• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Tip for painting drivebays. BAKE THEM!!!!

stryder2720

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 29, 2004
Messages
5,939
Ok if you want to paint your drivebays here's the best way to do it that I found.

Go to your local auto parts store and buy DUPLI-COLOR HIGH HEAT Engine Enamel.
100_0881.jpg

Spray your parts, let them DRY, then *important* put them in the oven @ 300F for 2hrs as it says on the can
100_0885.jpg

Your drivebays come out lookin GREAT plus its hard as HEdoublehockeysticks to scratch, before the paint could easily be scraped off with my finger nail.
100_0890.jpg

100_0898.jpg

100_0896.jpg

Enjoy

oh yea: I put them in my oven and didnt notice and odor from it or taste in my food after...So I guess it pretty darn safe. One more thing, I did this with a steel case so I'm not sure how aluminum would do.

*I'm not at fault if your house burns down or something*
 
SAFE????!?!?! Worst advice ever. Congratulations.




seriously........not a good idea to leave that in there that long or at all.........yer banned from giving advice for that :p
 
Qtip42 said:
SAFE????!?!?! Worst advice ever. Congratulations.




seriously........not a good idea to leave that in there that long or at all.........yer banned from giving advice for that :p
It even says it on the can..300-400F for 2hrs.
 
a) Clean your oven. Eww. I'd hate to think you put food in that.
b) You need to stress that this is only a good idea with this particular kind of paint. A lot of paints are highly volitle(sp) for a good hour.
c) Finally, anyone who paints their case correctly, whether it is the inside or outside, shouldn't have to worry about it scratching anyway.
 
ness1469 said:
c) Finally, anyone who paints their case correctly, whether it is the inside or outside, shouldn't have to worry about it scratching anyway.

Yea I tried every method of painting these things besides using car paint or having them powder coated but this worked best. Spray paint my matter how I applyed it would just not stick. I tried all the guides on all the sites and 10 different types of paint but I could not get their ways to work. But this is just another idea I wanted to throw out there.
 
well duh spray paint wont stick to a semi smooth/factory primed surface, you have to sand it before you paint anything u s-ped :: smacks head into desk :: were you absent when they taught painting in shop class?
 
ness1469 said:
a) Clean your oven. Eww. I'd hate to think you put food in that.
b) You need to stress that this is only a good idea with this particular kind of paint. A lot of paints are highly volitle(sp) for a good hour.
c) Finally, anyone who paints their case correctly, whether it is the inside or outside, shouldn't have to worry about it scratching anyway.



Mr perfect above here already paints his case without hassle, keeps his oven sparkling clean, and always reads what paints are flammable at certain temps.. sooo why does he need this advice on painting a case? he doesn't, he'd rather crap here then skip the thread... :rolleyes:

In some metal work Ive done, Ive found using high temp engine paint and heating it after inside a propane oven gives you excellent scratch resistance and helps bond the paint to the metal. Ive done this with art projects, signs, and mailboxes.

cheers
 
Qtip42 said:
SAFE????!?!?! Worst advice ever. Congratulations.




seriously........not a good idea to leave that in there that long or at all.........yer banned from giving advice for that :p

How amazing the people who know nothing about this, are the ones slapping their ignorance on the page......... seriously........... :)
 
keep in mind though, baked on enamels can make some of the best paintjobs, the automotive industry only uses baked on enamels for production cars, but to use your own oven is absolutly insane, cancer anyone??
 
XeRo_Dark said:
keep in mind though, baked on enamels can make some of the best paintjobs, the automotive industry only uses baked on enamels for production cars, but to use your own oven is absolutly insane, cancer anyone??
Um, what? How the heck would you get cancer from baking a case... I mean, unless you're sitting there looking at it for 2 hours I don't get it. Seems perfectly fine to me, I've seen people bake their case paintjobs plenty of times before without blowing anything up ('course you gotta know what paint to use, when or how long to do it, etc.). Seems the paranoia wagon has come in today...
 
impulse.... so your saying you would willfully use your own oven that you bake food in, to bake an enamel onto your case, or really any case? are you on crack?
 
