This is Why We Can't Have Nice Games

Thank you, my thoughts exactly. Also, if you are anything like me, you do not turn on your computer, your 360 and then sit there comparing them side by side. You enjoy the platform you are playing on for what it is, not what it is not.

Well, if you have XBox Gold, you have been missing out on all the free games every month.

I haven't had Gold in a couple of years since I didn't use the machine much.
I don' t seem to play games on the PC that much anymore as well, don't know why, just lack the desire to play. Played the new Hitman for 15 minutes, the new Dying Light DLC for about the same, probably played Far Cry 4 for 30 minutes.

I don' t seem to play games on the PC that much anymore as well, don't know why, just lack the desire to play. Played the new Hitman for 15 minutes, the new Dying Light DLC for about the same, probably played Far Cry 4 for 30 minutes.
Probably just need to branch away from the design-by-committee standard-formula AAA games.

Sounds like to me you are getting super old.

Just think, an entire decade's worth of used consoles to get cheaply for older games/exclusives!

...is what I would think if the failure rate and build quality overall were not abysmal. I'd be nervous to buy a 360 that I could not inspect and test extensively (basically borrow) beforehand.

Just think, an entire decade's worth of used consoles to get cheaply for older games/exclusives!

...is what I would think if the failure rate and build quality overall were not abysmal. I'd be nervous to buy a 360 that I could not inspect and test extensively (basically borrow) beforehand.

Really? Although I can understand what you might mean, the slim and e models did not have any issues that I am aware of.

Just avoid the white original models (easy to identify because they have no built in WIFI). They fixed the problem with their newer models.

It's discontinued because they're not selling well anymore, and that's it. They'd keep selling them forever if people were buying them.

What??????? What is wrong with a good console with a ton of good games for a cheap price?
Because it's time to make a new game machine that's incompatible with all the previous ones, so you have to buy your games all over again. Planned obsolescence has always been a microsoft policy, even to the point of crippling their own older products that still work fine in order to get you to purchase a new version of basically the same thing. It's the prime reason they suck.

I use my 360 to play my HD-DVD's and play Rockband, but I haven't powered it up in over a year now,

HD-DVD? What's that? LOL

I had a 360 with the HD-DVD add-on but traded it to a friend for his PS3. Win-win for me. :)

The problem isn't the consoles themselves. After all, you don't buy a console if you are concerned with the latest and greatest graphics and technology. The problem is the devs who design for console first then do crappy PC ports. Games should first be made as great as they can be to run on the PC, then dumbed down for the consoles.
Yeah it's just not cost effective in many cases looking at sales on pc vs console

Despite its RROD issues, I'd rank the XBox 360 as one of my most enjoyed and played consoles of all time, up there with the Playstation 2, N64 and Super Nintendo. And it isn't like PC architecture is particularly springing to new heights these days. My i5-2500k still is delivering nice smooth framerates in the Division on Ultra.

I am with Kyle on this one, xbox 360 was a poorly designed and built console which had great games.

If you are on [H] and you think the Xbox 360 graphics still "look good", you should get permabanned. Consoles have been the bane of the gaming industry with all of the shitty ports being spewed out, with graphics that struggle to achieve 30fps @ 720p.

If you are on [H] and you think the Xbox 360 graphics still "look good", you should get permabanned. Consoles have been the bane of the gaming industry with all of the shitty ports being spewed out, with graphics that struggle to achieve 30fps @ 720p.

If anything it's "with consoles that struggle to achieve 30fps @ 720p"

There's no reason for developers not to allow for higher IQ on PC, they just don't do it. Consoles aren't holding PC gaming back, developers are.

If anything it's "with consoles that struggle to achieve 30fps @ 720p"

There's no reason for developers not to allow for higher IQ on PC, they just don't do it. Consoles aren't holding PC gaming back, developers are.
This is a bit obtuse. The only reason developers don't do it is because they're aiming for consoles as the lead skew. AAA games are often developed with higher quality textures and model assets than what we normally see, but that gets chopped down to whatever consoles at the time can handle and they just keep it universal across all the platforms for simplicity. What pisses me off is when they framelock it at 30fps.

So you can say it's developers holding back PC games, but they wouldn't be holding back the games graphically if it wasn't for the consoles. Again, when you see games like Crysis or Battlefield 3 that develop for the PC as the lead skew, they look far better than anything else at the time.

