• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

This forum rocks

jebo_4jc

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2011
2FA
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
14,572
I just wanted to say that the wealth of knowledge here is fantastic.

I'm building a budged-minded file server using a g965 mobo, Celeron, and about 4 HDDs now, with the possibility of expanding to 6 or 8 in the future.
I needed a PSU
I typed "file server" into the search box

And I found these two PSUs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817101111
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189005

I was afraid at first about the dual rails, since a file server will obviously load 12v primarily. And honestly, I never understood what dual rails meant in real-world scenarios, and I knew I needed around 20A on the 12V, worst case scenario. I looked at a couple of the recommended PSUs, and the dual rail models had 12V rails around 18A or so. I was afraid.
But, then I learned the CPU will run off one of the 12V rails and the HDDs will run off another, so the world is at peace.

Now I just need to decide between the two.

So anyway, back to my original point of the post:
Spectre, Jonnyguru, Davidhammock, Ice Czar, and anybody else I'm forgetting---you guys deserve our thanks for being so patient with the thousands of "Which PSU is right for me?" questions, and actually taking the time to answer them.
 
As much as I hate to say it this is an either or situation. Neither holds any huge benefit over the other. So grab which ever tickles your fancy......the Xclio might look a little nicer but that is about it.

And thanks we try.
 
Spectre said:
As much as I hate to say it this is an either or situation. Neither holds any huge benefit over the other. So grab which ever tickles your fancy......the Xclio might look a little nicer but that is about it.
That was pretty much my feeling as well....
 
I went with the AMS because it saved me $1.30 in shipping cost :)
 
to the OP - dual/triple/ etc.. rails are meant to act as one, don't know exacly all the benefits of having more than 1 rail but manufacturers state that the power delivered is more stable. Their engineers must know what they're doing because multiple rails as become the trend lately.

I would also like to thank all those folks you named because I found out more about the power supply industry from them than anyone could ever know.
 
hardc0re said:
to the OP - dual/triple/ etc.. rails are meant to act as one, don't know exacly all the benefits of having more than 1 rail but manufacturers state that the power delivered is more stable. Their engineers must know what they're doing because multiple rails as become the trend lately.

I would also like to thank all those folks you named because I found out more about the power supply industry from them than anyone could ever know.


Actually no they don't always act as one if they properly implement OCP on the 12v rails.
 
Back
Top