This Is Your Brain On 3D

HardOCP News

[H] News
A group of neuroscientist at Massachusetts General Hospital have developed new imaging technologies that reveals the actual architecture of the brain in 3D.

Diffusion spectrum imaging (DSI) is one of these twists. It uses magnetic resonance signals to track the movement of water molecules in the brain: water diffuses along the length of neural wires, called axons. Scientists can use these diffusion measurements to map the wires, creating a detailed blueprint of the brain's connectivity.

Let's hope this will help us understand things better and help to cure a disease or two.

Let's hope this will help us understand things better and help to cure a disease or two.

better yet a better understanding of how the brain works so we can move forward with mind uploading why cure a disease or two when you can take the whole biological body out of the equation

that's cool and all, but the graphics seemed out dated. lol :p

on a more serious note, that's really cool!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singularity_Is_Near

According to this book by Raymond Kurzweil, mind uploading would become possible in the 2030s.

I think Ray is a bit woo-woo. He seems desparate to seek imortality. IMHO, of course.

But hey, if he's right then that would be cool.

I do think that technology like this is the first thing needed to enable such a transfer. But that begs the question: once you upload to your new digital brain, what becomes of the you left behind in the meat-sack? Does the digital you have the same rights as meat-sack you?

The first thing I wondered about when seeing this: "How much closer does this put us to turning our brains into superconducters?" That would be sweet. If that were true, I would be able to pwn some Counterstrike. No more slow reaction times. ≈10ns for me to see a target and then click my mouse button means I could win the CPL 1 vs 5 against the top teams in the world :) With no tactics to boot. lol.

The first thing I wondered about when seeing this: "How much closer does this put us to turning our brains into superconducters?"

Um, superconducters? I'm pretty sure that would not be cool at all. I mean, probably cold, but certainly not cool.

I think Ray is a bit woo-woo. He seems desparate to seek imortality. IMHO, of course.

I do think that technology like this is the first thing needed to enable such a transfer. But that begs the question: once you upload to your new digital brain, what becomes of the you left behind in the meat-sack? Does the digital you have the same rights as meat-sack you?

I find your discribing of our natural body extreamly offensive. Meat-sack? If that's what you want to call it, I find you have very little regard for Human Life.

Is that a mapping of the brain or a clown's wig?:p

This is fricken sweet.

I find your discribing of our natural body extreamly offensive. Meat-sack? If that's what you want to call it, I find you have very little regard for Human Life.
Lighten up. After all, I would say there are plenty of people on this planet that only qualify to be called a "meat sack," and not a human being. Most of them reside in the prison system though.

-----------------------

IMHO, the human body is an amazing thing. But I cannot wait for the day that technology like this allows us to synchronize with machines. Imagine having cyber implants...it would be the tech equivalent of adding a co-processor...

"Ghost in the Shell" always comes to my mind when I start thinking about these things...

Why would you want to get rid of the human body? Doesn't seem right. There are people that do believe in live extension, but guess what. It's not gonna be for you or me. Only for the filthy rich and they can keep it.

Hm...diffusion tensor imaging has been around for a while though, so it's odd that tech review would post an article making it seem like something new. Oh wait, it says "published by MIT" :p

Either way, yes we neuroscientists are picking your brains apart ever so slowly :D

you know he has been right about 90% of the time since the 80s

Human body 1.0 is flawed it needs to be replaced

Human body 1.0 is flawed it needs to be replaced

QFT. I self-identify as a sentient program resident in organic hardware with a limited lifespan. The sooner I can copy myself to something more robust, the better. It is a pity more people don't pursue the concept of actual immortality, instead choosing to embrace the false promises of religion. I am under no illusions as to what will happen to me when this body expires, and it doesn't involve anything other than oblivion unless I've made alternative provisions.

As goofy as it looks it brings them one step closer to understanding what happens in there.

Back