Time to clean the loop

reaper7534!

Limp Gawd
I've been running the current Loop for 2 years now it's time to change out the Mayhem pastel. Curious to see what kind of build up there is and if it will affect temperatures I'll do it before and after test to see the difference. Couple of questions, what size are the screws for ekwb 1070 waterblock to remove and clean fins and can I reuse a thermal pads as long as they're in good condition ? I'm going back with Mayhem pastel and plan to flush the system with distilled water. Once I have the system clean can I polish the nickel plating with an automotive metal polish that's non-abrasive ?

I've been running the current Loop for 2 years now it's time to change out the Mayhem pastel. Curious to see what kind of build up there is and if it will affect temperatures I'll do it before and after test to see the difference. Couple of questions, what size are the screws for ekwb 1070 waterblock to remove and clean fins and can I reuse a thermal pads as long as they're in good condition ? I'm going back with Mayhem pastel and plan to flush the system with distilled water. Once I have the system clean can I polish the nickel plating with an automotive metal polish that's non-abrasive ?
not sure on screw size but dont try and polish the nickel just use a brush to get it clean, maybe a microfiber cloth to "polish" it and remove prints. polish is abrasive. oh and if the pads are clean and in good shape id still use em.

not sure on screw size but dont try and polish the nickel just use a brush to get it clean, maybe a microfiber cloth to "polish" it and remove prints. polish is abrasive. oh and if the pads are clean and in good shape id still use em.

I found the screw size on a youtube video. I was going to try and find a non abrasive polish, but won't worry about it as long as it's relatively clean. Still need to get a soft toothbrush to clean the fins

2.5mm Allen wrench is called out in the instructions - I don't personally recall, but it's a pretty small.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/EK-IM/EK-IM-3831109831298.pdf

Found the size it is 2 and 2.5

Ketchup works wonders for gunk on nickel and copper. It's mildly acidic, so don't leave it on there long - I had good results coating, leaving it sit for about a minute, and then scrubbing with a toothbrush before rinsing it all off.

A distilled water rinse is kindof a hassle, but definitely worth it on plexi/glass/nickel, as water spots will show otherwise.

What kind of buildup should I expect after running blue pastel for 2 years ?

I've seen some ugly stuff, but don't know if the owner had different coolant prior

What kind of buildup should I expect after running blue pastel for 2 years ?

I've seen some ugly stuff, but don't know if the owner had different coolant prior
Depends on a bunch of factors, but it shouldn't be anything too tough to clean up, as it sounds like you're already committed to a proper teardown.

Back