This is How Much Facebook Makes Off You

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Ever wonder what your data is worth to Facebook? A new article from Time shows that the average revenue per user in 2017 was $20.21, with users in Canada and the U.S worth even more because of the size of the market. They get this profit by selling insights based on how we use Facebook, and then serve it up to marketers to strategically place ads.

There you have it. The value of your privacy is $20. A bit ho-hum when you think of it as $20, but when you add that to the fact that Facebook had 2.2 billion monthly users in Q4 2017, it becomes insane.

The sheer amount of data Facebook collects on its users is impressive. In 2016, the Washington Post identified 98 data points the site uses to target ads, including age, gender, school, square footage of home, relationship status, political leaning, where someone shops, if they like the Olympics and whether they own a motorcycle.

Better hope your face isn't in any photos by others on facebook...
https://hardforum.com/threads/faceb...feature-finds-you-in-untagged-photos.1950777/

They have the technology to still find you.
This.
They have profiles for you if you are signed up or not, because your lemming attention-whore friends post shit on faceberg and they scrape your facial characteristics.
And as mentioned earlier in this thread, they'll track you via faceberg integration in most shitty websites.

No facebook needed. If you have been to a bank, gas station, airport, mall or almost any place with security cameras in the last couple years your face has been assigned it's very own special code.

No facebook needed. If you have been to a bank, gas station, airport, mall or almost any place with security cameras in the last couple years your face has been assigned it's very own special code.
But that still doesn't make them any money from me, I don't do facebook so I don't see any ads they generate.

"Average revenue" so they make exactly 0 from most people and thousands from someones grandma who mashes purchase purchase purchase on every link that scrolls past.

Facebook can collect a fair amount of data even if you don't have an account. ISPs, Banks, Stores, Credit Card companies, etc, all collect data and sell it. Facebook can buy that and aggregate it with what they collect on you. Even if what FB collects = 0, they still will wind up with a rather impressive data set. If you had an account and deleted it, they still can match what they buy with what they knew about you pre-deletion and sell it to folks that still have your email address as an active link.

austin_powers_4564674.jpg

One of the data centers they use (it also lists the FBI, DoD, and other agencies as clients) is across the street from my house (I could hit it with a good throw), so for $30, I will personally go destroy your data.

JK, it's surrounded by 20ft fences and guards with AR15s. You're not touching that data.

I like how they're slowly leaking the story (like they did with Snowden) for maximum impact. The second round of stories regarding CA's CEO/CIO being videotaped bragging about they rig elections with blackmail was a nice touch. Loose lips sink ships.

If a competitor to Facebook provided all the functionality, but with no ads, no data collecting, and a promise to stay that way forever because it costs $20 per year, would you pay it? Since it's designed for the paying user and not a market research and ads platform, presumably it would be much nicer.

Probably not because try convincing all your friends to also pay $20 for it. The system works.

I don't use Facebook personally, but I just can't bash a well designed system, especially when factoring in how "evil-genius" it is.

As much as fb is worth, they can atleast uphold 1GB of vid data for end users rather, what 6mb?

Back