Thinking of getting a Ryzen 1700

Kato1144

Limp Gawd
I started a post on the intel forum listing off some intle CPU's I was considering https://hardforum.com/threads/haswell-e-broadwell-e-or-kaby-lake.1926451/ I was initially going to go for the 1800x but I found from the reviews of others it was really a hot chip and it was a weak overclocker at least right now I don't know if that will change over time, anyway as more ppl started reviewing the 1700x and the 1700 the picture has become clearer for at least the 1700 non x, I see this chip hitting 3.8-3.9GHz getting just behind the 4.0GHz max the others are hitting and it is right there with almost half the temps as a 1800x at 4.0GHz.

So sinve I have not go off and bought a system yet as I'm still deciding I would like to know how you guys and gals who have gotten there hands on said CPU's how is you experience with it as a overclocking chip, are you hitting ok clocks at reasonable v-core or are the overclock's I'm seeing not suitable for 24/7 uses. As far as the gaming performance is so far that also kinda turned me off at first until I look at the numbers and since I'm going 1080p gaming at 60fps max I'm probably not going to notice losing 20FPS in the 200+fps range and for me personally I can't really play high intensity multiplayer games the benefit from high refresh rate monitors so FPS over 60 is non consequential to me.

What do you guys think of your Ryzen CPU's I know the memory is having issues reaching proper speeds and the chipset need more time for updates and optimization but I can deal with that, the platform look more then usable in most cases as long as the MOBD is working. With that I would just like to add I'm looking at getting a Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 5, it is literally the only X370 board I can get all others are sold out and I'm thinking of paring it with some G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (16GB x 2) for the tighter timings, not sure if this mem will work out of the box might need to get something else.

Also just for context this is the post I made about my upgrade speculations on the intel side, this should explain further why I'm thinking about a Ryzen CPU and don't really want to get a 4core Kaby Lake or deal with the some what confusing Haswell-e/Broadwell-e question.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your opinions :)

I have been on my i7 2600K since 2011 I think, can't quite remember anyway she is starting to show her age in modern titles like Hitman and fallout 4 as examples, in order to make said games playable I had to cap there fps to 30 and 50fps respectively, anyway before some one tells me to hit 4.5GHz and wait till something better comes down the pipe line my chip won't get stable clocks past 4.2GHz with HT off, I even tried pushing the v-core to 1.35v for 4.3GHz+ Clock and it was just not at all stable, I have been running a 4.2GHz overclock at 1.25v with HT off using a P8Z68 Deluxe since mid 2012 and it has worked very well. Unfortunately the chip is just not up to task at it once was and it's not like I'm doing 4K gaming the CPU is bottle necking in 1080p gaming and GPU power has nothing to do about it(using a GTX 1070), the facts are modern day CPU physics are getting beyond my CPU capability and it is only going to get more apparent as time goes on so I would like to start looking in to a major system upgrade.

Now I'm thinking of going for a intel build again and holy **** the intel builds have really gone up in price hey but at least they kept that performance at a steady paced :p . Anyway I'm looking at getting a CPU that is going to last for more then a year or 2 as I can't upgrade again for a long time probably another 5 years give or take, I wanted to get a 6core Broadwell-e Unlocked CPU and give it a decent overclock when I was looking in this direction I noticed the overclocking seemed weak for a lot of ppl and some one mentioned the Haswell-e was a better at overclocking I need to look more in to this but I was immediately turned off of going Haswell-e as they are older tech and almost the same price at the Broadwell-e equivalent so that is my first question is a 6850k going to hold out longer then say a 5930k or does the 5930k have superior performance when overclocked even thought it is a much older chip and it is still worth the heavy price tag, even though I mostly do gaming I am seriously thinking about a 6core or more CPU for future proofing as is is apparent newer titles are going to expect more cores and threads to use.

