Thoughts on first gen E5-2670

Where are you finding retail 2687ws for 250? I'll buy two ASAP

Even at 350 I'd buy. I'm only seeing 350 a pop for ES chips.

can you post a link or two for them? if i got a 2687w i wouldn't OC it because the TDP would be high as it is.

To be honest guys it just doesn't make any sense to buy a 2687W for more than $100 when the 2670 can be had for $50, its not like you are getting 100% more performance. The only reason the prices are where they are is because of supply. The 2687W cpus will never be cheap because they didn't make that many of them in comparison to the others, the wattage they use and heat they put out are too high for most server boards and racks to handle. You would be better off waiting for the price on the 2690 to come down, that processor at least exists in large numbers in server farms and will eventually drop in price when retired.

Or you can go with 2670 right now for a pittance, and wait for the v2 cpus to drop in a year or two and upgrade to those. And when you do you'll still have cheap CPUs you can test with or fall back on in a pinch.

Does anyone have benchmarks of overclocked 4p Opteron setups?

I actually have a 4p Opteron setup for sale and Im semi on the fence if I should sell it.. I swapped to a lower power 2P setup as this thing runs 24/7.

I did have 4 63xx opterons at 3Ghz but it used way too much power. Here's to hoping the 2690 v1s fall in price

128GB of ram, highly over-volted opterons, I was > 1k at the wall

I'm about to pull the pin on Intel S2600CP2J from Natex, 2 x 2670 cpu's and 128gb RAM. Trying to find something around that has SSI EEB support is fairing pretty hard. Will be ESXi server, sits on the floor in the home theatre room, so trying to keep it as quiet as possible. Short lists of part ideas so far, any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated;

Cases:
Fractal Define XL (seems to fit, missing a couple of standoffs) - $179 @ PCCG
Phanteks Enthoo Pro (cheaper, full ssi eeb support, open air on front with a fan, so worried about noise) - $139 @ PCCG
Phanteks Enthoo Primo Ultimate (looks awesome, full sse eep support, 5 included fans, expensive) - $309 @PCCG

PSU:
EVGA GQ 750w (modular, gold efficiency, 'quality' components, 2 x ETS connectors for power) - $149 @ PCCG
Silverstone Strider Gold S 750w (modular, gold efficiency, 'quality' components, 2 x ETS connectors for power) - $136 @ Scorptec

CPU Cooling:
Be Quiet! Pure Rock CPU Cooler (cheap, quietish) - $49/each @ PCCG
Cryorig H5 Ultimate CPU Cooler (more exy, quieter, better cooling possible RAM clearance issues???) - $69/each @ PCCG
Cryorig H5 Universal CPU Cooler (more exy, quieter, average cooling, small form factor ie. should clear ram) - $69/each @ PCCG

I also grab one of the LSI SAS 9211-8i cards from Natex. Will use to pass the cards (and all 'data' disks) through to a VM for file server use
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif

Also running ESXi 6.0U2 on a S2600CP with a Radeon 7870 passed through, works great!

Ohhhhh very interested in this, had a go with a few different setup on ESXi 5.5 and always had some niggly problems with the setup. Would LOVE to integrate my HTPC into a VM again.
Do you get any issues with the passthrough?
I assume you're using as a gaming VM or something?

I bought two of those boards from Natex, they work great, bought four e5-2670 and ram from ebay.

These are the CPU heatsinks and fans I used, and they work great. 17$ each Why pay more if you do not have to.
RAIJINTEK AIDOS, 4 6mm Heat-Pipe, 92mm PWM Fan, Compact Size CPU Cooler, Multiple Mounting Kits For Intel & AMD-Newegg.com

Ah cheers, good to hear some feedback.

I forgot to mention I'm in Melbourne Australia. So $17 USD on newegg quickly turns into ~$80 AUD here once you currency convert and ship it.