This is a bit obtuse. The only reason developers don't do it is because they're aiming for consoles as the lead skew. AAA games are often developed with higher quality textures and model assets than what we normally see, but that gets chopped down to whatever consoles at the time can handle and they just keep it universal across all the platforms for simplicity. What pisses me off is when they framelock it at 30fps.

So you can say it's developers holding back PC games, but they wouldn't be holding back the games graphically if it wasn't for the consoles. Again, when you see games like Crysis or Battlefield 3 that develop for the PC as the lead skew, they look far better than anything else at the time.

You can have well made console ports, everybody's gone to the rapture looks great, mad Max looks great, metal gear looks great. The problem isn't consoles, it's developers that treat pc like a second class citizen.

Consoles aren't a threat to pc

HD-DVD? What's that? LOL

I had a 360 with the HD-DVD add-on but traded it to a friend for his PS3. Win-win for me. :)

I have 2 of those drives, used one on my HTPC and the other on my the 360. I did eventually paint one black to match the 360.
I was also able to use the drive to load OSX Snow Leopard onto my Dell Mini9
htpc-360-1.jpg

360.jpg

How many HD DVDs did you invest in? I only ever bought the Blade Runner collectors edition so didn't waste too much money on it

You can have well made console ports, everybody's gone to the rapture looks great, mad Max looks great, metal gear looks great. The problem isn't consoles, it's developers that treat pc like a second class citizen.

Consoles aren't a threat to pc
I was talking more of the Xbox 360 era where it was much more obvious the PC was being held back, sometimes in a big way. Nowadays I think most games look great.

How many HD DVDs did you invest in? I only ever bought the Blade Runner collectors edition so didn't waste too much money on it
I bought maybe 20 or so, only got them when they were on sale after Bluray won. I did do one of the Red To Blue promos and got Planet Earth on Bluray for $20, just sent in the cover art for the HD-DVD,so I still have the HD-DVD hard copy.
media-rack.jpg

I was talking more of the Xbox 360 era where it was much more obvious the PC was being held back, sometimes in a big way. Nowadays I think most games look great.

You can continue to ignore what he is saying but, he is correct, the XBox 360 never held PC gaming back, developers did that. Blaming something instead of someone seems to be a very common occurrence though so, that is not unusual, just incorrect.

I bought maybe 20 or so, only got them when they were on sale after Bluray won. I did do one of the Red To Blue promos and got Planet Earth on Bluray for $20, just sent in the cover art for the HD-DVD,so I still have the HD-DVD hard copy.
View attachment 2301

SO jealous of that Age of Mythology box

You can continue to ignore what he is saying but, he is correct, the XBox 360 never held PC gaming back, developers did that. Blaming something instead of someone seems to be a very common occurrence though so, that is not unusual, just incorrect.
I literally just explained why that's an obtuse interpretation a few posts up. I get sick of the "consoles never held PC gaming back" argument, when you have games like Alan Wake or Heavy Rain which were originally PC exclusives, then bought off by Microsoft / Sony to keep them OFF the PC. Alan Wake only came out on PC two years later because the exclusiveness with MS expired and the devs really wanted to bring it to PC the entire time. PC still doesn't have heavy rain and probably won't. A game company paying money to keep games OFF another platform is like the textbook definition of it hurting another platform.

But back to graphics, if you really think this is all the devs and not the console, why would there be cases of multiplatform sequels to PC exclusives that have WORSE graphics than the originals? Why did larger name PC exclusives made during the 360 era look SO much better than other multiplatform ones? You really think the console had no influence on this at all? It's just a massive coincidence so many developers started making games behind the curve of what the midrange gaming machine could handle at the time?

I literally just explained why that's an obtuse interpretation a few posts up. I get sick of the "consoles never held PC gaming back" argument, when you have games like Alan Wake or Heavy Rain which were originally PC exclusives, then bought off by Microsoft / Sony to keep them OFF the PC. Alan Wake only came out on PC two years later because the exclusiveness with MS expired and the devs really wanted to bring it to PC the entire time. PC still doesn't have heavy rain and probably won't. A game company paying money to keep games OFF another platform is like the textbook definition of it hurting another platform.

But back to graphics, if you really think this is all the devs and not the console, why would there be cases of multiplatform sequels to PC exclusives that have WORSE graphics than the originals? Why did larger name PC exclusives made during the 360 era look SO much better than other multiplatform ones? You really think the console had no influence on this at all? It's just a massive coincidence so many developers started making games behind the curve of what the midrange gaming machine could handle at the time?

Is it *impossible* for a console port to run well and look good? No.

