Titanfall - Respawn Entertainment's first game

I think things are pretty fairly balanced. There are times in a Titan when I feel like I insta-died, and there are times when I will be running around for nearly an entire round.

It depends on your team, your titan, and your skill. I have not once felt like things were un-balanced. I also feel like if I cannot get a Titan I can still do well.

not as much as the mechs are a part of Titanfall...the entire appeal of Titanfall is the mechs

i like the infantry combat side of things, i just wish there were more pilots to kill. the game is fast paced and a lot of times i'm unable to discern between grunts/spectres and actual pilots. so the way it goes for me is:

attack every player with all my effort assuming everyone is a pilot.
- turns out to be a pilot *nerdy bro fist*
- turns out to be a grunt *deflated ego*
:D

I think things are pretty fairly balanced. There are times in a Titan when I feel like I insta-died, and there are times when I will be running around for nearly an entire round.

It depends on your team, your titan, and your skill. I have not once felt like things were un-balanced. I also feel like if I cannot get a Titan I can still do well.

I agree with this...

the game is fast paced and a lot of times i'm unable to discern between grunts/spectres and actual pilots. so the way it goes for me is:

that's exactly what I do as well...I can usually distinguish the pilots because of their skill set...they don't just stand around waiting to be decapitated like the Grunts and Spectres...the in-game tagging of the names of the human players vs Grunts is weird because they name the Grunts etc with these longer titles which makes me think it might be a pilot (don't know if that made sense)

yeah that makes sense. player tags aren't easy indicators because NPC's have long names too e.g. 'military grunt'

i like the infantry combat side of things, i just wish there were more pilots to kill. the game is fast paced and a lot of times i'm unable to discern between grunts/spectres and actual pilots. so the way it goes for me is:

Your grenades are actually pretty helpful at a distance to pick out the grunts from the pilots. If they scatter, you know they're a pilot. If they die, they were grunts :p.

My mode of choice is last titan standing. I rarely play in the titan though. I'll let it do it's thing while I run around cloaked jumping on the back of enemy titans disabling them that way.

Tried to give it another go with some friends again before we uninstall it. The game is just so mediocre. I don't want to hurt anyone feelings here but I think the people that are enjoying this game are those that are just downright awful at FPS games. TF holds your hand in almost every way. It is so consolized it is ridiculous. The game seems like it is strictly made for casual FPS players for Xbox and then they made a PC port.

Goddamn I was excited for this game. Oh well. I half expected a COD w/ mechs but I didn't expect a game as easy with zero skill level as this. Saved me and few friends $60 thanks to the demo, so there's that.

I'm still up in the air if I'm going to buy it day one. I'm still kinda old school to the point where I like single player games. If there is story or narrative that is done well through multiplayer then that could persuade me to buy the game.

For people up in the air, just wait a couple of days. A lot of people unhappy with BF4 would have been well served if they just waited a day or two and noticed pretty much everyone else bitching about the game. Titanfall could have some new problems on launch as well, it doesn't hurt to just hang around for a bit and see what others are reporting before plunking down $45 to $60.

Tried to give it another go with some friends again before we uninstall it. The game is just so mediocre. I don't want to hurt anyone feelings here but I think the people that are enjoying this game are those that are just downright awful at FPS games. TF holds your hand in almost every way. It is so consolized it is ridiculous. The game seems like it is strictly made for casual FPS players for Xbox and then they made a PC port.

Goddamn I was excited for this game. Oh well. I half expected a COD w/ mechs but I didn't expect a game as easy with zero skill level as this. Saved me and few friends $60 thanks to the demo, so there's that.

I don't see how this is dumbed down at all for "awful FPS players". I come from solely a competitive FPS basis (over 9 years w/ the counterstrike series, and at least 3-4 in UT). YES, it is way less skill based than CS. However, it is on the same level of "skill required" as the COD series.

