Third Build

Ripbrood

Limp Gawd
Just getting back into the pc games again so decided to build my third one.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, Flight Simulator X, BF3 and Empire earth. Web Browsing
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1100 Shipping included
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
USA Denver, CO,
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Ram, PS, HD, Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard, Video Card
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Case-HAF 922, Processor-AMD FX-4100. Mobo-Biostar 990FX Amd 3+
6) Will you be overclocking?
No
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
None
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the month
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Basic setup, Crossfire for future. Sata 6gbs
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Currently have :

Case

Processor

Motherboard

Updated Ram

Looking at:

Power Supply

Video Card

Hard Drive

Cooler

Monitor

Last edited:
I see one potential issue with that build:

The RAM's heatsinks are tall enough to interfere with the proper installation of the CPU cooler, especially if the RAM slot that's closest to the CPU socket is close enough to actually be located underneath the CPU fan or the CPU cooler's heatsink itself (depending on the cooler). If this is the case, you will need RAM that does not have such tall heatsinks.

Ok thanks very much for your input. I will look for the ram then in different size either heatsink or none with extra cooling on it.
This be any better?

Ram

I concur with E4g1e that the RAM's heatsinks are too tall. So go for this Corsair RAM instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186

That PSU is total overkill even if you were going for HD 7970 Crossfire. This PSU will be enough even for your Crossfire needs:
$90 - Corsair 650TX V2 650W PSU

GPU wise, the HD 7770 is a bit too weak for the kind of gaming you're planning on doing. I recommend going for at least the HD 7850 2GB.

Danny_Bui Thanks for your help on this just trying to get everything correct. What would you recommend for the Radeon HD 6XXX series if so ? I want to do crossfire as to why I was looking at the 850 W for future. If the 650 w can handle crossfire I would be all up for it.

Danny_Bui Thanks for your help on this just trying to get everything correct. What would you recommend for the Radeon HD 6XXX series if so ?
I'd only recommend the HD 6950 if it was around $200 to $220. But I'd still recommend the HD 7850 over the 6950 since the 7850 will have a longer driver support lifetime than the 6950. The HD 6870 would be an ok choice if you're on a tighter budget and can deal with medium settings with BF3.
I want to do crossfire as to why I was looking at the 850 W for future. If the 650 w can handle crossfire I would be all up for it.
The Corsair TX650 V2 should be capable of handling HD 7850 CF. However for higher than that, I'd recommend the Crosair TX750 V2.

Thanks again Danny_Bui I very much respect your opinion and advice on this. Choosing a GPU always seems to be my hardest decision when actually doing a build. I will look into the HD 7850 card as well as the power supplies you have recommended. I have never overclocked so have no idea on how to do that as it may be in the future along with water cooling but nothing right off the bat here. Also ordered the Ram that will work better with my setup just now.

Last edited:
Alright so hooking everything up feels like being a rookie again. I do have a few questions. Been reading the motherboard book as well. My case has 3 fans already. So into the motherboard where do they plug as I have cpu fan 1 to my cpu cooler and 2 remaining with 3 fans? Also is the AC '97 needed or just the hd audio can be plugged in? I have molex connectors male and female on the fan wiring as well so trying to get this all figured out again. Thanks

My Board:
Biostar

Last edited:
My case has 3 fans already. So into the motherboard where do they plug as I have cpu fan 1 to my cpu cooler and 2 remaining with 3 fans?...... I have molex connectors male and female on the fan wiring as well so trying to get this all figured out again. Thanks
Hook up the 200mm fans to the motherboard's onboard fan headers and the last fan via molex.
Also is the AC '97 needed or just the hd audio can be plugged in?
HD audio will be fine.

Thanks a lot Danny_Bui been awhile and long day here so brain kinda fried. Haha. One last question on the front header connectors where the Speaker Connector 12 Power LED (+) then Hard Drive 13 Power LED (+) 14 Power LED (-) I am only seeing 2 connectors for that, is that normal or am I missing a step here as well ?

Thanks a lot Danny_Bui been awhile and long day here so brain kinda fried. Haha. One last question on the front header connectors where the Speaker Connector 12 Power LED (+) then Hard Drive 13 Power LED (+) 14 Power LED (-) I am only seeing 2 connectors for that, is that normal or am I missing a step here as well ?
Read the manual again: the HDD LED is 5 and 6, not 13.

Sorry meant Power LED. 13 Power Led + and 14 Power Led -. With those 2 connected leaves one open so having trouble with that.

If I'm understanding correctly, that should be fine.

Yes as I was seeing there were no other connectors it just leaves it open, I just wanted to make sure and can not find anywhere else on there for another wire to go in. Thanks a bunch almost ready to finish it now. Just want to make sure I get it right the first time.

Alright getting everything up hoping for the best cable management I can with this case. So far here is what I have gotten done, on and off breaks of course lol.
2012-06-04_22-01-41_183.jpg

Dumb question but when you go out building your computer, whats a good order to go in? Assuming the nothing will block the motherboard, should the mobo be put in last?

Myself I like to mount power supply first so I can route cables. Then put everything onto motherboard such as processor, ram, after market cooler, video card and any extras. Then mount mother board. Then i install hard drive and DVD drive. So all cables can be routed.

So like to thank Danny_Bui for all your help in this, the build is up and running no issues with any of the hardware all booted just fine. Running at 4.4Ghz with CM 212 and my ac is real close and always on my comp room stays about 55F. The question I have is the stock fans and cm212 fan, any way I can adjust the fan speed on it, Prime95 tests still show I am at 31c under load but looking at the fans they barely moving. Got the Radeon HD 7770 for now and it is overclocked, did real well on Heaven DX 11 will post a benchmark on it as well here soon.

Maybe look in the BIOs or something. Though 31C under load is bloody good.

Yeah, you should be able to adjust the fan speed via BIOS (it will be CPU_FAN or CPU_FAN1 or something like that). Also note that 55F (around 13C!) ambient is positively frigid so 31C load makes a little more sense, although still REALLY impressive :)

Ya that is what happens when you live like ice man. AC sits next to me and I turn it on when I use computer. So always cold there. I will look into the BIOS. The uefi is real new to me so got to learn it. Heaven benchmark was 45.6 fps and 1148 score on my setup, if that is good but seemed decent.

If the UEFI BIOS is a pain programs like SpeedFan (google it) should work as well. Up to you.

EDIT: I should mention, 45.6fps doesn't tell us anything without us knowing about your resolution/tesselation/AA/etc. settings. However, if you are happy with in game performance for whatever you use it for, then you are golden. I get the impression it is doing you nicely so grats :)

Last edited:
Thanks it is at 1920x1080. Tessellation was light aa x 4. Very satisfied with it.

Figured I would post in current thread as is. I am using amd overdrive and ran a stability test on cpu0, cpu1, cpu2 and cpu3. Cpu0 max was 2.81527. Cpu1 max was 2.81127. Cpu2 max was 2.94325 and cpu3 max was 1.49173. Now on the last one is that showing that it is not putting out everything it should. Like a problem with the processor ? Need some help on this or if I can run a program to make sure all our working properly please. Done via amd overdrive.

Last edited:
Back