Tigerdirect barebones....?

gameradio

n00b
I was out looking around on Tigerdirect for a barebone setup, and i was mainly looking at the Core 2 setup, but wanted to try for the quad core just to see what was going on and i ran upon this...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3403908&body=REVIEWS

I trust the opinions from guys on here compared to the guys on TD website, so.. It seems like a hell of a deal, and i wouldn't have to upgrade for quite sometime right.. ? thanks for the help in advance guys...

Yah that is a good deal. An OEm Quad 6600 would be like $250 w/o the heatsink. So ...that would make that Mobo only $95.

Are they pretty good about the heatsinks and fans on those setups, or would you totally recomment buying an upgraded fan?

This bundle I think does not come with a heatsink/fan for the CPU as this is an OEM. OEM cpus normally don't come with a heatsink. The retail versions do.

Note that the bundle is for an OEM Q6600, meaning that it does not come with any HSF and only comes with a 90 day warranty, compared to a 3 year warranty for the retail version. So if you do go for that bundle, you will have to buy a HSF, which adds to the costs of course.

Would not recommend the bundle for three reasons: A) It's an OEM CPU with 90 day warranty, B) could be the B3 or G0 stepping, never know which one you're gonna get, and C) the 680i chipset doesn't do too well when overclocking quad-core CPUs

But if none of that doesn't matter to you, then by all means go for it. Just make sure you buy a HSF for that CPU and make sure your case is adequately cooled.

wow thanks danny, very nice write up man.. I haven't really upgraded in like a year and a half, just looking at what deals i could get, browing around, and see what is out there.. Ha this is just like a hunting game for prices, and which you can find for better.

Do you live near a Microcenter? If so, it seems that they're having a sale on the Q6600 for $200, in store only. Might be worth checking out.

Back