This is the cheapest, best HTPC option today

MrCrispy

2[H]4U
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Chromebox-CB1-014-Desktop-White/dp/B00KD5RUPA - $150
http://www.amazon.com/Media-Blu-ray-Remote-Control-Playstation-3/dp/B0050SX9I2 - $14

Install OpenElec - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=194362

Software - install MediaBrowser server on your pc, point it to local media, install XBMB3C addon for XBMC in OpenElec.

You now have a fully capable HTPC that can play any media, incl 1080p hihg bitrate mkv with HD audio, remote control, and uses very little power, is silent, and can be mounted on back of your tv.

Its better and far cheaper than most HTPC builds you'll see, e.g. its much cheaper than a NUC and more capable.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
cool, for me I used my HTPCs with live cable tv using a silicon dust HDHR prime... so all 3 of my HTPCs are low power full windows machines running WMC

but this is a cool device and has me thinking what I could do with it for that little $$

I disagree. My newest cheapest HTPC is a FireTV for $100 including remote.

No internet surfing, but I don't need that.

Another cheaper option is the Roku 3. Refurbed with remote for $80 shipped.

The HP chrome TV device's only advantages would be internet browsing & you can install linux.

You could just use Plex instead of installing OpenElec & xbmc. Plex is available for the Chrome OS, FireTV & Roku 3.

Pretty interesting. Is it actually silent? The reviews say that it uses a fan (but that initial marketing said it was going to be fanless).

I only use one HTPC at the moment, but looking at expanding throughout the house... this seems like a promising, affordable route.

I disagree. My newest cheapest HTPC is a FireTV for $100 including remote.

No internet surfing, but I don't need that.

Another cheaper option is the Roku 3. Refurbed with remote for $80 shipped.

The HP chrome TV device's only advantages would be internet browsing & you can install linux.

He said cheapest and best, not just cheapest...

I have no experience with the FTV, though the XBMC installations make me curious.

But I do own a Roku 3 and it's a mediocre experience. I would gladly take a box that costs a bit more but can boot into full-fledged XBMC (and play everything I throw at it).

My point is, he boldy proclaimed "BEST".

That's a subjective term. Obviously. Jeez. I gotta explain everything.
Does OP have experience with the other devices? if not, he's making assumptions without giving any details. He made a single statement and a simple list of reasons why he thinks it's the best, but yet does not compare the advantages of this HP Chromebox to the Roku 3 or a FireTV. Both of those devices can do everything he listed and you don't have to install an alternate OS to turn it into a HTPC.
The original post was just begging to be criticized. So I took the bait.

I am 100% happy with my FireTV device. From everything I'd read before I purchased is that it was much more responsive than the Roku 3. I don't own a Roku 3, but I've played around with one at my co-worker's house.

The FireTV is indeed much more responsive. I have no problems with the FireTV and I am extremely happy with it. So I'd say the FireTV is the cheapest & BEST.

I would gladly take a box that costs a bit more but can boot into full-fledged XBMC (and play everything I throw at it).

A bit more? A refurbed Roku 3 is $80 shipped. This is $165 including remote.
That's a LOT more than "a bit more". That's DOUBLE The price.

There are many folks who prefer Plex instead of XBMC. I have used XBMC on my regular HTPC for about 4 years now, and I just switched to Plex.
I now prefer Plex.

So for folks who are shopping for a super small, quiet, capable device that can stream 1080p, there are other options that have all the features you need for HTPC tasks and are cheaper. THAT is why I disagree with OP's bold proclamation that the HP Chromebox is the "cheapest & best".
It's not to me. It offers no advantages to me and it's $65 more expensive than a FireTV.

Last edited:
FireTV is Android and it has limitations in XBMC like all Android boxes, e.g. it won't bitstream HD audio.
Roku is not going to run XBMC. It can be used with Plex, but your server will need to transcode, and the UI is not going to be as fast or pretty.

I made the claim because I have a FireTv and a Roku, as well as a Windows HTPC, I've also used XBMC, MediaPortal, Plex and now am on MediaBrowser.

IMO nothing comes close to full XBMC on the client, and I haven't found any device that comes close to the price performance ratio of a Chromebox.

And if you want something cheaper, I would recommend FireTV, with certain caveats. If you have HD audio, there's really only 2 options - NUC (or any regular pc) or Chromebox. And even with NUC you can't run Windows because Windows drivers for Celeron don't do HD, you have to get the i3/i5 version for that, much more expensive.

I'm new to HTPC's...and actually Mr. Crispy has been a great help in me learning about them.

I just wanted to add...ASUS has a similar box. ASUS Chromebox.

Looks like it's MSRP is $179, but going for $139 at Newegg right now.

Best,

LC

And if you want something cheaper, I would recommend FireTV, with certain caveats. If you have HD audio, there's really only 2 options - NUC (or any regular pc) or Chromebox. And even with NUC you can't run Windows because Windows drivers for Celeron don't do HD, you have to get the i3/i5 version for that, much more expensive.

