tiger direct... diamond reference 5870 pictured, non reference sent

FinalAura

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently bought a diamond 5870 from tigerdirect:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5271080&CatId=3669

I went with this model because it was the only reference design I could find, which from i've read, overclocks much better than non-reference design.

So I get my package in the mail a week later and end up with a non-ref card... Heres some pics.

opb5go.jpg

30ljekk.jpg

2vsrnrt.jpg

Any thoughts/suggestions on what I should do? Do they even make reference cards anymore?

Last edited:
Personally, I would return it. That's not the card you ordered, so ask them to send you the right one. The model number listed on Tiger's website is indeed the reference one (5870PE51G). According to the Diamond's website they are still available...if not at Tiger's, then try the Egg.

I like the design lol, if you paid for the reference but received an non-reference. I am assuming you saved like 10-20$ for it being a non-ref card?

I like the design lol, if you paid for the reference but received an non-reference. I am assuming you saved like 10-20$ for it being a non-ref card?

I don't think the newer reference cards have the volterra digital pwm so you cant overvolt via riva/afterburner and that limits your oc potential which is one of the nice things about the 5800's. The coolers may be better but the hardware inside the old cards is more oc friendly.

is the card its self non reference or is it just the cooler that is non reference? or dose the software not see the pwms needed to OC the way you like?

There's a TD rep here, usually in Hot Deals. Send him a PM he might be able to help you out.

Why not overclock it first to see how well it does? There's no guarantee a reference card will overclock better than that one. It's all luck of the draw. I would LOL if they sent you a reference card that doesn't overclock for jack.

Looks like the same cooler as the Powercolor PCS+.

Are the power connectors on the back or on top?

Try adjusting the voltage first and see how it does. The big bonus to using reference cards is the adjustable voltage - if your board has that feature, and has the better cooler, then you win really. Check MSI Afterburner and see if it unlocks the voltage control.

I had the same problem when I bought an XFX card. The model number specified a reference board, the online pics showed a reference board, but XFX quietly started shipping non-reference PCB's. My only option from NCIX was to either keep it, or pay a restocking fee since I had opened it (but not installed it). I've heard that Diamond was doing the same thing.:(

"Images shown may vary from actual product ! "

Mfrs do this all the time without changing model #'s If that's what they got, that's all they probably have

I have a Diamond ref 5870 and see no reason not to keep the card they sent you. It has heatpipes and larger fan so will run cool with the fan running at lower revolutions which is quieter. That's good and not bad.

Weird, I replied to this post already.

Anyways, it does not have the ability for voltage control in msi afterburner. It is a non-ref card because it doesnt show the AMD logo by the pci-e teeth.

I do like the card as it is REALLY quiet, its just I feel a little deceived because i won't get the OC potential that reference card owners have. It is factory oc'd by 25mhz however, on both the gpu and memory.

@Zoglog, you have a point as they probably don't have any reference design cards since they sent me this one...

@Farkle, the power connectors are on the side

I would've rather went with XFX for a non ref card and lifetime warranty though... if I knew I was going to get a non-ref card

Back