Time to replace the Antec...

QuantumSlip

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a Antec 430W Truepower hooked up to a modest rig, nothing that it can't handle. It's always given me slightly low voltage rails (3.3=3.20, 5=4.78-4.81, 12V=11.64), but it's always been stable. Anyways, I've been trying to get my computer quieter, and I got a super-quiet Arctic Cooling 2L to help me; unfortunately, all I can hear is the Antec PSU! It's fan is always spinning at 2000rpm+, and with 2 of them in there, it's quiet loud. So my plan is to sell it, and use that money plus a little extra to get a better but quieter PSU. Fortron Source seems to be a good brand, and I'm interested in their 120mm PSU's; are they any quiet? What other brands can I jump on?

Cliff notes:
  • Antec PSU too loud
  • Want to sell it and get quieter PSU
  • Fortron Source looks nice, how loud are their 120mm PSU?
  • Any other recommendations?

silenx seems good, the zalman is too
but u have to consider how quiet u want compared to how hot ur computer will run, usually the quiter the hotter (to some extent)

1. Those voltage numbers, wherefrom did you measure/get them?
2. Why not just replace the fans, it's not too hard of an operation. Grab a couple of Panaflo L1As, and while you're at it get some elastomeric fan mounts and sillica gel vibration dampeners.

Vertigo Acid said:
1. Those voltage numbers, wherefrom did you measure/get them?
2. Why not just replace the fans, it's not too hard of an operation. Grab a couple of Panaflo L1As, and while you're at it get some elastomeric fan mounts and sillica gel vibration dampeners.

I got them from PCAlert4, the monitor for MSI motherboards. As for replacing them, I could do that, but I rather not go through the hassle of changing them out. Also, doesnt it involve a bit of soldering too? Really not keen in that area.

As for silent, I dont need it to be super-silent, but something definately quieter than an Antec...

Vertigo Acid has a good point. most onboard sensors aren't very accurate. although, all of the Antec "True" PSUs i've tested have had rails that were on the low side of the spec'd voltage.

if you have the extra money and want the best of the best, check out PCP&C. you can special order any of their PSUs with a quieter fan.

I second the suggestion by Felix88. PC Power & Cooling power supplies are the cream of the crop. My Antec Tru330 has always had slightly lower voltages on both an MSI board and my new Abit. If you have the money to spend and want the best (and hopefully quietest) PSU out there go for a PCP&C.

PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool line is anything but quiet. The silencer line is quite quiet, but is not of the same calibre quality as the turbo cool

I replaced my antect true blue 350 with a 470 watt enermax noisetaker w/ active pfc. The active pfc really isn't that useful, but it's a good powersupply. The extra 12 volt line makes me happy. My only complaint is not enough molex connectors and the cables are hard to bend.

QuantumSlip said:
I got them from PCAlert4, the monitor for MSI motherboards.
I'll back up what vertigo says about monitoring software, all of them are no good as far as i'm concerned. I have used pcalert4 quite a bit (came with my msi mobo) and that program is the least accurate that i've ever seen....just a heads up.

Vertigo Acid said:
PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool line is anything but quiet. The silencer line is quite quiet, but is not of the same calibre quality as the turbo cool

felix88 said:
you can special order any of their PSUs with a quieter fan.

as i said earlier, you can get a quieter fan in the Turbo-Cool series.

the Silencer PSUs are good units, and of course they aren't the same quality as the Turbo-Cool models.

The silerncer line isn't much better than the average Fortron, but you're paying quite a premium price over one. 5% regulation, for that price? Bah. Not to say they are bad PSUs, but IMO they are heavily inflated price-wise, even worse than the Turbo Cool Deluxes. Yeah if you're going to drop the cash for a PC Power and Cooling, get a Turbo Cool Deluxe and have them throw in a quiet fan. Silencers aren't worth it; They are kinda pretty tho.... :p

yea, i guess i shouldnt be that concerned about the rails that much. looks like I'll be getting a fortron PSU 400W, not the 120mm one, but the 80mm one; apparently they're alot quieter from what i've read

The gang at http://www.endpcnoise.com/ are fanatical about noise and quality componates in the special *quiet* systems they build for picky customers..they use the Antec Sonata case then remove/replace the Antec 380/350 (which they sell for very reasonable price-$39) and replace them with Fortron/Sparkle/Zalman/Nexus 300w single fan..strike another mark for the FSP group.

[

QuantumSlip said:
yea, i guess i shouldnt be that concerned about the rails that much. looks like I'll be getting a fortron PSU 400W, not the 120mm one, but the 80mm one; apparently they're alot quieter from what i've read
You should be impressed at how heavy that Fortron 400w single fan unit is..they stuff the largest heat sinks they can into it..theres no room for a second fan and it doesn't need one. This series from FSP will last for many years,the only thing I can imagine replacing eventually even then is the fan..everything else inside is industrial strong.

How much quieter do you want it?

I take it you want to hear a pin drop in that room.

Back