Threadripper 3 (3960X) & Win 7 work around?

Hi there, I'm new to the forum. I asked this question on another thread but thought it might be a good idea to start a new one.

I built a machine with a 3960X, the program we built the computer for needs windows 7, I installed windows 10 thinking that I could select windows 7 in compatibility mode under properties but this proved unsuccessful.

I am now trying to install W7, but after installing files I get an old school BSOD: "The bios in this system is not fully acpi compliant". Replacing the program with a newer version is not an option, as we would be looking at $60k... Any Suggestions are appreciated.

Should I maybe try removing W10 and try installing W7 from scratch?

What program is it? I'd suggest a VM like I did in the other thread, but knowing what hte program is will tell us if that's possible or not.

^^ winraid is a super legit forum, they always have some really good stuff on there. Shoutout to Fernando the cow!

Install Linux, install kvm, install windows on kvm. Map usb etc as needed. Lots of guides out there but holla if you need one and I’ll find a decent one. Will take 1-4 hours depending on Linux skills but damn site cheaper than that software (plus you can be a Hero)

You can use passthrough of drives (including nvme) or graphics card so windows just sees and interacts with them normally, just with an abstracted bios through the hypervisor

I feel your pain. We have a key system that the vendor will only support running on an MS Access Database

Win 7 is not supported nor will it ever be. You might want to think about using a VM.
Contrary to opinion of homemade-sofa-experts TR3 can run Windows 7x64 or even XP. Currently only x86 one with HT off (to archive <32 cores), x64 supports up to 64 cores, but gives BSOD for some reason, need further investigations.

Main thead, aim of which is to accumulated all compatible boards:
https://www.win-raid.com/t7775f52-Trx-TR-boards-compatible-with-Win-x.html

Contrary to opinion of homemade-sofa-experts TR3 can run Windows 7x64 or even XP. Currently only x86 one with HT off (to archive <32 cores), x64 supports up to 64 cores, but gives BSOD for some reason, need further investigations.

Main thead, aim of which is to accumulated all compatible boards:
https://www.win-raid.com/t7775f52-Trx-TR-boards-compatible-with-Win-x.html
Wow - we are out punching here today ! Too much cordial?
Probably not helpful!

OP Threadripper ,it might work or it might work out of the box but would you even entertain this in a commercial space with no support for the OS etc...and newer technologies since the inception of Win7

could you specify your system specs so others who may have traveled down this path with similar challenges can advise

I understand that OP is quoting $60k plus to upgrade their road block of a software which would be a good incentive to seek alternative solutions.

However this road block will only get bigger and the risk of driver failures etc... in old software, stop to production etc can be very costly.

I think there are different issues here that needs to be addressed before getting into whether TRX40 is the right platform but if the business needs to address its investment strategy and or if it can keep operating

good luck to the OP

Back