Time Check - is it 2012? (2600k vs 3770k) cooling question

greyboxer

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone! first thread here and I am looking forward to this site's extreme expertise on some items. I am in a bit of a situation where I (over)spent on my graphics (1080ti was $680 on MassDrop) and monitor($599) in the sig rig. I had meant to save that money for coffee or even icy lake, but well, here I am. Using a 2500k from 6 years ago that has held 4.6ghz for the entire time.

PCs are getting to the point where more physical cores and also hyperthreading is essential, but I am using a dinosaur PC and am rather attached to my settings and the OS, so I dont wanna swap it all, plus see above about spending too much $ on my other components.

Which brings me to my shopping list: I am buying either a 2600k or a 3770k to drop into my Gen 3 LGA1155 motherboard and I use an equally ancient H50 cooling solution with fans in pushpull. I am concerned that my PC will not keep a 3770K cool enough to get a good overclock (4.6 or better) out of a decent 3770k because of how intel messed up the CPU die. Therefore, I am even considering a 2600K, given many of them will hit 5GHZ and I think I could cool a 2600k just as easily as my 2500k.

Would you guys say that in this current situation - would you try and cool a 3770k with an ancient H50, or play it safe with a cooler running 2600k if I am just dying to drop in a new processor to get that sweet hyperthreading. Thanks guys!

I'd go with 2600k. It's cheaper, cooler, and performance difference between the two is very small.

H50 will get a decent overclock on either. It won't be bleeding edge, but hey, for not spending any money it will do ok.

Get whichever is cheaper. Sandy and Ivy - the Ivy had a bit of an edge at stock clocks, but Sandy was a better OCer in general, and they were pretty much identical once you take an OC into account.

I'd be interested in hearing what benefit you get from just adding hyperthreading. I am not betting on a lot, but at 1440 I don't know - and would be interesting in hearing what you actually get out of it.

I'd be interested in hearing what benefit you get from just adding hyperthreading. I am not betting on a lot, but at 1440 I don't know - and would be interesting in hearing what you actually get out of it.

Awesome! yeah I save about $60 buying a 2600K and I wont be as stressed about the temperatures. I play some games that use a good bit of CPU (Witcher 3, Destiny 2) and I am really looking forward to seeing what, even clock for clock this will do. I have benchmarked both games so I have that to compare when I get the 2600! Thanks!

I would go with the 3770k as it is PCIe 3.0 instead of PCIe 2.0 like on the 2600k. If you dropped the money on the 1080Ti, I'd spend the extra on the 3770k.

I would go with the 3770k as it is PCIe 3.0 instead of PCIe 2.0 like on the 2600k. If you dropped the money on the 1080Ti, I'd spend the extra on the 3770k.
With a single card, does a GTX 1080Ti saturate the PCIe 2.0? Also, I was not aware that dropping a 3770k into my P8z68V-pro Gen3 automatically activated PCIe 3.0. Thats great info. Edit: Did some searching on the site, looks like ill get at least 95-99% of the performance of PCI-E 3.0, if not the full monty.

Last edited:
I have a 3770k on my mini-home server. I ended up getting a h100i for it.

Only runs hot when overclocked to 4.5. I guess the 3770k is hot chip to begin with. Depending on what you're doing with the chip, depends if you should get a 2600k vs a 3770k IMO. Gaming it wont matter much right now.

Maybe in the future 3770k will "slightly" futureproof you more, and as kirby said, runs full blown pci-e 3.0 mode. You personally wont notice much difference in gaming at high resolutions though. Only if you ran in 1080p would there be a noticeable difference.

Maybe in the future 3770k will "slightly" futureproof you more, and as kirby said, runs full blown pci-e 3.0 mode. You personally wont notice much difference in gaming at high resolutions though. Only if you ran in 1080p would there be a noticeable difference.

Yeah I just want this to get me through a year or two with the hyperthreading since I am noticing full CPU load in some games now, even at 1440p, and very low minimum frame rates feel like the game is sticking even when I have 60-90 average otherwise. Ive seen that others making a jump from a 2500k to 2600k noticed alot of smoothness improvements. At what load temp does 3770k start throttling?

Edit: thanks everyone for the help making the decision. While it looks like a 2600K is a solid purchase due to the low price and low temps/easy clocking to 5ghz, I found a BNIB 3770K for $150 shipped and I am going to go with this, given its only $35 more than most 2600Ks on the second hand market. Also, given the fact that H115i can be acquired for less than $100, if I find myself limited by my aged H50i, perhaps I can upgrade my cooling and future proof a little at the same time as well.

Last edited:
Back