XeRo_Dark said:
well duh spray paint wont stick to a semi smooth/factory primed surface, you have to sand it before you paint anything u s-ped :: smacks head into desk :: were you absent when they taught painting in shop class?

Yes I sanded and sanded and sanded so dont worry.
And whats the difference between this enamel and enamel used in kitchenware like pots and pans?
 
Maybe if you spell out what your worry is... I don't see what's wrong with it, as long as you're starting off with fresh coats and not painting over old junk, and as long as you also remember to clean the oven afterwards. I don't see how it'd be harmful... Maybe if you spell it out for me, no crack here but something else may have incurred brain damage on me lately, who knows. :p
 
stryder2720 said:
And whats the difference between this enamel and enamel used in kitchenware like pots and pans?

That's what I was thinking...

I did a google search on it, and I got some threads about it on some other forums. Most people tend to agree that its pretty safe, and a lot of people actually think it's a good idea.

As far as getting cancer.......that's just silly.
 
Never ceases to amaze me how many retards come out of the woodwork...

Good idea on the paint! And thank you for the idea!

I also use appliance epoxy for some projects. It gives a very hard coat, but in order to get a very clean and bubble-free finish you should use it in a clean, filtered, spray booth.

As far as it not being safe to do this in your oven, BLAH! Read what the man said... Paint if, LET IT DRY (means no more fumes are coming off of it because the paint has cured), then put it in the oven for 2 hours. The solvents that keep the paint liquid for spraying have already evaporated at that point and all you are doing is accelerating the finish drying time (which also serves to harden the paint). I've done worse things in my oven.
 
Exactly. The fact that it might be harmful to your being vanishes after the paint sets. After two hours, there is no reason you couldn't bake it. Why do you think powder coating works so well? It helps to bond it to the surface, just with a plastic based paint.
As a side note, I gave the exact some advice to my friend when we rebuilt his Harley motor with a big bore kit and cams. We used factory Harley black crinkle paint, and he sanded and prepped the cases. Painted them and after a couple hours, slammed them in the oven for a couple more at 250, and they are still beautiful after a whole year of riding including a trip from Michigan to Daytona to California and back. he even accidentally slid the seat into the case side when he was coming to pick me up and work on it :eek: but the damn paint still stuck! I was duly impressed. Now, if you are stupid enough to put a fresh item in the oven you get what you deserve. Survival of the fittest......

P.S. Stryder, nice work! It looks slick!
 
Even if it was "Safe" Im still not doing it in an oven i cook food in. Why risk it? I would much rather just buy a cheep oven for the garage and use that to bake paint and whanot :)
 
Okay, I can dig that..... One thing being that you don't need an exact temperature, just heat and lots of it. More power to you if you have money and room.
 
Quick question, What about the primer??
Would this baking of it not affect that at all? Or are most primers like engine enamel? :confused:
 
8balls said:
would this work in microwave ovens?

:eek: See what I mean about retards... ;) -edit- Replies and thinking like this are what make most things dangerous. Use some common sense for God's sake!

And again, once a paint is cured, it's cured... no problems with the solvents. and it would have to be high heat primer, just like the paint. Isn't the high heat paint made to go on without primer? I know the appliance epoxy is. If you use primer with it you run the risk of it peeling.
 
Yea I didnt use any primer because I was not sure how it would deal with the heat. I just sanded the parts down, cleaned them off with some solvents,painted, LET THEM DRY, and put them in the oven.
 
Correct, no primer needed. In fact, I would be tempted to try regular paint in the over with no primer and see what it comes out like....
 
The number of idiotic posts just amaze me. :eek:

Yeah this is pretty good. I've done a few art projects like that but honestly I've never thought to do it with case parts, lol.