Now about the Kaby Lake, I hear there was high expectations for this chip that fell short of some expectation and I would not really consider this chip except for one fact: 7700k at 5.0GHz now that is a modern day clock speed if you ask me and I would be all for this chip if it was not for the 4core/8thread setup, to me it looks like this chip is going to be great for gaming right now and probably well in to 2018-19 but sooner or later having only 4core/8thread setups are going to be at a disadvantage when higher levels of multi threading will be utilized were already starting to see in right now and if it were not for the 7700k's blistering clock speed I don't think it would really be much of a contender but I can't ignore that sweet 5.0GHz overclock and its much more friendly price point, now I just want to know how you guys feel about the longevity of this CPU, is it like I say only good for a year or 2, or am I wrong and she is as good as my Sandy Bridge when I got her way back when.

Now that I got all my intel options out of the way there is one last contender and that is the AMD 1700 non X, I seen some early overclocking on that CPU and it is running much cooler then the X chips and the same or almost the same clock speeds, I think a 1700 with SMT disabled at 3.9 to 4.0GHz might be the way to go especially as I do want more cores, the big hurdle here is the early adoption issues and there is still some unknowns with this CPU's performance as far as gaming goes, some are saying updates and optimization will make things better and others are saying this is as good as its going to get (and it is pretty dam good considering bulldozer) with that said I'm hoping the Ryzen chips can gain a few more MHz with better BIOS updates and optimization and the fact the 1700 runs much cooler then the others it might even be able to hit higher clocks like 4.3-4.5 but that is just wishful thinking at this point and only time will tell. So what do you guys think please let me know, thanks. :)

The chip is good for 3.8-4.0Ghz depending on on far you are willing to push it; I would really call it a 3.8GHz processor as far as overclocking is concerned; buying one expecting to hit 4.0 may end in disappointment (it is unclear, we don't have enough data points and different people have different ways of measuring stability). I was able to do 3.9GHz at volts and temps perfectly sustainable for everyday use, and I would almost promise 3.8GHz is attainable at very reasonable voltages.

The platform definitely needs a month or two to mature, right now it is difficult to even read the multiplier or temperature of a Ryzen processor with third-party tools.

What we really can't give you right now is a picture of how pleasant and consistent the platform is for day-to-day use. I picked mine up on release day for the purposes of benchmarking, and heaven't actually used it outside of that, and other folks have just begun getting their hardware.

I'm thinking a 3.8GHz clock is well with in reasonable a 3.9 would be nice and a sold 4.0GHz would be golden but you might be a the cost of pushing the V-core to much, as for testing every day use there is only one way to go about it and that to use it as your main PC. I'm reading alot of post hear to get some perspective and it seems the options can be quite polarized depending on what ppl consider more important clock speeds or core count. I still see the 1700 as a good chip the gaming performance is not at all bad and i have heard ppl say it has better lower FPS averages then some intel chip that beat it in the overall average and for me that is kinda what i want to see I cant stand stutter, games that stutter on my PC get tweaked to work or I don't play them... Anyway the jury is still out on getting Ryzen 1700 for my self but I can't say I'm not compelled, some one would have to make a real strong argument for me not to get Ryzen and go with a intel alternative at this point.

I'm almost 100% on doing this, the more i watch and read reviews the more Ryzen appeals to me, I bumped my thread on the intel forum to see if there are any valid arguments for the 99X platform as I have already taken Kaby Lake compleatly off the table at this point and if Haswell-e and Broadwell-e don't get a compelling argument they are off the table too and if that is the case witch it looks like at this point I guess it comes down to should i just get the 1700 or go for the 1700x and is there a hybrid TEC cooler for the AM4 platform or can be adapted for the AM4 Platform I have 2 cooler master V10's and they are way better then any AIO cooler or heat pipe cooler i have ever used.

