Time to upgrade? Current CPU: QX6850

LifesBane

n00b
I've been out of the loop for quite a while now. I won a QX6850 back at an Intel LAN party a long time ago, and haven't had a need to upgrade since then. I do primarily gaming, and I've been wondering if my CPU (well, and RAM too...) has been starting to bottleneck my system on some newer games that I've been having performance issues with (Battlefield 3, Skyrim, and especially PlanetSide 2).

What are the major improvements in the i3/i5/i7 series that would help in gaming? I've read that it's worth going with an i5, as the hyperthreading on the i7's has been known to cause stuttering issues with some games -- it seems to me that games more just tolerate HT rather than actually take advantage of it. The other benefit I see of going to a new processor is being able to switch over to a motherboard that supports DDR3 finally.

My other option is to look more into overclocking if people think the step into a new processor series isn't warranted. I can hear the gasps now -- I know the QX6850 was meant for overclocking, but I've always been hesitant to try due to heat issues I've had in the past. I'd definitely explore that option if it seems like it would make a difference though.

Here's my current setup:

CPU: QX6850
Cooler: Corsair H50
Case: Raven RV03
Motherboard: EVGA 780i (plagued with constantly high MCP temps... but that's another story :p)
RAM: 4gb DDR2 800 (4-4-4-12 timing)
Video Card: GTX 480

Thanks for any advice on this. I've been out of the hardware game way too long now, and it's scary trying to find my way back in (like how I'm seeing stuff about future CPU's possibly being soldered to the mobo now? Yikes!)

My opinion:

You might want to try an SSD upgrade along with a full 8 GB of DDR2 memory before you go for CPU+Mobo. I know your hitting a wall with just 4GB in BF3 and PS2 felt unoptimized when I played it the other day.

Also your bottlenecking your CPU loadtimes/system smoothness without an SSD pretty badly if you have a mechanical Hard drive.

Thanks teletran8. I've definitely thought about snagging a SSD, maybe I'll finally jump on it. As for the RAM, I've thought about it, but I'm worried about stability. The motherboard series I have seems to have stability issues with high amounts of RAM, requiring voltage increases, which in turn causes higher MCP temps -- something I already struggle with, even after an RMA of the board. Combined with the cost of DDR2 these days, I'd almost rather just put more money into some newer parts than deal with unstable old stuff.

As for CPU differences though -- is there really not much more the i5/i7's would have to offer than what I have already?

What kind of performance problems are you having? You do gain some serious performance when you upgrade from say what you have to an ivy bridge. If you are seeing stuttering check and see if it is when your hard drive is accessing. SSD drives are on sale and you would definitely notice the difference. Depending on your settings you could also upgrade your video card as well. Then hold out until Haswell next year.

As for CPU differences though -- is there really not much more the i5/i7's would have to offer than what I have already?

For gaming, yes there is a big difference. You're looking at 30% to 55% increase depending on the game

I'm a pretty demanding user, but I've found no reason to upgrade from my current desktop that I built about 2 yrs ago.

i5-2500k
asus p8p67 pro
8gb ddr3-1600
Crucial 128Gb Sata 6 SSD (hdparm shows 384mbps!)
Hitachi 500gb sata for libraries

This system could be built for much cheaper now that SB is a generation old.

Point being, you could throw together a machine with an i5-2500k and it be MUCH faster than your old q processor. But I think the SSD makes as great or more difference than the processor.

This machine literally takes longer for the bios to post than it does to boot ubuntu or windows 7 ult.

Hmm, I may have to start piecing together some new hardware. Thanks for all of the responses!

Nman -- I'm mainly getting over poor performance with lots of action on screen at the same time. Not so much stuttering, but just sustained 10-15fps max in big battles in some games like PlanetSide 2, no matter how low I dump down the settings. I've heard a lot of people saying that PS2 is a very CPU heavy game, which is what made me start investigating if that was indeed what was holding me back.

Your probably maxing out the system Ram from your description. Is your CPU overclocked? If so how much? It's hard to tell what to recommend you do without knowing that. If you could get a second set of 4GB Ram that works for you it will probably help, an SSD upgrade is also well worth it. You could use the SSD in your next build anyways too.

Something to try. I checked into the requirements for the game. Recommended is 8gb of memory and a 500 series graphics card. Hit control alt delete and how much memory do you have free right after you boot? Also check on any applications you have running in the background.

I am having no issues with mine. Check in my sig. I am running a SSD and the bios version for the 780iSLI FTW edition even though it isn't. Fixed a couple stablity issues and was able to OC my cpu to 3.55 after this. Previous best was 3.4

Your first move should be to a new chipset and processor. Ram comes cheap when its ddr3 and then throw in another 480 if your on a budget

I think you are a perfect candidate to upgrade to a new cpu/ram/mobo/ssd. Then just sit back and be amazed at how fast your new system is.

This year I upgraded from a q9550, 4gb of RAM, and hard drive to a new cpu/ram/mobo/ssd. It's incredible how much faster and better performing it is. I knew it was fast but truly didn't realize until today. I had to throw my old system together again for something I needed and was shocked at how pathetically slow it really was. Just six months ago it seemed like a pretty fast pc before I upgraded.