Because I can aim, have strategy, and am overall a highly skilled FPS player, I am damn near always placed in top 3, probably 50% of the time I am #1. If your theory were correct and this were dumbed down and no skill were involved I would just place randomly each game.

So I don't know what you are doing or what game you are playing, but the skill level required is pretty much exactly like the COD series. It isn't CS level, but at least COD level.

What part did you find dumbed down? More details?

the people that are enjoying this game are those that are just downright awful at FPS games. TF holds your hand in almost every way. It is so consolized it is ridiculous. The game seems like it is strictly made for casual FPS players for Xbox and then they made a PC port

what competitive MP FPS game is not easy?...you go and find someone to shoot, stab, kill...every game is relatively 'easy' once you learn the mechanics...at least with Titanfall you pretty much eliminate campers found in most other MP games...the game does not reward or play to the strength of campers...it forces you to run around and fight

there's something most people miss out on these days- the value of just having fun...doesn't need to be the greatest game in the world with Crysis 3 graphics and complicated mechanics...some people need every game to be revolutionary or they complain...I don't see this game having an active online community 1 or 2 years from now but it's going to sell extremely well on PC and consoles

Actually it's pretty easy to tell most of the time, as Grunts won't actually jump around or anything, and typically they don't sprint, either. So if you see a guy moving around pretty fast and/or jumping, it's probably a Pilot.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I've never seen Grunts doing these behaviors. I have noticed, though, that they will sometimes be up on a rooftop, so I'm not sure if they just get dropped there or they actually climb up there somehow.

what competitive MP FPS game is not easy?...you go and find someone to shoot, stab, kill...every game is relatively 'easy' once you learn the mechanics...at least with Titanfall you pretty much eliminate campers found in most other MP games...the game does not reward or play to the strength of campers...it forces you to run around and fight

there's something most people miss out on these days- the value of just having fun...doesn't need to be the greatest game in the world with Crysis 3 graphics and complicated mechanics...some people need every game to be revolutionary or they complain...I don't see this game having an active online community 1 or 2 years from now but it's going to sell extremely well on PC and consoles

Don't even bother trying to get through to these people. This game is straight up fun. Consolized my ass. This shit is better than BF3 and BF4 (you know it actually works).

Yeah, I don't necessarily agree that the game sucks, but I do agree that it seems to take very little if any skill to be successful in the game. Maybe on release with more weapons/balance tweaks/etc that will change, but right now you are right, it is super easy.

I mean, I've been playing FPS games for a long time, but I'm not a super competitive player (anymore, at least...used to play a lot of twitch shooters like Quake and CS but that was years ago) and I utterly dominate in almost every Titanfall round I've played.

Actually it's pretty easy to tell most of the time, as Grunts won't actually jump around or anything, and typically they don't sprint, either. So if you see a guy moving around pretty fast and/or jumping, it's probably a Pilot.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I've never seen Grunts doing these behaviors. I have noticed, though, that they will sometimes be up on a rooftop, so I'm not sure if they just get dropped there or they actually climb up there somehow.

Spectres will jump on rooftops though. That has got me a few times.

Yeah Grunts don't jump, but they do run sometimes. However, their running path is usually just a straight line towards another piece of cover. I've also never seen a female Grunt so that's another giveaway.

Yeah, I don't necessarily agree that the game sucks, but I do agree that it seems to take very little if any skill to be successful in the game. Maybe on release with more weapons/balance tweaks/etc that will change, but right now you are right, it is super easy.

I mean, I've been playing FPS games for a long time, but I'm not a super competitive player (anymore, at least...used to play a lot of twitch shooters like Quake and CS but that was years ago) and I utterly dominate in almost every Titanfall round I've played.

I think we need to chill on how "easy" it is until the main game is released. The low barrier of entry currently (anyone can play) plus no matchmaking means if you're anywhere above-average in FPS skill level, you'll dominate most matches. This can apply to any game.

The whole monsters part of the game that we have not seen yet seems awesome.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/18/titanfall-maps-monsters-and-story-details-to-blow-your-mind

The grunts/minions and the monsters in this game are really looking more like a MOBA/FPS than your traditional BF or COD game.

