Tips on actually getting a 4090?

Lmao fed ex been dropping the ball on my zotac amp airo. Over promised at first by saying it’s coming Saturday but figured it would not get here since it was still coming from cali. Then it was sunday, but stayed in OH all day never moved to Michigan. Then finally arrived in MI. Was on truck all day today, waited all day and then tracking was updated customer not available or business closed.

Is this basic excuse for them to not deliver and move it to next day? I have nothing on my camera and nothing on my ring door bell lmao.

They have been good but this has been the worst experience so far since I moved here. Once it went past 12 I had a feeling I am not getting it cuz they all seemed to deliver before that to me.

Flood gates are open.

Many 4090s now in stock including the $1599 models

Flood gates are open.

Many 4090s now in stock including the $1599 models
Yea and BB isn't allowing 10% off any more either I think lmao, I tried last night didn't work but got some orders in few days back. I scored a couple, msi and gigabyte that i am going to offload here probably for retail to hook people up no tax. I'll just roll with my reward points as my coffee money lmao.

I did get MSI suprim and zotac but I am sticking with my zotac just matches my system better. Offloading that for retail as well charging just shipping only. I am okay returning this one unopened for full money back but be surprised if no one picks that up as they tend to be scalped on.

Tried all codes from capital one shopping didn't work as of last night.

1675273015336.png

Last edited:
Anyone want to try that promo code again from Best Buy? The 4090 I want is finally in stock there but I'm not going to pull the trigger unless I can get the 10% off, and if it's not working I'm not going to apply for the credit card.

I changed the JAN24EMOB1 to FEB24EMOB1 and it seems to be a valid code, but it says it's not eligible with items in my order.

EDIT: I checked the Best Buy credit card application page and it states you get 10% back in rewards on your first purchase, plus $100 in rewards on your first $100 purchase. So, the $1699 Gigabyte would yield $270 back in rewards. Not bad, but I would much rather have the $170 off instant and a $170 reward, as I never, ever shop at Best Buy.

Same here! MSI Suprim X 4090 inbound. Probably not the smartest move for my wallet but my current eVGA RTX 2080 Super FTW3 doesn't hold up too well with 4K ...

Amazon also has in stock the sleeved Corsair 12VHPWR cable that's compatible with my PSU so that's on order also.

EDIT: ... and most of the 4090's are out of stock now at NewEgg.

Yeah, TBH, I game at 4K 144Hz HDR1400... this card will be a great replacement for my 3090. Looking forward to a solid 144 FPS in almost every game I play. The 4090's have been somewhat easier to find lately, but that Suprim X has eluded me... and it's the one i wanted. Ironically, its what I paid for my 3090 years ago, so "meh".

I think the MSI Suprim was also the model I was most interested in, mostly for aesthetic reasons though. I ended up ordering a Gaming X Trio from BB since I had that 10% off coupon and $100 in certificates I needed to use before they expired. Was not my #1 choice, but the price was right (relatively speaking of course) and I don't think I am leaving much performance on the table.

I think the MSI Suprim was also the model I was most interested in, mostly for aesthetic reasons though. I ended up ordering a Gaming X Trio from BB since I had that 10% off coupon and $100 in certificates I needed to use before they expired. Was not my #1 choice, but the price was right (relatively speaking of course) and I don't think I am leaving much performance on the table.
Yeah, you're pretty much splitting hairs with any of these cards. I wanted mostly 3 things, I liked the look of the card, I wanted air cooled, and I wanted the vapor chamber. From reviewing all the cards online, it seemed like one if the absolute best. I'm coming from eVGA since 2007, so hopefully MSI was a good choice as eVGA never let me down once.

Yeah, you're pretty much splitting hairs with any of these cards. I wanted mostly 3 things, I liked the look of the card, I wanted air cooled, and I wanted the vapor chamber. From reviewing all the cards online, it seemed like one if the absolute best. I'm coming from eVGA since 2007, so hopefully MSI was a good choice as eVGA never let me down once.
I've had good luck with MSI cards in the past, although I think the last one I owned was a GTX 1080 (still running in my brothers computer). Had great luck with MSI motherboards with a Meg Ace X570 my most recent. I actually had a DOA evga GTX 260 way back in the day, but problem free otherwise.

I've had good luck with MSI cards in the past, although I think the last one I owned was a GTX 1080 (still running in my brothers computer). Had great luck with MSI motherboards with a Meg Ace X570 my most recent. I actually had a DOA evga GTX 260 way back in the day, but problem free otherwise.
Yeah, my MSI X570 Meg ACE has been a great mobo, so I figured I'd give their video cards a shot. First MSI video card I think I have ever bought... before eVGA days, I mainly bought ASUS and Gainward cards post voodoo era.

Why is newegg charging $20 shipping for these cards? I would think it would be free shipping.

Why is newegg charging $20 shipping for these cards? I would think it would be free shipping.
Probably because they are requiring a signature now... at least that's what it said for me. On the plus side, got next day air? lol

Seems like NewEgg rarely gives free shipping any more. Usually seems to be $9.99 shipping though.

Seems like Newegg rarely gives free shipping any more. Usually seems to be $9.99 shipping though.
Yea its pretty much true. No new shipping there plus no refunds on most items. But clearly people still buy there for $$.

