A little while ago my computer started, randomly and fairly rarely, BSOD'ing. Didn't think much of it, and the BSODs stopped. Instead, though, now I get random freezes or "hangups" for 30-45 seconds such as, for example, when I try to do simple things like open Chrome. The freezes are becoming more common and the hangups are happening more and more regularly. I did do a fresh install of Win7 when the freezes/hangups were just starting, didn't change a thing.
My immediate reaction was a failing boot drive, considering that the drive is one of my oldest in my rig (4-5 years maybe). I tried to run an HDTune error scan on the boot drive a few times, but it causes the computer to freeze about 1/3 of the way through, finding a handful of bad sectors in that first 1/3.
I started a checkdisk before I left for work today and it found a couple dozen problems in the first part (unreadable file segments?, can't remember) before I walked out the door. I'll try to check it with CrystalDiskInfo when I get home.
All that said, sounds like a typical bad drive scenario, right?
I'm thinking of replacing it with an SSD. Recommendations?
My immediate reaction was a failing boot drive, considering that the drive is one of my oldest in my rig (4-5 years maybe). I tried to run an HDTune error scan on the boot drive a few times, but it causes the computer to freeze about 1/3 of the way through, finding a handful of bad sectors in that first 1/3.
I started a checkdisk before I left for work today and it found a couple dozen problems in the first part (unreadable file segments?, can't remember) before I walked out the door. I'll try to check it with CrystalDiskInfo when I get home.
All that said, sounds like a typical bad drive scenario, right?
I'm thinking of replacing it with an SSD. Recommendations?