Source? I'm not sure on the previous gen, but to my knowledge, Baytrail Celeron NUC's can do HD video and audio bit streaming without issue in Windows.

I'm new to HTPC's...and actually Mr. Crispy has been a great help in me learning about them.

I just wanted to add...ASUS has a similar box. ASUS Chromebox.

Looks like it's MSRP is $179, but going for $139 at Newegg right now.

Best,

LC

Wow, that's a great deal !! I have the Asus one (it came before HP and is the original Chromebox), $40 savings is nice. I'd linked rthe HP one because it was $20 cheaper than Asus.

I also forgot to mention that these come with Google offers for 100GB Google Drive for 2 years. I know its not that expensive to buy yourself, but its still nice to have. And you can always dual boot between ChromeOS and OpenElec. Add a keyboard/mouse and its a nice little pc. Since the browser on OpenElec is a little lacking its a nice alternative.

Last edited:
I've found ARM, such as the Snapdragon 800, to be excellent at video decoding even up to 4K 265Mbit rate without transcoding and performs better than i5 4300U. Unfortunately, there aren't any affordable Snapdragon 800 mini boards. The closest one I've found is the $179 ODROID-XU3 which is powered by 8-core Exynos 5422, runs Ubuntu 14.04 and Android 4.4, supports 4K output, high speed eMMC 5.0, 100Mbit LAN, etc. Idle consumption is about 2.5W, nominal 7W typical and peak 12W. Seriously thinking about trying it unless something better comes along.

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G140448267127

Realize these cost what they cost because its a subsidized box aimed at steering people into Google Services. If all people do is buy these boxes and put on XMBC it won't be long before that is stopped.

The number of people who will put XBMC on this is going to be miniscule it won't even matter. And I still use mine for its intended purpose, dual booting into Chromium OS via USB takes so little time, and these things make great pc's.

I still think the cheapest, best HTPC option for enthusiasts like us is to simply use your previous decommissioned parts.

My HTPC gets all the hand me downs every time I upgrade. Unlike that chromebox, I can record live cable tv and play just about any game on it...usually at the same time.

Realize these cost what they cost because its a subsidized box aimed at steering people into Google Services. If all people do is buy these boxes and put on XMBC it won't be long before that is stopped.

No so much on these. Remember seeing a "break down" on these and their assembled is cost was something like $120 to re-seller. This leaves reasonable margin to re-sellers and nothing but upside for Google.

I still think the cheapest, best HTPC option for enthusiasts like us is to simply use your previous decommissioned parts.

My HTPC gets all the hand me downs every time I upgrade. Unlike that chromebox, I can record live cable tv and play just about any game on it...usually at the same time.

Back in the day I would have done this, but these days I no longer need to upgrade!

I've had my same CPU in my desktop since end of 2011 and it is still kicking ass... There is little need to upgrade anymore, unlike 1999-2003 when I went through something like 8 CPUs in 4 years...

Meh...My Raspberry Pi serves just fine as an HTPC, with XBMC as the OS and I have yet to find a video it won't play. It's far faster in menus than my Comcast Cable box, the Smart portion of my Sony BluRay players, and the so-called "SmartTV" portion that came with my Samsung.

I think I paid $25 for mine.

CONS:

I am limited to 5.1 Audio, but I don't have a need of more than that (just my personal preference)

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Chromebox-CB1-014-Desktop-White/dp/B00KD5RUPA - $150
http://www.amazon.com/Media-Blu-ray-Remote-Control-Playstation-3/dp/B0050SX9I2 - $14

Install OpenElec - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=194362

Software - install MediaBrowser server on your pc, point it to local media, install XBMB3C addon for XBMC in OpenElec.

You now have a fully capable HTPC that can play any media, incl 1080p hihg bitrate mkv with HD audio, remote control, and uses very little power, is silent, and can be mounted on back of your tv.

Its better and far cheaper than most HTPC builds you'll see, e.g. its much cheaper than a NUC and more capable.

So I follow along here...

This chromebox can pass TrueHD and DTS-MA correctly over HDMI?

Zarathustra[H];1041024033 said:
Back in the day I would have done this, but these days I no longer need to upgrade!

I've had my same CPU in my desktop since end of 2011 and it is still kicking ass... There is little need to upgrade anymore, unlike 1999-2003 when I went through something like 8 CPUs in 4 years...

Well look at mr.money bags over here. My HTPC is running on a chip whose EOL was 2008.

Well look at mr.money bags over here. My HTPC is running on a chip whose EOL was 2008.

haha.. During my upgrade binge in college I spent all my summer job money on computer parts and then proceeded to dig through the couch for coins for beer and food :p

PRIORITIES!