I'm almost 100% on doing this, the more i watch and read reviews the more Ryzen appeals to me, I bumped my thread on the intel forum to see if there are any valid arguments for the 99X platform as I have already taken Kaby Lake compleatly off the table at this point and if Haswell-e and Broadwell-e don't get a compelling argument they are off the table too and if that is the case witch it looks like at this point I guess it comes down to should i just get the 1700 or go for the 1700x and is there a hybrid TEC cooler for the AM4 platform or can be adapted for the AM4 Platform I have 2 cooler master V10's and they are way better then any AIO cooler or heat pipe cooler i have ever used.

I don't see the V10 listed http://www.coolermaster.com/we-are-ready-for-your-am4-socket/ they might choose not to compete with themselves by servicing such an old cooler. Would it even have enough clearance for the ram modules?

I have a similar question between the 1700 and the 1700x. They have the 1700x on ebay for $20 cheaper making it a $50 difference from the 1700. This deal was listed in slickdeals. My big question is does the tdp make a difference. The 1700 is 65W and the 1700X is 95W. Does this work for or against the 1700? Can you pull better clocks on less voltage or does it hurt it's potential because you can't feed it as much power/heat as the 1700x? Is the 1700 more efficient since it has a lower tdp?

My other concern would be that some motherboard are having issues.

Last edited:
I don't see the V10 listed http://www.coolermaster.com/we-are-ready-for-your-am4-socket/ they might choose not to compete with themselves by servicing such an old cooler. Would it even have enough clearance for the ram modules?

I have a similar question between the 1700 and the 1700x. They have the 1700x on ebay for $20 cheaper making it a $50 difference from the 1700. This deal was listed in slickdeals. My big question is does the tdp make a difference. The 1700 is 65W and the 1700X is 95W. Does this work for or against the 1700? Can you pull better clocks on less voltage or does it hurt it's potential because you can't feed it as much power/heat as the 1700x? Is the 1700 more efficient since it has a lower tdp?

My other concern would be that some motherboard are having issues.

My asus B350M-A 299x mhz memory, 3.7ghz R7 1700 stable in 5 minutes of small tests and settings, on a Scythe Big Shuriken rev B\V2 with passive cooling with 600 rpm on noctua 100 mm fan...
So Quiet!!!

My concern is quiet and reliability over any max performance.

I still can't get over people being happy "trying" to get 3.8-3.9ghz. That is just weak sauce to me considering 6 core and 8 core Intel chips since ivy bridge were pushing 4.3-4.5ghz. Any modern chip nowadays that can't get into the mid to low 4ghz is utter crap. Just put out the couple hundred dollars more and get the Intel or wait for the issues to be worked out. This chip should not perform this poorly so I think windows and BIOS updates are needed.

Last edited:
I still can't get over people being happy "trying" to get 3.8-3.9ghz. That is just weak sauce to me considering 6 core and 8 core Intel chips since ivy bridge were pushing 4.3-4.5ghz. Any modern chip nowadays that can't get into the mid to low 4ghz is utter crap. Just put out the couple hundred dollars more and get the Intel or wait for the issues to be worked out. This chip should not perform this poorly so I think windows and BIOS updates are needed.

"This one goes to 4.5GHz"

"But is it actually faster than this one is when it's at 3.9GHz?"

"... This one goes to 4.5GHz"

Don't listen to the naysayers. I have my 1700 at 4044Mhz with 1.42v. I have the Asus CH6, and Vengence LED 3200. Even with the issues with Windows and BIOS, my system right now is kicking but in BF1, Doom 4, etc.

"This one goes to 4.5GHz"

"But is it actually faster than this one is when it's at 3.9GHz?"

"... This one goes to 4.5GHz"

I understand ivy bridge has lower IPC. Comparing it directly to haswell and broadwell and it falls way short on clock speed. I know ryzen does great at multitasking threaded stuff for an 8 core, however so does the 6800k which also games much better. The 6900k is even better but also way overpriced right now. 1080p gaming on ryzen is pathetic for a 2017 chip considering Intel is still beating them with 2015 chips but I think it's because of the windows and BIOS issues holding them back. I'm not totally giving up on ryzen. If the issues are worked out then I will consider but probably won't decide until this summer once Skylake X launches.

