Thoughts on rumored 2060

Brent_Justice

Keep in mind, rumored specs, I don't know for sure if these are accurate, but it sounds likely.

RTX 2060/30 RT Cores/240 Tensor Cores - $399 RUMORED price

Basically a 1070 with some RT/Tensor cores and less memory

We already discovered in our BFV NVIDIA Ray Tracing article that the 2070 cannot achieve very playable performance at 1080p in the game. What's the hope of the 2060 then, if true?

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/12/17/battlefield_v_nvidia_ray_tracing_rtx_2070_performance/

It is also interesting about DLSS because you have to run at 4K for DLSS to work, I'd be iffy on the 2060 playing well at 4K just to run DLSS, IMO

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Maybe the 2070/2060 will have playable frame rates with driver maturity? Have you guys re-tested the 2070 with the recent drivers that were said to give BFV an increase in performance?

This card shouldn't exist.

Conversely, I just bought a 1060 6GB refurb for ~$140 shipped. $399 for a 2060, even if it performs on par with a 1070, is insanity.

I'm not sure why the 2070 even exists as it is, just disable RTX, and make RTX only for 2080ti/2080 , leave teh 2060 and 2070 as GTX cards and push the speeds :)

This card shouldn't exist.

Conversely, I just bought a 1060 6GB refurb for ~$140 shipped. $399 for a 2060, even if it performs on par with a 1070, is insanity.
After seeing the 2070 results that Hardocp has produced, I feel the 2060 would be a waste, unless the 1000 series has dried up and you need a cheap upgrade. Though nothing with the 2000 series has been priced appropriately. I assume Sli is discontinued in the X60 series? Not that Sli is as popular anymore.

I thought RTX was only for 2070 and above.. and that 2060 and below would be just GTX series GPUs

Maybe the 2070/2060 will have playable frame rates with driver maturity? Have you guys re-tested the 2070 with the recent drivers that were said to give BFV an increase in performance?

I went and looked:

upload_2018-12-19_18-36-31.png

From the graph, it actually looks pretty good for a card that is as fast as a GTX1080 with RTX off:

15449785070ikskvadx6_4_2.png

Still annoyed that DICE hasn't gotten DX12 up to speed yet. I'm going to assume that they're just not.

Last time I'm gonna say it, but I'm super glad I bought my 980 Ti for $220 a couple months back....

$400 for what should be the "mainstream" card is completely ridiculous.

I was running a pair of 970's purchased before the 980Ti was 'a thing'; if I'd known about the 980Ti, I'd have grabbed one and I'd still be running it.

They're having to do this because it would totally fuck up their pricing and product placement if they didn't.

Or they're hoping they can scam enough people not in the know to over pay for a card that won't perform.

I'm not sure why the 2070 even exists as it is, just disable RTX, and make RTX only for 2080ti/2080 , leave teh 2060 and 2070 as GTX cards and push the speeds :)

Market penetration. According to nVidia the 1080 was the most popular card last gen. So the $500 price point is basically mainstream.

Just looked Steam shows the 1060. So maybe the $300-500 range if you take nVidia and Steam into account? I know steam has admitted to their numbers being wrong and nVidia is nVidia.

We also only have one datapoint for RT performance and DLSS (and no DLSS2x). Which imo is pretty pathetic after half a year given how they pitched it. Especially DLSS they made sound easy taking the dev only a few days to implement.

So if these techs worked the $500 2070 would actually be good value. It’s production costs are similar to a 1080ti.

But in the end nVidia wants these techs widely adopted and them being the only show in town (or optimized for) because they are a business.

The 2060 with RT enabled is a stretch. There could be games in the future that aren’t as demanding as BFV but right now it’s going to be absolutely useless.

Last edited:
But in the end nVidia wants these techs widely adopted and them being the only show in town (or optimized for) because they are a business.

The 2060 with RT enabled is a stretch. There could be games in the future that aren’t as demanding as BFV but right now it’s going to be absolutely useless.

And that's really the long and short of it.

Now, I do expect more varied DXR (and perhaps RTX and DLSS) implementations to arise that would make these features useful on a hypothetical RTX2060, it's really just going to be the 'new' GTX1070 at release.

Perhaps part of the draw might be Blizzard-grade graphics in eSports-level games utilizing RT to some degree or DLSS to make the games more accessible that would change the value perspective, but for now I agree that we just don't know.

Any new hardware features such as new shader model, tesselation, ray tracing, etc. need support from developers and there won't be good support if only fastest most expensive cards have these features.

Ray-tracing is fully programmable and can be used do lots of things. Some effects this tech enable could be implemented in a way

Thing NV screwed up is marketing. We cannot even download tech demos they showed.
What they should have done is push game devs to implemnt rudimentary ray-tracing in to games, very subtle effects available at Ultra settings on all cards, then when RTX come out these games would show massive performance increase with new cards. What they did was opposite, and especially unpatched BFV RTX support should not even come out at all as it made bad press for whole DXR tech... :(

Back