Meh...My Raspberry Pi serves just fine as an HTPC, with XBMC as the OS and I have yet to find a video it won't play. It's far faster in menus than my Comcast Cable box, the Smart portion of my Sony BluRay players, and the so-called "SmartTV" portion that came with my Samsung.

I think I paid $25 for mine.

CONS:

I am limited to 5.1 Audio, but I don't have a need of more than that (just my personal preference)
It really cost way more than $25. You had to contribute, a Power Supply (decent one), possibly a USB Hub, a case, as SD card, an HDMI Cable, possibly a wi-fi adapter, a keyboard or remote of the wireless variety. After all that it isn't s cheap anymore.

Zarathustra[H];1041026324 said:
haha.. During my upgrade binge in college I spent all my summer job money on computer parts and then proceeded to dig through the couch for coins for beer and food :p

PRIORITIES!

Still better than spending all your summer job money on beer and food and then digging through the couch for coins for computer parts. :p

It really cost way more than $25. You had to contribute, a Power Supply (decent one), possibly a USB Hub, a case, as SD card, an HDMI Cable, possibly a wi-fi adapter, a keyboard or remote of the wireless variety. After all that it isn't s cheap anymore.

It's definitely not way more than $25 for all that stuff, but its not even close to $160. You can buy a prebuilt Raspbmc system for around $60 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Mod...8&qid=1408366941&sr=8-4&keywords=raspberry+pi

Or if you're just going to run a media server on another machine, get a Chromecast for $35 and run Plex Media Server on another machine.

I think the best reasonably cheap option is the refurb Roku 3. I use plex and it truly is an awesome polished complete package.

I would vote for refurb Roku 3's as they are in the 65$ range, and the plex stuff is easy enough for the kids and wife to not really need help with anything = big +

$35 is what I paid for mine. My original post should say 35. Seems I fat-fingered the entry in my post. My Pi is the one with the ethernet connector. The ones without cost $25

It didn't cost more than that, though. I re-used the power adapter from my broken Moto Droid 1 and I have like 3 USB hubs leftover from users I upgraded in the past. I have used nothing except Dell Monitors since 2004 (three 2407 FPW, three 2408FPW, three U3011) so as far as HDMI cables are concerned, I have 7 HDMI, VGA, and DP cables lying around as spares.

I use the ethernet port on the Pi so WiFi is not used. My teeny-tiny Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo is the one that came on the Asus motherboard that had built-in Bluetooth.SD Cards? Who doesn't have like a dozen of them lying around?

As I stated before, it's perfectly capable of playing back 36Gb BluRay rips with 5.1 Audio without stuttering. If you're local to the Memphis area, PM me and you can come over and watch the Avengers or some other BluRay Rip I've made.

So I follow along here...

This chromebox can pass TrueHD and DTS-MA correctly over HDMI?

It passes DTS, that's what I use.

I have the Asus version and absolute love it. Install of openelec was seamless. I use a Synology NAS which combined with all the available add ons make a great pay TV replacement. I couldn't be happier with the set-up. Works perfectly, don't make a peep and is low power. I considered the FireTV but it had a few negatives that weren't worth for the relative small money savings.

It's definitely not way more than $25 for all that stuff, but its not even close to $160. You can buy a prebuilt Raspbmc system for around $60 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Mod...8&qid=1408366941&sr=8-4&keywords=raspberry+pi
You have to come up with some kind of control still, remote or keyboard, more like $80. Now you're in commercial streamer territory.

And that doesn't begin to deal with its functionality outside of playback. Its a nightmare to negotiate around the interface. Definitely not competitive with those commercial streamers or a celeron based HTPC.

I am thinking of picking this up for a friend of mine, how does the PS3 remote work with the Chromebox? Does it include a USB IR receiver ?

Edit: Looks like the remote is bluetooth, does it use that?

I am assuming using mediabrowser ensures that the metadata is stored in one location versus having each box store it individually?

Last edited:
I'm running Plex Media Server on an old Dell C1100 as a VM. It's not set to transcode on the server. My Roku3 handles all the transcoding just fine, even on 1080p MKV content.

By far the best experience I've had with any setup.

Minix Neo X64

Just throwing this out there...$129 for a real 'fanless' unit and comes with a remote. Will ship with Andriod kitkat 4.4, but also runs Windows or *nix/XBMC. Don't know if it will stream HD audio or not, I'll wait until those who understand these things better drop by and comment.

The HP unit is now down to $139.

:),

LC

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I just trying to consider all my options right now. That Minix Neo looks promising.

For my needs, I almost rather just use something locally rather than relying on streaming from an upstairs computer, so I am trying to figure out whats best and cheapest for that option. Id rather just store files on an external HDD and bring it downstairs when I want to view files off it. Cant say id never want to stream stuff but, I did just buy a amazon fire tv stick for $20 for that as well so...

But for the most part, just want to be able to connect external portable hdd's via usb to my home theater I think. And something that can play all file formats or majority.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Why install OpenELEC AND XBMC/Kodi?

Back