Prices I mentioned were from PC Case Gear and Scorpion Technology. Two local 'premium' computer retailers.

for PSU, go with evga 750 or 850 B2. if you don't care about no warranty look around for Lenovo d30 psu 1100w gold plus for less than 50usd. I have a dual e5-2670 from natex too. works great. I also got a Lenovo d30 with same cpus. one of the few 2011 server MB that support s3 sleep correctly with the latest bios update (although unfortunately it does use 17w at sleep) as well as working perfectly with win10

phantek entho pro is actually quite quiet. those large fans don't make too much noise.

already started a funding for dual 2011 v3 :) I am looking at e5-2686 v3 as that seems to have the most compute power for somewhat reasonable price. other good ones are 2673 and 2683

Last edited:
Yep. I'm going with the EVGA GQ 750w so I have some wattage up my sleeve just in case. Also going to grab the Fractal Define XL R2 case. Always loved these things, super solid and super quiet. Minor mods for adding a couple of standoffs. Looks like jaycar sells some M3x10mm female-female standoffs that I'll use to not 'screw' into the case, but sit under the motherboard to provide some support and stop flexing.

Still working out if I can get the Cryorig H5 Ultimate coolers to fit. Motherboard, cpu's, and RAM gets here Friday. Found this really nice little Cryorig page that has a paper template so I can test sizing and clearance of ram (TOP IDEA!!).
http://www.cryorig.com/images/tester/h5-ultimate/h5-ultimate_socket_2011.pdf

Ah cheers, good to hear some feedback.

I forgot to mention I'm in Melbourne Australia. So $17 USD on newegg quickly turns into ~$80 AUD here once you currency convert and ship it.

Prices I mentioned were from PC Case Gear and Scorpion Technology. Two local 'premium' computer retailers.

Melbourne represent, I'm from there as well!

I'm running 3 of these 2670s and have a very similar setup in a Fractal XL with the Natex offering, which I'm using for my home ESX lab. I've found the be quiet coolers to be great and have put them in some other builds now too. Unfortunately (and I"m ashamed to admit it) I didn't end up worrying too much about the support of the board, so will be interested to see what you do regarding female/female standoffs.

Just out of interest, is anyone using the 2670 in their main system? I've got another 2670/x79 setup which duties are mostly running NappIt (VM under ESX) which I'm contemplating swapping out with my current system (X58/5650 combo) as the X79 board is better at the expense of a non-overclockable chip (my 5650 sits at 4gh comfortably). I haven't bothered swapping them so far as I think the performance will be negligible, and am hoping for a decent upgrade when Skylake-E or Zen hit.

Melbourne represent, I'm from there as well!

I'm running 3 of these 2670s and have a very similar setup in a Fractal XL with the Natex offering, which I'm using for my home ESX lab. I've found the be quiet coolers to be great and have put them in some other builds now too. Unfortunately (and I"m ashamed to admit it) I didn't end up worrying too much about the support of the board, so will be interested to see what you do regarding female/female standoffs.

Just out of interest, is anyone using the 2670 in their main system? I've got another 2670/x79 setup which duties are mostly running NappIt (VM under ESX) which I'm contemplating swapping out with my current system (X58/5650 combo) as the X79 board is better at the expense of a non-overclockable chip (my 5650 sits at 4gh comfortably). I haven't bothered swapping them so far as I think the performance will be negligible, and am hoping for a decent upgrade when Skylake-E or Zen hit.

Haha, yep. I'm over in the south east burbs.

What made you go NappIt over something like openfiler, freenas, xpenology, unraid, etc?

I'm trying to work out what to do with my storage at the moment. I currently just have created ~2tb vmdk's on my 2 and 4tb disks, pass them to Windows 2012 VM. Running a storage pool JBOD and share the data out. It's just tv/movies. Nothing critical so I'm not toooooo fussed on reliability. Got a basic LSI 9211-8i card coming now. Was thinking of passing the whole card through to a VM and running all my storage disks off that. Maybe into something like freenas or the like as mentioned (or maybe just Windows 2016 if I'm being lazy).

Haha, yep. I'm over in the south east burbs.

What made you go NappIt over something like openfiler, freenas, xpenology, unraid, etc?

I'm trying to work out what to do with my storage at the moment. I currently just have created ~2tb vmdk's on my 2 and 4tb disks, pass them to Windows 2012 VM. Running a storage pool JBOD and share the data out. It's just tv/movies. Nothing critical so I'm not toooooo fussed on reliability. Got a basic LSI 9211-8i card coming now. Was thinking of passing the whole card through to a VM and running all my storage disks off that. Maybe into something like freenas or the like as mentioned (or maybe just Windows 2016 if I'm being lazy).
Historical reasons mainly. I had been running nappit with a raid card presented through to nappit via IOMMU up until about 3 months ago (originally I wanted ZFS served out of a VM). That system was pretty limited RAM wise and obviously I couldn't cluster it with my new Intel system (Natex dual proc build), so I ditched it and migrated the services over to X79 which went okay. However, it's not good as a Vmware NFS target but CIFS is great, so that's what its using at the moment. I'm in the process of building a completely stand alone storage system (likely to use Freenas, but that could change) and once I've moved the data off I might see what's out there.

