/

Microsoft Palladium

In June 2002, Microsoft announced its Palladium project, a project that would embed DRM into software and hardware. For more information, see the EPIC Palladium Page.

The SSSCA and the CBDTPA

In September 2001, Senator Fritz Hollings (D-SC) announced plans to introduce the Security Systems Standards and Certification Act (SSSCA). The SSSCA would require equipment manufacturers to embed government-approved copy protection systems into all computer equipment.

In February 2002, Sen. Hollings scheduled hearings to examine the need for government imposition of standards for digital content protection. During the hearing, legislators declared that they would introduce legislation to mandate control requirements if the industry did not develop them. All of the hearing panelists represented large corporations and there was no testimony taken from consumer advocates.

In March 2002, Sen. Hollings introduced the Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act (CBDTPA). This copyright control would force manufacturers to embed copy protection in all devices that can receive digital media. The Senate Judiciary Committee also held hearings, and is now accepting comments from the public on the implications of the CBDTPA. Opposition to the CBDTPA has been vigorous both from individual users and from business interests.
http://www.epic.org/privacy/drm/#palladium

SuX0rz said:
I watch DvDs all the time and I haven't experienced any issues. And you're saying that my system might have a problem being over taxed when watching DvDs...right, what ever. :rolleyes:

We are not talking about standard DVD's here. We are talking about high resolution WM9 encoded videos (720i and 1080i). These are very taxing on most cpu's out today.

SuX0rz said:

This doesn't have anything to do with DVD's (I originally thought the same) but seeing as the MPEG1/2 performance of the 6x00 series is phenominal, it's only MPEG4 and HDWMV performance we're gearing twoards here. DVD's don't put much strain on anything, lol, so it won't "Shorten the life" of the your overclocked CPU or GPU.

Like was said earlier, whether nVidia is wording their statement very carefully or it will take simply a driver revision to enable it on the 6x00 cards, has yet to be deteremined, and only time will tell.

DarkenReaper57 said:
We are not talking about standard DVD's here. We are talking about high resolution WM9 encoded videos (720i and 1080i). These are very taxing on most cpu's out today.

Just outta curiosity, it might have been mentioned earlier (or even in the nvnews thread) but what percentage of things out today use this format?

DropTech said:
Just outta curiosity, it might have been mentioned earlier (or even in the nvnews thread) but what percentage of things out today use this format?

Honestly, I do not know. I don't think HDWM9 is very popular yet...But, if you are correct with MPEG4 not being supported either, then I'd think this would be a substantial amount, or soon will be.

The issue cannot simply be overlooked (I'm not saying that this is what you were suggesting, either).

DarkenReaper57 said:
Honestly, I do not know. I don't think HDWM9 is very popular yet...But, if you are correct with MPEG4 not being supported either, then I'd think this would be a substantial amount, or soon will be.

The issue cannot simply be overlooked (I'm not saying that this is what you were suggesting, either).

MPEG4 will be supported with a future driver...

Though it looks like WMV9 will not be.

From reading the Nvidia statements and benchmarks.

Well, I for one did notice that the GF6800 did seem to have problems playing back 1920x1080 @ 30 fps HDTV content, even low-bandwidth stuff. In comparison DVD is 720x480 @ 24fps, HDTV shows approximately 7.5x more pixels than DVD.

With HDTV content it would very consistently drop the P frame immediately succeeding a very large I frame, even when I was testing it with P4 3ghz class machines. Some cases it was running closer to 20 fps than 30fps.

I just chalked it up to the drivers, and didn't make much stink over it. This is definitely a little bit blown out proportion, as I'm sure Nvidia will get around to it eventually.

Ok, just so I get my facts straight, did NVIDIA originally say that 6800 series AGP cards could decode HDWMV9 videos?

I think they did, but I just want to be sure.

Steel Chicken said:
go read the thread over @ NV news, then you will become more informed. i wasn't originally going to but decided to inform myself. does it effect games? no. does it effect certain codecs? yes. does it bother me? yes. does the card work as advertised? no. will nvidia admit there is even something wrong with it publically? that remains to be seen

so let me ask you a question. (i admit my earlier car anology was extreme).
lets say you buy a new car. the car runs. it drives. 4 months later, summer arrives and its hot out. you turn on the ac, and it doesn't work. what do you do? say "its no big deal the car still runs" or do you get the issue resolved. the fact that you hadn't used the AC yet is irrelvant. the fact that the AC is not needed to actually get from point a->b is irrelevant. it was listed as a functional feature of the car, included its design and price, and it doesn't work.

if its no "big deal" to you thats fine, you see I can actually accept that some people dont care about this...what I find odd is that some people refuse to allow other people to have differing view points...why is it wrong to have a product work as advertised? this aint no $15 PCI card...they are high end $400 cards, and for that amount of money, it needs to do EVERYTHING its supposed to, IMO

think what you want, but have the courtesy to allow others the same option

That is a horrible analogy. A videocard is not a standalone object like a car is... A better analogy would be you bought a car that claimed that the AC did not pull any power from the engine only to find out that it does and that takes a little bit of the power away from the engine.

Jared701 said:
That is a horrible analogy. A videocard is not a standalone object like a car is... A better analogy would be you bought a car that claimed that the AC did not pull any power from the engine only to find out that it does and that takes a little bit of the power away from the engine.

Bah, give him a break. I agree that when you spend a premium for a high end card, everything listed on the package should work. Why in your right mind wouldn't you?

You cannot let corporations win just because we are consumers and do not have as much marketing power.

But, on the other hand, I don't think this whole thing should be blown out of proportion. We, as consumers, need to make sure NVIDIA correctly addresses the problem, thats all.

ZenOps said:
Well, I for one did notice that the GF6800 did seem to have problems playing back 1920x1080 @ 30 fps HDTV content, even low-bandwidth stuff. In comparison DVD is 720x480 @ 24fps, HDTV shows approximately 7.5x more pixels than DVD.

With HDTV content it would very consistently drop the P frame immediately succeeding a very large I frame, even when I was testing it with P4 3ghz class machines. Some cases it was running closer to 20 fps than 30fps.

I just chalked it up to the drivers, and didn't make much stink over it. This is definitely a little bit blown out proportion, as I'm sure Nvidia will get around to it eventually.

Just to clear up this fps thing...

NTSC = 29.97fps
PAL = 25fps
FILM = 23.97fps

Anything using fps other than these is wrong and the mistake of the encoder.
www.Doom9.org and www.DVDrhelp.com both have FAQ's that explain this.
And decoding any high resolution video is a task. MS has a WMV9 benchmark tool somewhere on their site that when played will tell if you drop frames and if so how many.

I personally hope WMV9/10 fails and none uses it. I wont support DRM and I would rather see Mpeg4/XviD supported instead.

Well, when I say 24 fps for DVD its just a roundoff, but I'm glad to see someone is keeping accurate score :)

Of course not all DVD's are 720x480 either, a lot are widescreen/anamorphic (I think 368 viewable lines, rest are black if converted to 1.33 aspect?)

Still, simple HDTV resolution decoding (as mentioned, perhaps 7.5x more pixels/sec than DVD) is a lot harder on the videocard than most people think.

Nvidia f---'d us by their false advertising, but let's talk practicalities:

Does anyone with the processor power to take advantage of the 6800/Gt/Ultra really need a seperate VPU for HDTV / DVD?

I don't think people have answered this question but please correct me if I am wrong; it's hard to wade through the flames.

Back