This Changes Everything (Farcry)

Maynerd Goldstein

Weaksauce
I downloaded the 500MB demo tonight. I now sit here stunned at what I just experienced. This is the next big leap dudes. Remember when you first walked out the spaceship in Unreal and said "Wow, this changes everything"? Well, that's how good this game is. It's Incredible.

It really is a kick ass game. I can't wait for it to be released, and I get a new comp to play it on. Compared to games like HL2 and Doom3 I think its going to hold its own. I don't think that Doom3 is going to be able to have vast landscapes like FC.

I agree, I just finished the demo. The graphics blew me away. For the first time I actually felt like I was in a jungle. Most attempts at foliage in games fail miserably, but this was superb. Not only that, but you can see the entire island, miles and miles of it. The game is full of these wide open areas that are really stunning.

The gameplay is up there with Half-Life, but the storyline wasn't explained too well. I'm hoping that it will be good as well.

OK call me a tard but I haven't played the demo yet...

This thread is forcing me to actually download it..:p

Yeah, do that...

The half-dozen other threads on the topic should have gotten the point accross. Guess you're just oblivious... :p

Then once you finish the first demo, get the second. It's tasty too.

-dB

bastards... I'll have to D/L too now... Saw the screenies thread and it does look nice. Is the game realistic or sci-fi like (half life)

the graphics are great, the water is awsome. But I just can't get into the gameplay... im not feeling it.

First demo I've actually finished :D

Great graphics, great gameplay, pretty smart ai.(I hate it when they call all of their homies, and next thing ya know there's 12 of them bad guys all on you) Can't wait to play the full version !!!!!!

I hope it's got good multiplay though.

One more thing.

I loved the chaser single and multiplay demo, especially the multiplayer demo(shock trooper rocks). When the game came out nobody bought it except for me:mad: . There's more people playing the multiplay demo than the retail ver. That f*ing sucks. Hope this doesn't happen with farcry.

BTW, if you haven't played chaser yet, download the demo of chaser as well. Then run to your local ebgames or any other retailer, and pick up the full retail for $20.00.

I downloaded the demo and just to clarify, is this a stealth based game? I tried to be a bit stealthy but the fuckers see you so quickly and once your spotted they are on you like stink on shit...

I ended up going through Rambo style.

Personally I think the gameplay is *OK*, the graphics are very sweet though. That water looks sooo damn cool.

Gameplay is so so but graphics are top notch. Good physics engine and like the fact I can explorer on such a huge map

who knows.. might open up for some good mods

I wonder what the DOOM 3 and Half Life 2 people think about this. I mean they have invested a lot of money to make their graphics engine top of the hill and now that Far Cry got before them we will all be like "seen that before" :D

Originally posted by oqvist
I wonder what the DOOM 3 and Half Life 2 people think about this. I mean they have invested a lot of money to make their graphics engine top of the hill and now that Far Cry got before them we will all be like "seen that before" :D

Uh somehow I think Doom III will blow Far Cry away. The trees are ugly!

Originally posted by ThisMonsterLives
the graphics are "okay" to me

nothing revolutionary

Thats because games in general are just becoming better and better. Its a gradual transition, so nothing is going to be "revolutionary". If you look at these graphics, and then go back and look at ur games like Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem.... I think its quite "revolutionary". :D

I thought the first demo was really buggy. I installed this demo a few days ago but it will not run. Tells me there was a fatal exception. memory xxxx could noot be written to.

I was interested in the game until I found out that instead of realism it has mutants and monsters towards the end. Kind of how halflife got stupid at the end.

Originally posted by Baker
Thats because games in general are just becoming better and better. Its a gradual transition, so nothing is going to be "revolutionary". If you look at these graphics, and then go back and look at ur games like Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem.... I think its quite "revolutionary". :D

But Far Cry looks way better than any other fps to date. I haven´t seen UT 2004 so don´t know how that compare but if you don´t see the glory of Far Cry you don´t have the computer to run it.

And no Doom 3 and Half Life 2 won´t look significantly better unless they totally slaughter the frame rates which is quite possible I guess.

If they are more optimized for the R420 and NV40 perhaps otherwise Far Cry will steal most of the thunder from those gigants I expect.

Far Cry will also make a man or a bitch out of your machine. when I had my 1.4 tbird and my 9500pro it would creep along and when people showed on screen forget it. Now I am rolling pretty good with my 2500+@200x11 and 3.9 cat's (4.2 and 4.3 would not work with the demo on my machine)

Just played the demo #2 and i didn't want it to end. I'll be returning my copy of Vietnam to EB and picking up this title for sure.

