This is why blowers suck and 5700 XTs burn.

viivo

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm modding one of my stock 5700 XT coolers to hold the pump head of an AIO. I just separated the heatsink from the baseplate and thought I'd take some pictures of one inadequate cooling solution. Old news, I know, but endlessly amusing to me.

20190820_153138.jpg

Yes, there's too much paste. It was a test that went wrong.

20190820_153159.jpg

edit: On a somewhat related topic, I notice on one GPU it says made in Taiwan, the other China. I thought they were all made in Taiwan?
core1.jpg core2.jpg

Last edited:
I did this mod on my Vega, best decision. Which AIO are you using?

The EVGA Hybrid I had on my 1070. The only snag is I didn't know the mounting bracket was also a seal, until I removed it. So I have to find a way to refill it before I can finish.

The EVGA Hybrid I had on my 1070. The only snag is I didn't know the mounting bracket was also a seal, until I removed it. So I have to find a way to refill it before I can finish.
that's unfortunate :( best of luck! when it's all together the core temps will be worth it (y)

that's unfortunate :( best of luck! when it's all together the temps will be worth it (y)

What AIO did you use? I'm considering just picking up a cheap 120MM AIO instead of wasting time trying to fix this one.

I am pretty certain TSMC has a fab in China as well.
I highly doubt, even under the most liberal interpretations of "Made in China 2025," that TSMC has a 7nm fab in China.

Most likely, it's referring to AMD's existing packaging facility in China. Die is 100% guaranteed to be from Taiwan.

Just like Turing GPUs are packaged in Taiwan or Korea, but all of the silicon is from Taiwan.

Reactions: viivo
like this
What AIO did you use? I'm considering just picking up a cheap 120MM AIO instead of wasting time trying to fix this one.

Corsair H100i Pro RGB. A 120mm AIO will be just ok and probably not great if you want to overclock fwiw... <200W chips really benefits from 240mm or more.

Reactions: viivo
like this
Back