I don't think people realize that bots are a design "choice" by the developers. And the whole monster idea just adds another unique element on top of that.

You beat me to this!

If it's true, then it seems like some of the maps will have drastically different playstyles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bingo.

As were almost all of us. Who ISN'T looking for a great new game to be able to devote some time to?

Hmm....interesting about the "monsters". I wonder if that will be in Campaign only or in all modes? Has the potential to add more to the game, or it could end up like the Grunts and just be more cannon fodder to deal with.

The whole monsters part of the game that we have not seen yet seems awesome.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/18/titanfall-maps-monsters-and-story-details-to-blow-your-mind

The grunts/minions and the monsters in this game are really looking more like a MOBA/FPS than your traditional BF or COD game

there's been no confirmation that those monsters are going to appear in the game...could just be a part of the Titanfall lore/history that the book delves into...I hope they appear in the maps as that would add another level of challenge to both pilots and especially Titans...but like I said before it appears the game is trying to diminish the strength and appeal of the mechs by adding in so many barriers so that people can't rely solely on them

I still don't understand how they are going to add a Campaign mode into the MP itself...how is there any guarantee that you will progress if it relies on the MP aspect?

I think we need to chill on how "easy" it is until the main game is released. The low barrier of entry currently (anyone can play) plus no matchmaking means if you're anywhere above-average in FPS skill level, you'll dominate most matches. This can apply to any game.

To dominate in other games like BF and Quake took a lot of practice. I didn't just jump around, point and shoot.
Practice isn't needed in this game. Even when I dominated in BF, I wasn't good at flying or sniping. I still had room to get better in other areas.
You're awesome in this game in all areas soon as you boot into it.

To dominate in other games like BF and Quake took a lot of practice. I didn't just jump around, point and shoot.
Practice isn't needed in this game. Even when I dominated in BF, I wasn't good at flying or sniping. I still had room to get better in other areas.

So you're saying you'd rather you sucked?

Some of you really need to think your arguments through a little better. If the game was too easy/consolized/geared towards the "kiddies" then y'all wouldn't be "dominating". You'd be losing a lot because well, you know.. it's so easy that all of the "kiddies" are able to compete and "dominate" you.

everyone can be awesome right away but there are still going to be players more skilled then you...how is that any different then any other MP FPS game?...I don't believe that every person in this thread is winning all their matches...not a chance...the skill system is still there, is just starts out at a higher level

I think he's saying he'd prefer a challenge, or at least some skill to be required. (?)

You missed my ninja edit: "Some of you really need to think your arguments through a little better. If the game was too easy/consolized/geared towards the "kiddies" then y'all wouldn't be "dominating". You'd be losing a lot because well, you know.. it's so easy that all of the "kiddies" are able to compete and "dominate" you. "

everyone can be awesome right away but there are still going to be players more skilled then you...how is that any different then any other MP FPS game?...I don't believe that every person in this thread is winning all their matches...not a chance...the skill system is still there, is just starts out at a higher level

The problem with "low skill" games is that the "winning" strategy tends to be extremely cheap / glitchy / unfun BUT usually extremely easy to do. Whether it be camping in a specific corner, using a specific weapon, use X with Z to make Y happen, this stuff becomes the only viable way of winning. It comes down to how well you can execute that one completely specific, technically unskilled task, rather than what many consider being "good at a game".

It would be akin to some method of doing an on-side kick in the NFL that was impossible for the opposition to recover. Every team would adopt the method and the entire game would revolve around that one play. (I'm not particularly good at analogies but i think this fits close enough).

It bothers me that even Counterstrike is getting dumbed down for the masses with recent changes in CS:GO...Ugh.

The problem with "low skill" games is that the "winning" strategy tends to be extremely cheap / glitchy / unfun BUT usually extremely easy to do. Whether it be camping in a specific corner, using a specific weapon, use X with Z to make Y happen, this stuff becomes the only viable way of winning. It comes down to how well you can execute that one completely specific, technically unskilled task, rather than what many consider being "good at a game".

