Titanfall - Respawn Entertainment's first game

I hope the PC community will support this game because I refuse to buy an Xbox ONE at this point in time, and this title is definitely not a console seller.
Microsoft feels very differently about that. Suffice it to say that with enough aim assistance, any fast-paced shooter can work fairly well on a console.

Got a code for the peasant box. My luck of course I don't even own an Xbox. I guess I will have to do that work around posted earlier in the thread.

Microsoft feels very differently about that. Suffice it to say that with enough aim assistance, any fast-paced shooter can work fairly well on a console.
I agree that shooters can work on consoles. But going from the comments I've heard from people of differing ages both in real life and online, I hardly believe this will be the title to sell XBONEs. If you already own a 360, why spend $500+ on a new console for a game that will pretty much look and play the same on your current hardware? I think Microsoft has some pretty lofty goals for the success of this title when I think they haven't done a lot in the marketing department to build up hype to level it needs to be for this title to be the "best-selling new IP in video game history." Beyond that, most consumers in their target market are not smart enough to equate the Respawn developers to the original Call of Duty or even CoD4.

You can enable Borderless Windowed mode in videoconfig.txt at C:\Users\You\Documents\Respawn\TitanfallBeta\local

by changing these two variables to these values:

"setting.fullscreen" "0"
"setting.nowindowborder" "1"

Not sure why it's missing in the option screen, but beta. Note that this will lock you at 60FPS just like standard windowed mode, in case you have a 120Hz monitor.

Also in the same file is this:

"setting.cl_fovScale" "1.3"

I've tried changing it to different values but it doesn't seem to alter the FoV in any way.

Eh, signed up for the beta. Sounds like a lot of people are having fun with it

Just got my code, can't wait to go home and play (fuck Vday!)
Muahahahahaha
Just shut up:(

I agree. It depends on who you watch during the gameplay videos. A number of videos I have seen, the player plays Titanfall like CoD (just running around on the ground or standing still), so people get the impression that it's just another CoD shooter. But if you see players utilize the double jump/wall running and combining the two to move, it reminds me of an arena shooter like Quake/UT.
This.

If you asked for a PC code and received an Xbox code, here is the work around.

I never got into the beta for some reason even though I signed up before it went live, but I did that with a fake code and they added the game to my account, lol.

Also WTF, I was downloading at 40 MB/s for a while. If the downloaded data it accurate then that speed was accurate too. I have a 50mbps connection. Now it's back to my normal speed of ~ 7 MB/s

I never got into the beta for some reason even though I signed up before it went live, but I did that with a fake code and they added the game to my account, lol.

Also WTF, I was downloading at 40 MB/s for a while. If the downloaded data it accurate then that speed was accurate too. I have a 50mbps connection. Now it's back to my normal speed of ~ 7 MB/s

Oh, snap. What fake code did you give / what do the xbox codes look like? I definitely need to try that.

the one weapon that feels a bit unbalanced is that Smart Pistol which locks on too easily and can take out large groups of enemies with 1 shot

Parkour climbing and wall running. If you want to get to a spot you can be inventive. Fast paced as in ultra fast! I wish I had FRAPS running earlier when I switched to a shotgun for a round. I thought I cleared out a building of players and AI opponents. So I approached a window and jumped out. Behind me I heard a rifle winding up and I was like, "Damn time to die." Mid fall I contorted my body 180 degrees and shotgun blasted this fool to smithereens who was staring out the window at me to line up the killing blow. Dropped another blast to a couple of A.I. that were amazed at my skill and then finally ate a guided bullet from a pistol. The guided bullet shit can go to hell though. In a hand basket.

Thanks for the overview. Do you think the AI is decent in this game so far?

Don't think I've gotten a code yet, even though I signed up minutes after it went live.

Heres my very first match I played. Its the full length match so you can really see how the game works (instead of just some highlight trailer moments).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=353Uu8Q4PCY#t=18

hmm... youtube made the video look bad. original file looks good (shadowplay)

Last edited:
One thing I really like about the Grunts are the various contextual animations they have, e.g. I saw a friendly Grunt dragging another (dead) one to safety. Really adds a lot to immersion and makes you feel like you're fighting in an actual battle and not just some random arena match.

