Thoughts on this PC?

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
So I'm looking to buy a PC for some casual gaming and want to hook it up to my 60" TV in the basement.

Here are the specs:

Asus ROG STRIX rx 570 4gb
AMD fx-8300
16gb DDR3
Asus Sabertooth 990fx motherboard
500gb SSD
corsair Cx 430 w PSU

A local guy is selling it for $450. What are your thoughts?

I already have a much better gaming PC in my office but can't run any cables into the basement based on where the office and basement are located.

I have steam link but have to use wifi as there is no way to run a cable downthere and to be honest it's a huge hassle getting it to work, it's not consistent.

What's the best GPU I could get for above PC that won't be bottlenecked by the CPU? My TV tops out at 1080P 60Hz so I don't plan on running higher resolution of frame rates.

As far as games, I'll probably just play games that use a controller, so Skyrim, Witcher 3, etc. Maybe the new Cyberpunk 2077 game.

Anything in the RX570/580 range is already slightly bottle necked by the FX 8300. In my opinion you have the best performance tier GPU already in that machine. As for price that Sabertooth board is one of the best in that series and still goes for decent money however I would not want to pay more than like 300 or so for a system on that platform either. In fact I would not invest in FX at all at this point unless its dirt cheap.

When you guys says dirt cheap, how much are we talking about? Like $250?

I have a 6 year old daughter so I figured I could get older games from Steam to play with her. I'm talking games like Shenmue, Castle of Illusion, Ghostbusters, Sonic Generations and all star racing, just casual games.

That system is plenty for those types of games as is. It will work great for her to start out. See if the seller will take less and roll with it. Maybe top out at 350. If you value your time and this machine is ready to go that means something too.

Reactions: Hulk
like this
Seems overpriced to me, none of the parts listed arent particularly special, the board may be a high end variant for the era, but thats one of the least important parts to "splurge" on when price/performance is the main goal. FX series CPU's were underperformers when they were new (I used my 1090T for gaming even with an 8350 right next to it), and in modern times it doesnt make sense to spend money on that platform, you would be better off building an LGA1366 xeon build for half the price, X5670's are pretty cheap.

This is not a good deal.

For $200 over on eBay you can get an Optiplex tower PC with an i5-6500, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD and a Win10 license. Tack on an additional $100-120 for a used RX480/580 and you'd have a system that would spank the pants off the system you're looking at and save you cash to boot.

There are probably even better deals to be found, that's just what I found in five minutes.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's not a good deal at that asking price. Even with that Vishera core, that FX 8350 is no faster overall than a Sandy Bridge i5, which in turn is slower than even the slowest Skylake i5. This goes to show you that more threads are not better than fewer threads, especially when you're comparing two different CPU architectures. It's a shame that people got sucked into this claim.

Plus, that FX-8350 sucks up (relatively speaking) a lot of power, to the point where that CX 430 PSU is starting to become strained, not just by its quality (which was just mediocre even when it was new), but also by its age. And if you have to spend an additional $100 for a new PSU just to right that system, then fuhgeddaboudit!!

Last edited:
What's the best GPU I could get for above PC that won't be bottlenecked by the CPU?
Depends on the games, and bottlenecking isn't always an on-off switch. I don't think I'd reccomend too much faster of a GPU, but I know a family member who plays on a GTX 1070 at 2K, and it's relatvely balanced for most games.

Back