Thanks again all.

I'm probably going to save up and try jumping over to a new CPU/Mobo vs. throwing more money at trying to scrap up 8gb of DDR2.

For the time being, I decided to finally attempt overclocking this. Sitting at 3.6GHz stable so far. I was surprised at how painless it was. I may even try bumping the multiplier up to 10 (4.0GHz) to see what the temps do, but that's probably pushing it :p

Thanks again all.

I'm probably going to save up and try jumping over to a new CPU/Mobo vs. throwing more money at trying to scrap up 8gb of DDR2.

For the time being, I decided to finally attempt overclocking this. Sitting at 3.6GHz stable so far. I was surprised at how painless it was. I may even try bumping the multiplier up to 10 (4.0GHz) to see what the temps do, but that's probably pushing it :p

Overclocking should keep you going long enough to save up enough money so you are not rushed into buying. I agree that putting money into an aging system just isn't worth it, while overclocking is free and definitely worth it at your pc's stage of the game.

If you got a Microcenter near you, look for their i5 2500k / i5 3570k + mainboard deals.

If I was you I will sell the CPU and motherboard + Ram on EBay and add little cash to grab the 3570k+motherboard deals :)

Great help all. I think I'll be looking into the i5-3570k. I checked out that Microcenter deal atp -- not bad. They have a good bundle price with that CPU and the ASRock Extreme3. However, Newegg is running a bundle deal with the same CPU and the ASRock Extreme6, which also includes 8gb of G.SKILL Ripjaws (DDR3 1600). It comes out to more than the Microcenter bundle, but with tax, gas, tolls and time added on since I'd have to get it in-store, there's not a huge difference.

I'm thinking I may just grab that Newegg bundle and couple it with the Plextor M5 Pro that was just reviewed here. It looks like my Corsair H50 would still work with the Socket 1155 processors too which is nice. Maybe I'll try to Ebay the old CPU/Board/RAM while I'm at it :)

Again, thanks for all of the advice!

I picked the Asrock Z77 Extreme4 board when I went to MC and got the i5 3570k bundle.

Solid board, nearly stock volts to hit 4.4 rock stable. Running DDR3 2200 on G.Skill Ripjaws 2133 modules 9-9-9-24-1t timings.

I'd expect the Extreme6 to be even better. Back in the day, Asrock had seriously quality control issues, but they seem to be turning out quality boards now.

I will say though, the i5 3570k IMC is capable of running a whole lot better than DDR3-1600 speeds. I'm not sure there's a huge RW performance difference going up to 2133, but name-brand paired 8gb modules at that spec are relatively cheap.

Either way, if you can get an i5 3570k + decent board + 8gb decent ram for ~$220, that's a steal in and of itself.

You'll be happy either way with the 3570k, she's a gem ;)

Last edited:
Newegg is running a bundle deal with the same CPU and the ASRock Extreme6, which also includes 8gb of G.SKILL Ripjaws (DDR3 1600).

Link?

-edit- Nevermind. I see it's based off the motherboard's item page.

Last edited:
Great help all. I think I'll be looking into the i5-3570k. I checked out that Microcenter deal atp -- not bad. They have a good bundle price with that CPU and the ASRock Extreme3. However, Newegg is running a bundle deal with the same CPU and the ASRock Extreme6, which also includes 8gb of G.SKILL Ripjaws (DDR3 1600). It comes out to more than the Microcenter bundle, but with tax, gas, tolls and time added on since I'd have to get it in-store, there's not a huge difference.

I'm thinking I may just grab that Newegg bundle and couple it with the Plextor M5 Pro that was just reviewed here. It looks like my Corsair H50 would still work with the Socket 1155 processors too which is nice. Maybe I'll try to Ebay the old CPU/Board/RAM while I'm at it :)

Again, thanks for all of the advice!

Great choice on getting a new MoBo/CPU/RAM. Consider getting the Samsung 840 Pro... it's a little more than the M5 Pro, but you also get Assassin's Creed III with it. ;)

Solid board, nearly stock volts to hit 4.4 rock stable. Running DDR3 2200 on G.Skill Ripjaws 2133 modules 9-9-9-24-1t timings.

What kind of cooling / case are you using? I haven't looked much into how the Ivy Bridge chips are with heat, and I'm curious how far I might be able to push mine. I'll likely be using my current Corsair H50 for CPU cooling (two Scythe Gentle Typhoons (AP-14) in a push/pull on the radiator). I'll be using the Raven RV03 case this current system is in as well.

Deja -- almost went with the 840 actually! Decided I need to play through AC2 and the rest first before I tackle AC3 ;)

I have an open air Thermaltake Element G along with a HR-02 Macho in a single fan push config. Air flow is maximum and the ambient temp is usually ~75d. Using some artic silver stuff. [H] did a review on the Macho a while back and gave it a gold rating for its efficiency and cost. I'd imagine your H50 is just as competent.

The only thing I won't do is take the vcore above 1.2v because my temps go out of control and i'm still not really use to see my chip sit at 95C (even though its rated up to 105). You may be able to get more out of our chip because water is more efficient than air, but give her a go and see whatcha get:)

Back