Time to Upgrade

DeadlyAura

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey all, I'm so out of the loop on new phones, and have literally no idea where to start.

I'm currently on a Google Pixel 2. Honestly, I LOVE the phone. I haven't had a single "major problem" with the phone to date, and I would love if I could just replace it with a modern version of the dame damn phone. The sad fact though seems to be that I can't....

My only "problems" with the phone are:
1) Battery life is hit or miss. Sometimes the battery lasts all day, sometimes it inexplicably goes from 80% to dead in a matter of minutes. Overall, the battery just doesn't last anymore, and I'm constantly in search of a charger.
2) I've dropped it WAY too many times. Even with the case, I managed to crack, break, or bend most of the bezel (My job is rough, but amazingly the screen glass is perfect).
3) The charging port has been though hell and back. Since it's the ONLY port on the phone, it gets used quite a bit for the charger, headphones, aux cord, and anything else that I need to plug into it. It's just plain worn out. The cords don't "lock" in anymore, and only certain cords will actually charge it. This is probably my biggest gripe since a good bump in the road will knock the charger or aux cord out of it.

If it wasn't for these issues though, I wouldn't even be looking for a new phone.

Thoughts?

Pixel 5 is on the way, coming in the Fall.
https://www.cnet.com/news/pixel-5-coming-this-fall-with-5g-connectivity/
Not a lot of details though, most of the people creating content talking about the Pixel 5 are just "guessing" about what the actual specifications will be.
In other words, it's uncertain if its even worth waiting for - although to me if you're going to do Android, Pixel just in general, tops the list.

Otherwise I'd recommend looking into OnePlus. And also perhaps getting a rugged case of some variety or another.

Last edited:
I would definitely say that you’re are basically a month or two away from major phone releases such as from Google, Apple, and OnePlus. Seeing how you used the same phone for this long and that you are probably looking for another phone that could last a while, I would wait.

If you can’t wait, OnePlus 7T is a nice cheap android phone for now and the iPhone SE is a nice cheap Apple phone. I wouldn’t spend full price on any flagships right now knowing the new 5G version will be out very soon.

For Android: Pixel 4a if you need it today, tentative on the Pixel 5 if you can wait.

Despite Google's efforts and pushing, I simply can't trust any other manufacturer to maintain proper OS updates for any length of time.

What case are you using? The OtterBox cases are pretty tough, and the Speck Presidio I have on my Pixel 2 has been good.

For Android: Pixel 4a if you need it today, tentative on the Pixel 5 if you can wait.

Despite Google's efforts and pushing, I simply can't trust any other manufacturer to maintain proper OS updates for any length of time.

What case are you using? The OtterBox cases are pretty tough, and the Speck Presidio I have on my Pixel 2 has been good.
Based on some other posts as well, I can survive until the Pixel 5 is at least announced.

I used to use OtterBox 100% of the time, but it's so big and bulky that it makes the phone very inconvenient to use outside of work. I prefer to slip the phone in a pocket when I'm out versus hanging it off of my hip, but it destroys the clips on the case when you constantly pop it on and off the phone. I eventually switched to a slimmer cover that offers a little protection, but doesn't add too much to the size of the phone. That was my compromise, and it has worked RELATIVELY well over the last few years. Again, the phone still works, and the screen isn't broken, so that's something.

This is one of the reasons I stick with my iPhone. Having had many issues with Nexus/Pixel device quality over the years, and multiple software and lack of update issues with other manufacturers I just stick with iOS. Plus throwing the carriers into the mix, and their delays just makes it worse. I don't like the lack of customization, but it's worth it for battery life that is predictable and rooting/roms/tinkering got tedious real quick.

That said, I think that OnePlus is the one other manufacturer with a solid track record of updates/support being timely that I'd trust for an Android device. I seriously considered a used 6T when I recently broke my phone, but the lack of VoLTE and VoWIFI support (again more carrier games) dissuaded me from getting one.

Back