This RAID solution sound solid?

Max-Powers

Gawd
I have 5x 1.5 TB Seagate drives in my Rosewill RSV 5. Capable of RAID 0, 1, 5, and 0+1
Most of my space is taken up with music, movies, and videos that I don't care to much about loosing. I backup on old external's like every other month.
I do have some things like pictures and files and other things that I do not want to loose, need current copies, and dont want to rely on 4 year old external drives.
My plan is to do RAID 1 with 2 drives. So 1.5 TB of secure space for my important files.
And then I will do RAID 0 with 3 drives. 4.5 TB of ify space for my media storage.
Do you think this is a solid solution, or would RAID 5 be better?

I would never raid0 4.5 TB of anything. If one drive fails you can lose up to 4.5TB.

If you raid5 all 5 drives you will get 5.588TB after shrinkage. As compared to 5.588TB if you raid1 two drives, and raid0 3 drives.

You gotta love how that math works out. Raid5 them, for the love of logic.

I only use RAID0 basically because of speed benefit. It's not like you corrupt your HDD everytime.

With RAID5, the performance will be slow because the rosewill RSV 5 uses software raid.

With RAID5, the performance will be slow because the rosewill RSV 5 uses software raid.

Its should still have fast enough read/write, for streaming HD video, its not like hes hosting databases. Test it, if its too slow then don't use it. 50MB/s r/w is more then enough.

Its should still have fast enough read/write, for streaming HD video, its not like hes hosting databases. Test it, if its too slow then don't use it. 50MB/s r/w is more then enough.

well, base on my experience, it may have 50MB/sec read but the write will be at most 10MB/sec

Software raid is not bad (it can approach raid 0 speed for n-1 disks) if you have a modern processor and the software raid uses a cache that keeps blocks around for a few seconds. Without a cache you get bad performance because a lot of writes will need to read the block first.

I went with a rebuild priority of 6.
and 5x 1.5 TB drives gave me 5.45 TB

Last edited:
Back