Is it impossible for a console port to look good and run well if the developers makes no effort to do so? Yes

It takes more effort to optimize for pc than it does for a console, on top of that console sales are the majority. It's simple a question of will and financing the work

Microsoft has stated in the past that some games offer a better experience in the living room, sitting on a couch and played on a console with a controller. :LOL: Alan Wake was one of the games they cited but as PC gamers we know this is BS. I find myself more immersed in a game by playing at a desk because I'm sitting close to a large PC monitor, playing on a high end PC using a KB/M. Nothing beats it.

Because it's time to make a new game machine that's incompatible with all the previous ones, so you have to buy your games all over again. Planned obsolescence has always been a microsoft policy, even to the point of crippling their own older products that still work fine in order to get you to purchase a new version of basically the same thing. It's the prime reason they suck.
I don't think that is true considering Xbox One is adding more games to its backwards compatibility list pretty much every day, and you don't have to pay for them like you do with the PS4.

Is it *impossible* for a console port to run well and look good? No.

Is it impossible for a console port to look good and run well if the developers makes no effort to do so? Yes

It takes more effort to optimize for pc than it does for a console, on top of that console sales are the majority. It's simple a question of will and financing the work
No argument with any of that, but he was talking like consoles have NOTHING to do with this, and it's 100% dev decisions existing in a vacuum separate of what the specs of the xbox are.

No argument with any of that, but he was talking like consoles have NOTHING to do with this, and it's 100% dev decisions existing in a vacuum separate of what the specs of the xbox are.
Who's he? You called *my* argument obtuse, consoles have nothing to do with holding back pc. These consoles could be way more powerful and pc ports could still suck

Who's he? You called *my* argument obtuse, consoles have nothing to do with holding back pc. These consoles could be way more powerful and pc ports could still suck
I was thinking of ManofGod, but you're right, I did say that, I got confused. As for your argument, that is possible and has happened (Saints Row 2, GTA 4, etc.), however the argument was that consoles weren't holding back PC graphics. If you had more powerful consoles, we would have had higher textures or models or additional details on these games. Instead, the industry standard was to just mirror whatever limitations the consoles had (even though the assets were already developed at higher fidelity), so I was arguing, yes, consoles really were holding back PC graphics during that time, with devs being just a conduit for that. The consoles dictated what the vast majority of devs would do, it was the rare exception that tried to aim any higher than that.

I was thinking of ManofGod, but you're right, I did say that, I got confused. As for your argument, that is possible and has happened (Saints Row 2, GTA 4, etc.), however the argument was that consoles weren't holding back PC graphics. If you had more powerful consoles, we would have had higher textures or models or additional details on these games. Instead, the industry standard was to just mirror whatever limitations the consoles had (even though the assets were already developed at higher fidelity), so I was arguing, yes, consoles really were holding back PC graphics during that time, with devs being just a conduit for that. The consoles dictated what the vast majority of devs would do, it was the rare exception that tried to aim any higher than that.

Wow, an inanimate object dictated to the devs what they could or could not do, LOL. Ok, sure thing. Dude, people need to stop blaming inanimate objects and ideas and place the blame where it actually belongs, on a person or people. However, I guess it is easier to blame something instead of someone. (I sure am glad I do not have a console as a boss. :D)

Wow, an inanimate object dictated to the devs what they could or could not do, LOL. Ok, sure thing. Dude, people need to stop blaming inanimate objects and ideas and place the blame where it actually belongs, on a person or people. However, I guess it is easier to blame something instead of someone. (I sure am glad I do not have a console as a boss. :D)

Devs had assets at higher quality but the console forced them to worsen them , those who rebelled were brutally murdered and their corpses were desecrated by the console.

Devs had assets at higher quality but the console forced them to worsen them , those who rebelled were brutally murdered and their corpses were desecrated by the console.

Yeah, sounds like something that happened in ancient Rome... but back then they spelled it "Consul." xD

I just use mine for media center extenders, they work great for that purpose.

Its a mixture of both, the low HW specs of the consoles and the devs that made games catered to consoles because more people own consoles than gaming pc's. Sot they design the game for the lowest common denominator being consoles so they have the largest ROI and then just port it over to PC for more profit. If the consoles were spec'ed higher then they could designing the games to have higher fidelity which would in turn have the opportunity to look even better on pc. A dev could do the same thing but backwards, make the game for pc with high quality visuals and then port it over to consoles and have the console version run lower than 30 fps. But they wouldn't do that because they would just be shooting themselves in the foot and have a terrible ROI

Back