It would be akin to some method of doing an on-side kick in the NFL that was impossible for the opposition to recover. Every team would adopt the method and the entire game would revolve around that one play. (I'm not particularly good at analogies but i think this fits close enough).

It bothers me that even Counterstrike is getting dumbed down for the masses with recent changes in CS:GO...Ugh.

This is an arcade shooter. Not a strategic RTS or sim like ARMA. What exactly were you expecting?

You missed my ninja edit: "Some of you really need to think your arguments through a little better. If the game was too easy/consolized/geared towards the "kiddies" then y'all wouldn't be "dominating". You'd be losing a lot because well, you know.. it's so easy that all of the "kiddies" are able to compete and "dominate" you. "

I spent a match a couple nights ago on hard point where all I did was kill bots and ended up second place.

there can still be a lot of really skilled players playing an 'easy' game...it's not only low skilled players getting cheap kills...it's like grading on a curve...everyone starts out with a B in Titanfall but there are still the super skilled players who will be better then you...I would prefer more of a challenge but it doesn't make the game 'unfun' for me...it's just different...if someone was winning every match and totally dominating then I could see it being the case but as long as you aren't then the game is fun regardless of skill level

I spent a match a couple nights ago on hard point where all I did was kill bots and ended up second place.

So one match a couple nights ago on a demo that just came out a couple nights ago and you're writing it off as too easy.... ok, gotcha. :rolleyes:

You could do nothing in Hard Point except capture/decap points and end up first place.

edit: This is also true of BF3/4, and most CoD games.

Last edited by a moderator:
So one match a couple nights ago on a demo that just came out a couple nights ago and you're writing it off as too easy.... ok, gotcha. :rolleyes:

I think the issue is that it's not so much that playing against other players in the game is easy, but scoring in the game in general and being top of the leaderboard is quite easy. As has been mentioned, you can essentially never interact with another human player and still be in the top 3 points wise, because of how the game is designed and how the point system works.

In that sense, yes, it is incredibly easy to rack up points because all you need to do is either run around to different points, or just kill bots over and over. Hell, you can also just call down your Titan and let it run around in auto-mode getting points for you as well.

I'm not personally saying that this specifically is detrimental to the game, but it's pretty clear that it's easy to get a lot of points fairly quickly without any real skill being involved, especially with other hand-holders such as the smart-pistol and cloaking.

Because individual skill matters a LOT more in Titanfall than Battlefield. Even if you go 50-1 in Battlefield, it by no means your team will win. It's the point Focker is trying to make: if skill doesn't matter in Titanfall, then explain how you are doing consistently well against lesser skilled players?

I think once skill-based matchmaking is live, the people complaining about how easy this game is will promptly stop talking about it.

I think the issue is that it's not so much that playing against other players in the game is easy, but scoring in the game in general and being top of the leaderboard is quite easy. As has been mentioned, you can essentially never interact with another human player and still be in the top 3 points wise, because of how the game is designed and how the point system works.

In that sense, yes, it is incredibly easy to rack up points because all you need to do is either run around to different points, or just kill bots over and over. Hell, you can also just call down your Titan and let it run around in auto-mode getting points for you as well.

I'm not personally saying that this specifically is detrimental to the game, but it's pretty clear that it's easy to get a lot of points fairly quickly without any real skill being involved, especially with other hand-holders such as the smart-pistol and cloaking.

i suppose the degree to which it irks you is related to how much weight you put on 'topping the leader board' at the end of each match. i don't care if someone bests me on the leader board by killing a bunch of bots. in the same way i don't care in Battlefield when i or anyone else tops the leader board with a negative KDR and a ton of points from med packs, ammo kits, and flag captures.

not specifically to you MavericK96, i'm quoting your post because i believe it succinctly states the issue people have with Titanfall.

Back