I gotta say I really like this game so far. Really fun fast paced. I wasn't going to buy it unless there was a really good deal but now I think I'll get it at launch (for $40 - $45 if I can)

First time? Check if you have the windows firewall dialog waiting in the background.

checked that already

I'm getting the news updates etc on the main page but every server choice just checks for 3 secs and throws up the no servers message.

so much for checking the game out before work tonight

If this the majority of this bunch is impressed by "CoD with mechs" then it must be a potential winner :p

Can't wait to get in tonight after work. Shit should be interesting.

the servers are all holding up really well...no issues at all with crashes, bugs or matchmaking

checked that already

I'm getting the news updates etc on the main page but every server choice just checks for 3 secs and throws up the no servers message.

It's a bug, they're working on it currently according to Zampella.

If this the majority of this bunch is impressed by "CoD with mechs" then it must be a potential winner :p

To be fair I actually like COD MW2. This reminds me of it a bit with the fast paced action, but they're very different.

I also kind of like the AI grunts. Like someone else said they make the warzone a bit more immersive. Two grunts were in a melee fight and when I killed the enemy, he says thanks. When I went to take over a control room there was just one grunt there and as soon as he saw me it looked like he had an "oh shit" moment and then tried quickly to get off the control chair. I also saw a grunt dragging his dead teammate to a corner. Their AI is not really difficult and to be honest I think they should be hard to kill. You shouldn't rely on them to hold a checkpoint for you and such.

Anyone getting No servers found when clicking play?

LOL HOLY SHIT. because the servers are down I wanted to keep titanfall running on the main screen and play some TF2 while checking titanfall server status.

I get an error message: Source Warning: "Only one instance of the game can be running at one time".

Last edited:
I spoke too soon about the servers holding up well...now I'm getting the 'no servers found' error

Well that's the problem with judging a game before playing it, something a lot of people here tend to do.

checked that already

Since this game uses matchmaking you might want to check that UPnP is enabled and being used by both your computer and the game. Open Windows Explorer, go to Network, right-click your router (may have to refresh a few times), click Properties, click settings in the first tab and check the list.

Edit: Just read that it's currently a known problem that they're working on. Still good info ;).

Wait I thought judging a game is ok if you say positive things, but not ok if you dislike what you see. At least this is what I see on Titanfall forums and the Titanfall subreddit.

One reply I saw to a negative comment about the game.
"This game is going to be great. You shouldn't judge a game before it comes out and you have a chance to play it."

But if you see players utilize the double jump/wall running and combining the two to move, it reminds me of an arena shooter like Quake/UT.
Some of the mechanics are similar to Call of Duty (gunplay, melee, etc.) but once you're in-game, it feels like something completely different.

To me, it's more like Unreal Tournament 2004.
The thing that defines the gameplay of arena shooters is not just the freedom of motion they give you, but the fact that you can fight while you're at it. As long as you're coming to a near stop and pulling up your sights every time you take a shot, you're always going to be stuck with the pacing of CoD, at least to some extent.

Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, but it's a limitation clearly designed to cater for controllers; even with autoaim, tracking a moving target while on the move - especially with movement mechanics like these - is probably too much to ask of your average console player (I sure as hell can't manage it...).

Not sure if this is correct since can't get in to try, but there are reports that there is no raw input for the mouse. The sensitivity is tied to the refresh rate.

^^^ Source Engine supports Raw Mouse Input so I guess there's no excuse for them not to include it.

Wait I thought judging a game is ok if you say positive things, but not ok if you dislike what you see. At least this is what I see on Titanfall forums and the Titanfall subreddit.

One reply I saw to a negative comment about the game.
"This game is going to be great. You shouldn't judge a game before it comes out and you have a chance to play it."

It goes both ways. People get caught up in the hype and don't like accepting any negativity, which is a whole other can of worms (and why they freak out over reviews less than 9/10).

But there's also a huge difference between posting legitimate concerns and passing the game off as "complete console garbage/bargain bin shooter" before they even have the chance to play it.

The vsync adds way to much lag for me, but not having it on has some nasty tearing. :S maybe it will get fixed with some driver updates. Also I forgot how much MMO mice suck for shooters lol.

Back