• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Thoughts...

mrmagoo_83

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 8, 2002
Messages
3,068
Well, bad news, this weekend I narrowed down an issue I have been having, just had to open the case and look at the fan on my 9500 Pro. It was only spinning at a few hundred rpms, if that. I had figured it was a video card issue since it only occured while playing games.

So here is the thing, do I just order a new HSF for the thing for like $30 (Artic Silencer), or do I try to order a new video card, like a 9600XT or something?

System:
AMD 1800+XP
9500 Pro
1GB PC3200
A7N8X-Dlx

I have around $500 I was saving to purchase an X2 system later, but since that wont happen right now, is there anything I can put together for under $500 that will be damn good, and upgradeable soon? Or anything you would suggest to do to the current system that would make it last for a little while longer without killing my bank roll? Oh and on a side note, I can possibly get a 3200+ Barton to fit this setup for free, so if thats helps any there ya go.
 
If you have $500 now, why not get a new mobo, processor and vid card. You should be able to upgrade that pretty easily with $500.
 
loll, thats what I am asking, is it wiser to take the $500 and attempt an upgrade, or wait.

And second what to get? I had been looking at all X2 stuff, and I do not know what is really out there for cheap.

I think I would need a new MB, Vid, CPU, HSF, and a PSU (as my current is a thermaltake 420w 20 pin). I have memory.

I figured:
Asus A8N-Premium, ~$160 (because I can just drop an X2 in this later)
other than that I am kind of at a loss. I was looking at an Enermax Noisetaker 600W, which I could probably pickup now ~$160. $320, and I still need a Vid card, and HSF, and CPU. :(
 
Ok I guess now the question is...


Buy new video card.
Upgrade whole system.

Ok if you say upgrade, help me out here, upgrade to what, and where?

Oh and will my Thermaltake 420W PSU power a new A8N SLI Platinum? The PSU is about 4 years old or so, so I wasn't sure if it would power them.

If it will I guess I just need a MB and Vid Card and CPU. Suggestions?
 
If you're happy with the way everything else is running now, you can just buy a used 9500Pro out of the forums for maybe $40-50. I think that would be your best bet. Then spend your "nest egg" when you're ready :D.
 
Looking at your current rig, I am going to assume that you are not a heavy gamer, or at least not playing newer releases like bf2. What do you do with your rig? Music, web surf, light gaming?

If you can get the 3200 get it, I think your mobo will support it, but too lazy to look it up. You will see a nice improvement and it's free! Then do as suggested and buy a used card from the FS/FT forums. You should be able to pick up something decent for under $100. ATI 9800 should be around $100 by now. Looks like 9600 series cards are about $50.

After that save until you can get the X2 stuff.
 
Well, I am sort of a gamer, just haven't had the money to upgrade. I play mostly America's Army, but really do wish to be able to play BF2 and HL2 and such.

I was looking at picking up maybe a 256MB 9600XT for around $100, and then just getting the 3200 and seeing if it works.

If I am not playing AA, I am usually just surfing or downloading :)
 
If your motherboard says version 1.04 on it then your mobo supports up to the Athlon XP 3200+(400 MHz FSB)(Model 10)(Barton) . :D

You can get it oem for $130 @ ZZF.
 
Well wife vetoed the $500 for now :) So I am ordering a 9600XT and some more RAM if I can slip that under the radar.
 
That card won't help much at all. The 256 is nice but the 9500pro is usually better otherwise. Hope you didnt order yet man. Really try to sneak in a 6800nu or something. Maybe she won't veto that. Not trying to encourage you just to spend more but you should be happy afterwards. Hold off on ram.
 
No I have not ordered, yet, I keep getting pulled away. You really think its a waste to spend $100 on a 9600XT? I should look for a 6600 or something, or like an X800 or something.

Thanks for the move mod, didn't realize it had been moved here :)


So i should be looking for a 6800?
 
I have changed my mind, I am going to go ahead and order the 9600XT, it should show similar and maybe slight improvements over my 9500 Pro. I am not ordering it looking for performance increase, I am ordering it to get me by until I can save some cash and build my X2 system. So its either spend $200-$300 dollars now on an AGP card that will be useless when I got to build my new rig, and then lose a few hundred trying to resell it later. Or spend $100 on this card that will stay with this system, which will become my file server or my wife's computer when I build the new one.

