Titanfall Upgrade

y0bailey

Gawd
Hello friends. I have about 10-11 hours logged in the beta and I just pre-ordered for $43. This game is amazing.

I have an aging NVIDIA GTX 570. Great card, but 3ish years old now and showing it's age. It keeps me >60fps, but never over 80-90. I have a 120hz lightboost monitor and in order to take full advantage I want to run 120fps stable.

What card should I grab? I have a $300-350 max budget, ideally under $300. This is leaving me with 760 vs 770, since ATI price insanity due to bitcoins is still chugging along.

Any first-hand experiences from people with these cards, 1080p setting, everything high on settings (don't care about "insane" settings), and constantly >120fps?

What should I buy? Should I wait until Maxwell?

Well you should wait a little, there's no 'game ready' drivers and it's still 'Beta code' not final one.

How did you unlock the framecap, mine is capped to 60fps

Well you should wait a little, there's no 'game ready' drivers and it's still 'Beta code' not final one.

How did you unlock the framecap, mine is capped to 60fps

Triple buffering on the V-sync = lets you run 144hz or 120hz depending on what your monitor runs. I think if you have a 60hz monitor you are screwed however.

With sli disabled in my system listed below, I've been playing it just fine at highest settings with 2xaa @ 1080p. Since gtx770's are basically an overclocked 680, I would expect similar performance.

However, there is a theory that the beta is not representative of final texture quality, and that requirements might be higher to max settings out. If I was in your position and had to purchase now, I'd look at a gpu with at least 3GB of vram, such as the 770 4GB models.

Source engine, so you aren't going to need a beefy card to get good framerates on this one.

It claims that for Insane texture resolution you want 3+ GB of VRAM, but we'll see.

It looks like you'd need a GTX 780 to get near a steady 120FPS. I tried it just now, CPU @ 4.5GHz and it drops to about 100FPS in Angel City. Hard to really follow the counter while the game is going. This is w/High Textures at 1080p. Specs in signature.

No need for Insane textures, btw. It's so fast, you won't even really notice.

The beta was using around 1-1.5GB of VRAM on my GTX 780 with the in-game options turned to Insane and 4x MSAA (I'll have to double-check that # tonight). If the textures will have a higher resolution in the retail version, you may want the 3GB if you plan on using any AA with the graphic options maxed out. A 4GB GTX 770 is probably not worth it, though, due to the 256-bit memory bus.

Hello friends. I have about 10-11 hours logged in the beta and I just pre-ordered for $43. This game is amazing.

I have an aging NVIDIA GTX 570. Great card, but 3ish years old now and showing it's age. It keeps me >60fps, but never over 80-90. I have a 120hz lightboost monitor and in order to take full advantage I want to run 120fps stable.

What card should I grab? I have a $300-350 max budget, ideally under $300. This is leaving me with 760 vs 770, since ATI price insanity due to bitcoins is still chugging along.

Any first-hand experiences from people with these cards, 1080p setting, everything high on settings (don't care about "insane" settings), and constantly >120fps?

What should I buy? Should I wait until Maxwell?

It depends on what resolution you want to play at.

If you are aiming at 1080p, GTX660 is plenty, as is GTX750Ti 2 GB; the issue there is RAM loadout.

I have been playing the Titanfall beta at 720p on a GTX550Ti/Q6600 tag-team - with zero issues whatever. GTX750Ti 2 GB is going to be - at worst - $170; even Amazon has the GTX750Ti SC for $159.99 (Prime) - http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclo...id=1392747405&sr=8-3&keywords=nvidia+gtx750ti.

The darn thing has lower power requirements (and TDP) than my GTX550Ti. (Yes - you DID read that right.) And that is despite twice the GDDR5 (2 GB vs. 1 GB).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It depends on what resolution you want to play at.

If you are aiming at 1080p, GTX660 is plenty, as is GTX750Ti 2 GB; the issue there is RAM loadout.

I have been playing the Titanfall beta at 720p on a GTX550Ti/Q6600 tag-team - with zero issues whatever. GTX750Ti 2 GB is going to be - at worst - $170; even Amazon has the GTX750Ti SC for $159.99 (Prime) - http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclo...id=1392747405&sr=8-3&keywords=nvidia+gtx750ti.

The darn thing has lower power requirements (and TDP) than my GTX550Ti. (Yes - you DID read that right.) And that is despite twice the GDDR5 (2 GB vs. 1 GB).

The OP is looking for something to run at 1080p and 120Hz -- doubt he's going to get anything less than a GTX 770 to do that.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Why would you upgrade. The game is not very demanding at all. I have been playing the beta, the 570 will handle the game 100% fine at 1080p.

Also. The game is insanely fun. I haven't had this much fun in a FPS in a long while, I highly suggest everyone give it a go if they get a beta key. I love the game, the only question is how many modes will the final game have - the beta is somewhat limited. I presume the final product will have more of everything including game modes, at least I hope so.

Why would you upgrade. The game is not very demanding at all. I have been playing the beta, the 570 will handle the game 100% fine at 1080p.

Also. The game is insanely fun. I haven't had this much fun in a FPS in a long while, I highly suggest everyone give it a go if they get a beta key. I love the game, the only question is how many modes will the final game have - the beta is somewhat limited. I presume the final product will have more of everything including game modes, at least I hope so.
He's looking to run the game at 120 FPS on high settings to take advantage of his monitor, and he said he never goes above 80 FPS right now with his GTX 570. I think a 2GB GTX 770 may be a good upgrade for that purpose within his budget.

The 570 is indeed still a great card, but is slowly getting a little long in the tooth. I had a 2.5 GB version myself, but once I upgraded to a 144Hz monitor I wanted more power to increase both minimum and maximum FPS to take advantage of the high refresh rate. I got a GTX 780 because it fit my budget and I couldn't be happier.

Well, NV does not even have a performance driver for the game yet, that could help. It may be too early to seek an answer to this question, and the OP should save his money in the interim. Once NV gets a performance driver out with SLI profiles and all that jazz, it's plausible that performance may jump up that mark. You never know. I just think it's best to save the cash until we have a more clear picture of what the final game will perform like - I think it will be fine once the dust settles, even at 120hz. I could be wrong though. ;)

But if OP really has an upgrade itch, you can't go wrong with the 770 with a 300$ish budget. I'd personally opt for the 780 for a bit more, perhaps even used, though.

Thanks for the input folks. I am for sure waiting until the final version is out..and probably would be smartest to wait until some official benchmarks...but yes, I have had the itch to upgrade for 6+ months now and my ability to wait has long been exceeded.

That being said, BF4 bored me so much I didn't end up upgrading because I wasn't playing enough to care. Now that I am actually going to game again, I want some better eye candy.

Back