I wouldn't try it with regular paint since it isn't made for this kind of application (eg: heating it in an oven) and I would probably be alittle afraid of possible toxics. Personally I just use a high watt lamp to help "bake" regular paint, it speeds up the curing time.

but to use your own oven is absolutly insane, cancer anyone??
LMAO! You do realise that this is how they make alot of cookware right? I'm not saying there couldn't be any issues with doing this (see responds above) but if the paint is formulated for this kind of use then any "risk" is minimal.

Hell now-a-days everything gives you cancer. :rolleyes: I smoke (not around kids. family, nor my PCs) so I hold no illusions about such things.
 
CrimandEvil said:
it in an oven) Personally I just use a high watt lamp to help "bake" regular paint, it speeds up the curing time..

Hey thats a great idea I think I have 1 of those around here somewhere.
 
This is an old school hot rodder trick. To dispell a couple myths.
1. Oven will blow up, or ignite.
-Why nothing is under pressure. If you let it dry to touch first you won't even have paint fumes. Since the paint is only under pressure in the can you have no worries. That and if your putting it in there wet....I think Darwin called it thinning of the herd.

2. Might contaminate food in future use.
-Oven cleaners are just as flammable, poisonous as anything in engine paint. If your really
worried cock the door open an inch. Or even clean it after your all done.

As for primer in the same section as high temp engine paint is high temp engine primer. For best results scuff up the metal a little with fine grit sand paper. Than prime a couple coats. Allow to dry than sand the primer coat with a fine grit sand paper.

I'm a mechanic and my cousin is an auto body painter. They spray in boothes with temps from 125-150 degrees than let the car sit in 150-200. Your not going to set a fire using a little common sense.
 
I should also mention that you don't want to do this with plastic parts, Metal/Aluminuim only.

.I think Darwin called it thinning of the herd.
That's the thinking I subscript too. :D
 
Just had to throw thin for a laugh...

wife: "What are you baking honey?"
hubby: "Uh... carcinogens."
wife: "Mmmm... sounds good!"
 
SarverSystems said:
One word: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!


one word: READ

"Spray your parts, let them dry, then *important* put them in the oven @ 300-400F for 2hrs as it says on the can"

see that...LET THEM DRY...

the fumes that are "volitile" would dicipate (sp?) before you bake it. for those oof you worried about taste...hahhah remember the styrofoam cups you painted in kindergarden and put in the oven to watch them change shapes... my food didnt taste like plastic... but plastics taste yummmy as a result. :p

i dont see anything wrong if you let it dry a few hours first.
 
i used the same stuff for my engine valve cover and headers shield on my hobby car.

hood1.jpg


hood2.jpg


the heat from the engine baked it for me. i've dropped so many toll while working and not even a scratch.

also pls ignore the ugly pics.... the 1.3 mp camera at work
 
For those of you worried about fumes and such (from the last page). The solution is easy, get a cheap toaster at a yard sale or something, then only use it to bake parts (that's what my uncle does). Problem solved.
 
Pretty good idea now someone try this on aluminum!

Anyone care if I use my tax payer bought Air Force oven to bake this stuff in? ;)
 
Impact9 said:
Pretty good idea now someone try this on aluminum!
I've got an HD rack from a Lian-Li case that I'm going to do this with. :)
Anyone care if I use my tax payer bought Air Force oven to bake this stuff in? ;)
:) You Brits are good guys so go ahead. lol :D I wonder if I can beg my Uncle (since he's in the AF) to see if he can "find" one of those for me. lol
 
I'm in the USAF forced to live here in the UK. Someone has to defend this side of the world since France, Germany, and Russia aren't up to it. :cool:
 
Impact9 said:
I'm in the USAF forced to live here in the UK. Someone has to defend this side of the world since France, Germany, and Russia aren't up to it. :cool:
LOL, if your ever in Colorado I'll buy you a drink. It's the less I can do for you guys (and gals) in uniform. :)
 
Back
Top