Doesn't that sound like the wisest idea?



ZZF has a 9800Pro for like $185, or a X800SE for the same price. Would either of these be 'better'?
 
I would say to spend little as possible to get your rig up and running again and save the money for future upgrades
 
mrmagoo_83 said:
I have changed my mind, I am going to go ahead and order the 9600XT, it should show similar and maybe slight improvements over my 9500 Pro. I am not ordering it looking for performance increase, I am ordering it to get me by until I can save some cash and build my X2 system. So its either spend $200-$300 dollars now on an AGP card that will be useless when I got to build my new rig, and then lose a few hundred trying to resell it later. Or spend $100 on this card that will stay with this system, which will become my file server or my wife's computer when I build the new one.

Doesn't that sound like the wisest idea?



ZZF has a 9800Pro for like $185, or a X800SE for the same price. Would either of these be 'better'?

9800's can be had in the forums for 80 to a 100. If you would even consider spending that coin, well, that's more than a 680nu the 180 figure. I'll have to reread your post. Your comp is actually down? nvm... I see it now. Is your fan just busted or what? I'd replace it.
 
Agree ... I'd try to fix the fan 1st too.

If you want to spend money on a new video card the 6800nu would be a great choice.
I have a similar system as you mrmagoo_83 & I have not regretted buying mine.
They can be had for around $150 now. Even if you can't unlock the disabled pipelines
successfully it's still a great card.
 
Yes, the extra pipelines makes a huge difference. Bandwidth is king! :)

Plus with the 6800 you have the chance at unlocking the disabled pipelines.

9600XT = 4 rendering pipelines
9800pro = 8 pipelines

stock 6800nu = 12 pipelines
unlocked 6800nu = 16 pipelines

Not all 6800 will unlock the disabled pipelines successfully mind you, but at the price it's
worth a shot. It's easy enough to try using RivaTuner.
 
Yeah, I just think the 9500 with it's clear gpu advantage, might spoil your new purchase. I was neglecting that it was actually broken. Artic silencer and maybe if you can get that barton cheap/free would be nice. If you really really want to pinch pennies and the fan swap put doesnt sound appealing, I picked out a 9700 pro from the forums for $60 and saw one the other day for 65 with a silencer.

edit: Alright so we cross posted, yeah thats a nice card.
 
I thought about just swapping out the HSF with a Silencer; however, my main concern was that I spend that $30 on the Silencer, wait a few days for it to come in, put it on, and no change, or I fubar something during the installation. Then I am not only out the video card, but out the PC until I can order another card, and then wait. And currently I am taking online corses for school so I must have the PC. I cannot do what I need to do from work, which sucks. That is mostly why i was leaning towards a new vid card. I mean the 9500Pro is like 4 years old. I bought it when they first came out, whenever that was. So its been a good card, most people I talk to say they usually don't last that long.

I dont know. I hate spending money when I really do not need to...but at the same time, I have not added anything to my pc in a long time, other than HDD space. Damn decisions, I hate them.
 
I know where you are coming from mrmagoo_83.

Upgraded from an aged 9500np to the 6800nu myself. Even before the unlock it was a huge improvement.

I made it a point to get the certain 9500np that had a good chance at unlocking to a 9700.
But alas, my poor luck prevailed. Fortunately that didn't transfer to the 6800.
 
Well after discussing with my wife on lunch, I had to have someone else's opinion. She is actually the money spender, I am the money saver. We agreed that it makes more sense to attempt to purchase the new card, and that combined with the new CPU may tide me over for a while before 'having' to upgrade. And then when I do upgrade I can sell this new card. And I can also attempt to sell this 9500Pro to someone who has the time, and the means to replace the HSF. Does that make any sense?
 
I just found the whole Rivatuner unlocking thread thing, and after looking at the default pipes and all, it looks like its worth a shot.


Thanks for all your help, its greatly appreciated. If anyone is in need of a 9500Pro with a dying (not dead yet) fan, let me know, probably sell it for like $50-$60. I think they still retail for around $100.
 
Back
Top