This Computer Will Not Detect A SATA or IDE Hard Drive AT ALL!!!

GeForceX

Supreme [H]ardness
3200+ Athlon 64 Socket 754
Asus K8V-SE
250 GB Western Digital SATA 7200 RPM
6800 BFG OC
1 GB Corsair RAM
Sony CD-RW Drive

First the computer crashed. A possible virus crash. A boot up would not work anymore. The motherboard would not detect the hard drive anymore. Finally, bought a new hard drive in SATA. The motherboard simply doesn't recognize it in the BIOS either. Tried an old 60 GB IDE HD, that one would not be detected either. The hard disk world is dead! :eek: What happened? I really hope nothing failed to work. Any ideas here?

-J.

Done. CMOS battery taken out. Pulled the plug. 10 second refresh. Put it all back in. Same stuff.

Strangest thing since 'nam.

-J.

got me, dude.

try new cables. highly unlikely that both cables are bad, but worth a shot.
and try different sata ports.

make sure the ata drive has the jumpers set right. can't think of anything other than that. it's pretty basic.

Looks like the motherboard may have been fried somehow. To make sure, can you test the hard drives in another computer? If they all come clean, then the motherboard is definitely a goner.

Already tried different cables - both SATA and IDE.
Already tried different SATA ports - SATA 1 and 2.
Already tried different IDE ports - Primary and Secondary.
ATA jumpers have not been touched since it was built.
Already tested both hard drives at another computer.

How could it be? :( How could it die? It's an ASUS! :p

-J.

You may want to re-flash the BIOS, even it it's current. I've see a couple of weird crashes scramble the code in the ROM....but, that's a rare one. Suppose a virus could have done that, too....

Is it possible that the crash was actually the MoBo packin' it in....?? Hard to believe with a good MoBo, but again, I've see it happen.....

Good Luck - B.B.S.

More specifics? What exactly happened when it crashed? What leads you to believe it was a virus? What exactly does it do instead of detecting the drive? What power supply?

are the drives spinning up? Can you feel them spin up on startup. I had a power supply kill two brand new drives at the same time. I went and got a replacement power supply and two replacement drives and the board detected it.

Was playing a game.
It froze.
Tried to reboot the system.
It rebooted alright.
10 times. :)
It never reached the Windows loading screen.
Then finally came with an error:
"Checksum error..." :)

Why it could be a virus? The computer was previously scanned with an anti-virus program and found a virus. It was deleted. Then the game crashed halfway. I doubt the virus was even deleted in the first place. ;) And no, my friend doesn't remember the name of the virus.

Power supply is Antec TruPower 430W - should not be a problem. Hard drives spins normally - no ticking sound (to indicate failure of a hard drive). Also tested on other PC's - hard drives detected and booted flawlessly.

:'(

Well, BBS is right! I must re-flash the BEEEOOHHHSSS. :D

-J.

May I suggest getting an HDD controller for a spare PCI slot? It might help alleviate some of the problems you have been having. But an asus board......I would expect this from Soyo.

Soyo.....the only company to release a bios update to add IDE RAID support but remove support for IDE -.-

Back