Central Computer here in the SF Bay Area (my local source of HW) is starting to accumulate a number of 4090 models and some are available for online delivery. The place is quite legitimate, I pick up something from their B&M stores almost weekly. Their site always shows qty on hand per store.

https://www.centralcomputer.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?cat=192&q=rtx+4090

When in lived in the Outer Richmond in SF, I would go to Central Computer all the time. Got two AMD 5970's there to run in Crossfire. Awesome place. Glad they are still open.

Wondering if I should change my TUF to some other model?

Gigabyte, PNY and MSI are routinely available. It is mostly to gain some MHz but not sure I want to risk coil whine and all the other complaints peeps on here keep throwing out.

Wondering if I should change my TUF to some other model?

Gigabyte, PNY and MSI are routinely available. It is mostly to gain some MHz but not sure I want to risk coil whine and all the other complaints peeps on here keep throwing out.
FWIW, I have yet to see a card that did not at least have 1 complaint about coil whine...

I've actively avoided looking up this coil whine sound - I imagine if I heard it, then I'd never un-hear it, so best not to look. Like MP3 compression artifacts, video compression artifacts etc. Ignorance is bliss.

As an aside, I'm happy with the Gigabyte 4090 RTX I bought thanks to this thread :) The newegg return window will close on me in a few days but it seems stable so it looks like I'm good to go.

So does anyone even OC these things? I just got like 36K+ TS score without OC'ing, changing power limit or even touching a fan profile... lol

So does anyone even OC these things? I just got like 36K+ TS score without OC'ing, changing power limit or even touching a fan profile... lol
Some go for a 3ghz core, but that's about it as far as performance gains without unreasonably and pointlessly spiking the power usage to 600w+. Some use an undervolt also.

I just set the power and voltage to max and tweaked it to run stable on Timespy.

After satisfying my itch to get the highest score possible, I turned the mem and core down to +1700 and +200 respectively and I'm all set. Figure I get a 5-10% game over stock which is nice.

It is underwater though so I don't have to worry about high temps.

The for sale section has a couple right now for no tax brand new, have you check em out?

I just set the power and voltage to max and tweaked it to run stable on Timespy.

After satisfying my itch to get the highest score possible, I turned the mem and core down to +1700 and +200 respectively and I'm all set. Figure I get a 5-10% game over stock which is nice.

It is underwater though so I don't have to worry about high temps.
What block are you using for the 4090?

Some go for a 3ghz core, but that's about it as far as performance gains without unreasonably and pointlessly spiking the power usage to 600w+. Some use an undervolt also.
Yeah, at stock, this thing is running cooler and pulling way less power than my 3090 was. On TS Extreme, power was maxing out around 460W roughly, default power limit of 480W on my card.

I tried +1000Mhz memory, +200Mhz core, and 520W power limit, it was hitting 3080Mhz core, but craped itself on the 2nd run, so not stable that high for me sadly.

Seeing as every game I play at 4K right now is double the frames easy, not sure I even care to try again until I get bored one day... lol. It seems to be on par score wise even with people who OCed theirs, so im happy.

How's the gaming thus far III_Slyflyer_III ? My rig has 3x 4K@60Hz monitors so I am hoping the old 3900X won't bottleneck the card before V-Sync does. If it does, I'm curious what your initial impressions has been with the 4090 on your 5950X? I'd have to debate upgrading my CPU vs moving to Raptor Lake or Zen4 later this year.

How's the gaming thus far III_Slyflyer_III ? My rig has 3x 4K@60Hz monitors so I am hoping the old 3900X won't bottleneck the card before V-Sync does. If it does, I'm curious what your initial impressions has been with the 4090 on your 5950X? I'd have to debate upgrading my CPU vs moving to Raptor Lake or Zen4 later this year.
If you are only pushing 60Hz, I highly doubt at 4K you will be anywhere close to CPU limited. I'm pushing 144Hz at 4K and I would say I'm not even CPU limited... lol.

My initial impressions of this 4090 are spectacular. I have not run many "official" FPS runs or benchmarks yet but went through a quick splatter of demanding games. This thing is a beast as I stated previously, almost every MP game I play (BF2042, COD:MW2, Forza H5) all max settings, 4K, well over 144 FPS (I actually have to frame cap). Tried frame generation in MSFS2020, CP2077 and Portal RTX, honestly, input lag was barely noticeable in those specific games, it's there, but well worth the boost at 4K for those specific games. MSFS2020 I was getting over 100 FPS over NYC (where before I got like 40 FPS tops). Very impressed so far.

Anyone else find that overclocking the memory has a much larger effect than core? When I go from 21Ghz to 22.5Ghz, I will gain a good 6% or more in some tests, but when going from my normal boost of 2860Mhz to 3000Mhz, barely 1 FPS... lol.

Anyone else find that overclocking the memory has a much larger effect than core? When I go from 21Ghz to 22.5Ghz, I will gain a good 6% or more in some tests, but when going from my normal boost of 2860Mhz to 3000Mhz, barely 1 FPS... lol.
Kinda sounds like the 4090 is memory bandwidth bottlenecked, eh?

Back