I'm about to pull the pin on Intel S2600CP2J from Natex, 2 x 2670 cpu's and 128gb RAM. Trying to find something around that has SSI EEB support is fairing pretty hard. Will be ESXi server, sits on the floor in the home theatre room, so trying to keep it as quiet as possible. Short lists of part ideas so far, any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated;

Cases:
Fractal Define XL (seems to fit, missing a couple of standoffs) - $179 @ PCCG
Phanteks Enthoo Pro (cheaper, full ssi eeb support, open air on front with a fan, so worried about noise) - $139 @ PCCG
Phanteks Enthoo Primo Ultimate (looks awesome, full sse eep support, 5 included fans, expensive) - $309 @PCCG

PSU:
EVGA GQ 750w (modular, gold efficiency, 'quality' components, 2 x ETS connectors for power) - $149 @ PCCG
Silverstone Strider Gold S 750w (modular, gold efficiency, 'quality' components, 2 x ETS connectors for power) - $136 @ Scorptec

CPU Cooling:
Be Quiet! Pure Rock CPU Cooler (cheap, quietish) - $49/each @ PCCG
Cryorig H5 Ultimate CPU Cooler (more exy, quieter, better cooling possible RAM clearance issues???) - $69/each @ PCCG
Cryorig H5 Universal CPU Cooler (more exy, quieter, average cooling, small form factor ie. should clear ram) - $69/each @ PCCG

I also grab one of the LSI SAS 9211-8i cards from Natex. Will use to pass the cards (and all 'data' disks) through to a VM for file server use
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif

Ohhhhh very interested in this, had a go with a few different setup on ESXi 5.5 and always had some niggly problems with the setup. Would LOVE to integrate my HTPC into a VM again.
Do you get any issues with the passthrough?
I assume you're using as a gaming VM or something?

Yes, I use it as a standard desktop and games also work great! One limitation I've found is that only one PCIe GPU can really be passed through in ESXi. If you have more than one, ESXi will refuse to boot the VMs. All potential workarounds I've found cause the board to not boot ESXi at all. This seems to be a limitation with the Intel board and ESXi.

Still works great so far, but make sure your RAM is compatible. Learned that lesson the hard way, but at least I had other RAM available that it worked fine with.

Personally I was faced with the same dilemma about 6 months ago when I built my current rig, I ultimately decided to go X99 purely because I didn't have a X79 board on hand.
When I was looking for boards people were jacking up the prices to the point where going X99 was only slightly more expensive.
Grabbed a E5-2690 V3 for 295USD and the rest is history.
If you have a suitable board and it supports the chip then I'd go for it, but if not you may choose to go the same route I did.

Pish posh, I bought my whole shit for less then your CPU. Lenovo S30 Mobo, E5-2680 and 32gb of ram, 250 bucks.

Pish posh, I bought my whole shit for less then your CPU. Lenovo S30 Mobo, E5-2680 and 32gb of ram, 250 bucks.

I was close....except I went for the E5-2690 (only live once):

$140 for the E5-2690 after ebay bucks
$155 shipped for the S30 (came with Evo 840 ssd)
$53 for 128G ram (32*4 DDR3L 1866, runs at 1333mhz).

I didn't expect to win the ram, but well...there ya go. I still have 4 ram slots free. Trying to decide if I should make a "Gaming" vm with say, 4 cores and passing through a gtx 670 to either win7 or linux.

Anyone know if using a CoA attached to a machine in a vm on that machine instead of the host is legal? If so I may give it a shot. If not, I'll use Linux for the vm.

So does anyone think with Intel releasing the v6 xeon's that v3/v4 may drop in price, i am very close to buying a dual 2011 kit from Natex but would hate to find out in a month v3/v4 prices plummit...

Last edited:
No way to tell. There are good deals on some ES V4 chips now.

QK3G E5-2630 V4 apparently has production stepping.

Back