Could this be the awesome hit it's looking to be?
The next halflife maybe?

I sound like a kid in a candy store.

The devs are even taking an active part in the official FarCry forums. I haven't seen that since Deus Ex (original).

Farcry to me is a hit and miss. The graphics are pretty good and the game overall LOOKS great BUT the mouse movement is "strange" and maybe laggy i guess? And when i went from a gf 4 ti4200 to a geforce fx 5900 NU the laggyness still stayed sooooooo.... Unless its tweaked before release and optimized i don't see it being a "top" game" Ut2k4 on the other hand rocks. Graphics, gameplayer, mouse movement isn't "strange", etc. So we'll see...

And no Doom 3 and Half Life 2 won´t look significantly better unless they totally slaughter the frame rates which is quite possible I guess.
Well D3 pictures looked totally impressive years ago but since it is taking so long for it to come out, it will not be that impressive overall. It still looks better then Farcry but not much. D3 will still probably hold its own for lighting for a while but Farcry's models and environments are catching up really quickly.

heh ok after playing the full game and taking the settings higher than the demo I must say the graphics are VERY good

the water set at ULTRA HIGH is amazing and nearly cripples my PC

OMG I don't want to upgrade again :(

Originally posted by Baker
I don't think that Doom3 is going to be able to have vast landscapes like FC.

Considering D3 takes place indoors and is meant to leave you feeling claustrophobic...

IMO, It looks relly cool, but the character movement leaves a LOT to be desired. The enemies move too sporadic and non-human like. I like realism...and the movement in farcry just doesn't seem to have it from what I've seen.

If the people moved more realisticly, then I'd give it a 10/10.

i agree...
its got that original half life speed and stunning moments that hl had as well. im fkn amazed at the levels and the way you can approach each mission a million different ways.

The graphics are pretty good and the game overall LOOKS great BUT the mouse movement is "strange" and maybe laggy i guess?

It felt that way for me too until I played around the the AF and upped the FPS. Then it was smooth as silk.

I tried playing the demo, but it crashed and froze my system right before it loaded the level (demo 2). :mad:

Originally posted by Staples
Well D3 pictures looked totally impressive years ago but since it is taking so long for it to come out, it will not be that impressive overall. It still looks better then Farcry but not much. D3 will still probably hold its own for lighting for a while but Farcry's models and environments are catching up really quickly.

Exactly. And I don´t see Doom 3 having such great outdoors as Far Cry. But that the ID engines never has been good at. Doom 3 will probably be quite limited in term of locations.

And though it looked impressive years ago that was years ago really. Of course it will still look impressive but since it´s delayed other games has caught up with them so there will be no major breakthrough.

Exactly. And I don´t see Doom 3 having such great outdoors as Far Cry. But that the ID engines never has been good at. Doom 3 will probably be quite limited in term of locations.

DOOM3 won't have outdoors PERIOD. Is this so fucking hard to grasp? The game sets on Mars. Outdoors on Mars = YOU DIE LIKE ASS.

It really is a simple concept. D3 takes place indoors. Therefore, the engine isn't made to handle green watery paradise island [oh ya, don't you people watch the NASA channel, Mars is like a fucking vacation spot complete with spa, cheap hookers, and hellspawn from hell trying to eat your steaming entrails].

Originally posted by Vagrant Zero
DOOM3 won't have outdoors PERIOD. Is this so fucking hard to grasp? The game sets on Mars. Outdoors on Mars = YOU DIE LIKE ASS.

It really is a simple concept. D3 takes place indoors. Therefore, the engine isn't made to handle green watery paradise island [oh ya, don't you people watch the NASA channel, Mars is like a fucking vacation spot complete with spa, cheap hookers, and hellspawn from hell trying to eat your steaming entrails].

Don´t you know what Doom 3 is? It´s primarily a graphics engine and secondary a pc game. It´s engine will be licensed by many publishers as well as the Unreal Engine thus they won´t limit it to only indoor environments. Do all Quake 3 based games occure indoors?

But that is just the reason why Far Cry is probably the better and more versatile engine. It produces both awesome in and out door environments. How the Doom 3 engine copes with that is yet to see. The source engine don´t seem to have any trouble with outdoors from what I can tell though ;)

Back