Time Warner Suffers Nation-Wide Internet Outage

HardOCP News

[H] News
Time Warner suffered a nationwide internet outage at about 9:30am ET this morning. The cause of the outage is not known, but we have a pretty good idea why the system went down.

If your Internet connection just cut out for about 30 seconds, you’re not alone. At about 9:30am ET, Time Warner cable announced on Twitter that it had experienced an Internet outage that has affected most of the service provider’s areas across the country.

Yes and announced on Twitter! I mean if the outage was any longer how would their customers know there was an outage ;)

Yeah, they probably had to take down the entire system to insert the government web traffic scanning tool to spy on all their customers. :eek: ;)

for 28 seconds I contemplated /wrists ....sadly, interwebs was restored ..../emo

Seriously 30 seconds was cutting it waaay too fine. After 22 seconds, law should mandate that anti suicide propoganda should be displayed and links to offline help webpages be offered. Though, after 60...clean disposal instructionals should ensue! :D

I managed to get the twit update on my non-connected computer :/

Hey guys, my internet is down, and yours is too, if you are reading this, just ignore that first part.

Big deal, Verizon Wireless had a nationwide data outage earlier this year that lasted pretty much the entire day, I was working there and am also one of their customers. Boy, I'm glad I had the day off at the call center when that outage happened! :p

Millions of people have been without power and heat for 8+ days do to that storm, someone bitching about there intertoobs being out for a few minutes seems rather ridiculous.

Millions of people have been without power and heat for 8+ days do to that storm, someone bitching about there intertoobs being out for a few minutes seems rather ridiculous.

Millions of people in third world countries are currently starving, while you type messages using a computer that costs enough to feed 10 people for a year, and you pay enough for internet to be able to feed them monthly.

Someone always has it worse off than you, if we followed your logic no one would ever be able to say anything.

Time Warner cable isnt using Time Warner internet? I mean, they did post on Twitter when the internet was out...

In the Phoenix area w/ Cox a 30 second Internet outage is a rather short and welcome one compared to normal outages :)

Comcast normally is out a whole night without even telling us. 30 seconds is nothing.

WTH, they are running their servers on an ungrounded socket?!

Wouldn't surprise me, I had to stop using their DNS servers, major sites like Facebook, Gmail, yahoo, Google, and HardOCP were not resolving.

It was reported that around 100,000 WOW players were admitted to the ER during this time. :D

suddenlink will go out a couple times a year for up to a few days, get over it

HA! 30 seconds? Right... definitely more like 5 minutes. TWC is the ISP at my job and the entire college lost connectivity. Boy was that fun. Nothing like a good Monday morning.

The funny story - we have a backup link; except when we purchased it, someone missed the fact that after the 3rd hop, our backup link also uses TWC :p.

Is Level3 part of Time Warner? I lost my connection to a server this morning, and when I did a traceroute it was failing right at when it normally switches to Level3. About 30 seconds later the routing had it going from Comcast's IL router to AT&T's network. 5 minutes after that it was routing through Level3 again.

Is Level3 part of Time Warner? I lost my connection to a server this morning, and when I did a traceroute it was failing right at when it normally switches to Level3. About 30 seconds later the routing had it going from Comcast's IL router to AT&T's network. 5 minutes after that it was routing through Level3 again.

Turns out somebody else on that site posted in the comments that Juniper routers the world over crashed at the same time this morning, so TW might have had an outage at that time AND Level3 because they shared router technology and not because they're directly related to each other it seems.

Source: http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/mappin...ail-seen-as-culprit-in-site-outages-10024743/

I was looking at some transfers in DC++ when it hit. I was like....WTF what happened, rebooted my modem and it all came back. I thought I fixed it :(

Mine lasted longer for some sites. It came back after a minute for non-SSL encrypted connections but took longer for me to be able to access anything with https in front of it.

Back