Votes: 11 37.9%
  • 2) Use old 3 year old AS5

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • 3) Buy the latest and greatest new TIM out there

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters

MikeRotch

Limp Gawd
Please stay on topic, I don't want to read discussion on why I don't go air cooling, or how I should go custom liquid, or X AIO is better than my H110i (I got it for a REALLY good price). Just please respond to my question.

Ok, so I got myself a new Corsair H110i in anticipation for Ryzen.

I have an old 12g tube of Arctic Silver 5 that I last used on my 3770k, both are about 3 years ago.

So I've been reading that the TIM these days on AIOs are actually pretty decent. Is the stock TIM as good as my 3 year old AS5?

So my question is, which one of the 3 should I do?

1) Use stock TIM
2) Use old 3 year old AS5
3) Buy the latest and greatest new TIM out there (which I don't have a clue on what that would be)

I am not as [H] as I used to be due to a newborn and another young baby, just not time. In fact, the wife has already frowned upon my purchase and intention to upgrade. Hehe. In fact, I don't really even need to upgrade my 3770k since I hardly game anymore. But I haven't been this excited for a CPU launch since I got my core i7-920 and I really want to support AMD. Anyway, that is why I picked those 3 choices, as I can't spend TOO much time tinkering anymore. But I do intend to OC my 1600x with an MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon.

Thanks.

Those coolers come with a patch of Shin Etsu perfectly applied on the base of the CPU block. Just use that and you're good to go.

does the h110 have the mounting hardware for am4?

yes it does.

uses the retention clips.

go with the as5

I'm getting the same cooler, and I'm sure the pre-applied TIM will be fine.

However, if you are set on getting your own paste, check out the Arctic MX-4. That's what I've used on my last 2 builds and it works great. Better than Arctic Silver 5 (different company) and it's non-conductive, so you don't have to worry about damaging anything if you slip up.

Wow, it's pretty neck and neck so far. Hopefully more ppl can chime in and I'll check back tomorrow morning.

Since I still have a 5 year old tube of AS5 - Arctic Silver 5 all the way. :)

In a pinch I've used Max Strength Desitin (Diaper rash cream) before. It's still on my retired 4870 X2 actually.

I have a 5 year old tube of AS5 and a new tube of MX-4. But if I hadn't touched the stock TIM on the H110, I'd just use that. I've had pretty good luck with it. Save your TIM for when you swap the CPU out for the next latest and greatest.

Thanks folks. I will stick with stock TIM and hoping my AS5 will last another 3-4 years in the tube because that's probably when I will do my next upgrade.

And no, I don't think I'll use Diaper Rash Cream (even though I have LOTS of that ATM), or DIY graphite/anti-seize LOL.

I'll be doing the graphite/anti-seize TIM once I receive my graphite and anti-seize order. I'll post a thread once I get it going. I think AS5 will last for a looong time as long as it isn't being constantly exposed to air.

I vote for getting a tube of Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut.

- Thermal Grizzly is highly rated and reviewed: primarily for their regular TIM "Kryonaut"
- Conductonaut is their liquid metal TIM. It's amazingly cheap and having just tried another liquid metal product they seem to be easy to apply. The performance for me was great...

I think the price/performance or enthusiast fun factor is good with this one.

There are plenty of threads on the best thermal paste. Nothing has changed because of a new processor.

Your Arctic Silver is probably fine. Stock is fine. Buying something new is fine too. There's maybe a 5C difference between best and worst pastes. Just use something and call it a day.

Personally I vote for whatever doesn't involve talking to the wife about it. Seriously. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill. Or there will be no more baby making. Or practice.

I used to change the included TIMs in the AIO coolers I've used in the past but when I bought my NZXT Kraken X62, I wanted to try the pre-applied thermal paste. To my surprise, it did a pretty good job in cooling my i5-6600K 4.4GHz at 1.34 vcore. Temperatures never exceeded 56C in heavy loads.

I have tubes of MX4 and everytime i apply it, it impresses me (though whatever gunk down there was in bad condition) i voted for stock tim because i doubt you will see much difference when its new and perfectly applied.

Back