I understand ivy bridge has lower IPC. Comparing it directly to haswell and broadwell and it falls way short on clock speed. I know ryzen does great at multitasking threaded stuff for an 8 core, however so does the 6800k which also games much better. The 6900k is even better but also way overpriced right now. 1080p gaming on ryzen is pathetic for a 2017 chip considering Intel is still beating them with 2015 chips but I think it's because of the windows and BIOS issues holding them back. I'm not totally giving up on ryzen. If the issues are worked out then I will consider but probably won't decide until this summer once Skylake X launches.

Does anyone here actually game on 1080p with low quality settings on a GTX1080 or higher?

Point is talking about things like clockspeed or IPC is kind of pointless, the real question is does the CPU properly fit the needs of the person buying it. The 6800K might be as good or better in current games, and my guess is for people that don't do the bizarre benchmarking dance of gaming at 720p with low settings the 6800K and Ryzen will be virtually indistinguishable for gaming, but for anyone that wants to do anything other than gaming the Ryzen will be better than the 6800K, and for the price to step up to the 6900K someone could go from putting a GTX1050 in the system with their 6900K to putting a GTX1080Ti in the system with the Ryzen.

I'm happy with sub 95 W 3.7ghz, Intel doesn't do that for allcore 8 and Intel system will cost 2X more than my current 1700.
Yes I also have an Intel - 2680 xeon.

Gaming is 8th down on my list of "importance" and a lot of users have it like this, those Users who buy 8 cores or more.
The 1700 at stock still pulls gaming without a Hazzle

the real question is does the CPU properly fit the needs of the person buying it.

^^^ This

I wouldn't buy an 8 wheel tonka truck to compete with a little race car on a quarter mile straight away.

AMD introduced a chip that fit right in between a professional and a gamer.. note I put an "and" in there to denote someone who works on their PC and also games, not someone who gets paid to game, and priced it quite remarkably.

Now if they can just get all the damn bugs out of the mobo and OS and I'll be ordering.

My 8 core intel was a lot cheaper then my Ryzen, but the intel is locked at a low clock speed. I am really happy with my Ryzen chip, but i like the X99 platform better. Bigger / better motherboard options, quad channel ddr4. My asrock x99 extreme4 was $126 from newegg new after $20 rebate. in the few benchmarks ive compared, my ryzen stomps my xeon

^^^ This
I wouldn't buy an 8 wheel tonka truck to compete with a little race car on a quarter mile straight away.
AMD introduced a chip that fit right in between a professional and a gamer.. note I put an "and" in there to denote someone who works on their PC and also games, not someone who gets paid to game, and priced it quite remarkably.
Now if they can just get all the damn bugs out of the mobo and OS and I'll be ordering.
b350M asus boards are flawless it seems.
Heard of a lot of people with the crosshair having Issues.

GamersNexus said in in his review of the said AMD CPU that it is the best in terms of price to performance. That being said, you're not going to be overclocking this pretty high (at least, for now). But, I would say, go for it man. This chip is promising. You just need to wait for a couple of months until everything gets patched up to take advantage of this new CPU.

b350M asus boards are flawless it seems.
Heard of a lot of people with the crosshair having Issues.

I'm still hearing some issues with dd4 at 3200. I have a set of 32GB Corsair LPXs waiting on the countertop waiting to be used lol.

Are you saying the extra 400-600MHz is worth a extra 700$ (I'm including the estimated cost of the chip and MOBD) I don't know if the performance gains are there per $, form were I'm siting it looks to me like you telling me to go intel so I can get a slightly better clock, there is nothing weak sauce about sub 4GHz clock when were talking about a 8c CPU, it's just common senses that your going to have more frequency limits when there are more cores to run, anyway if you can show me there is a large enough disparity in numbers with the opposing chips at there max stable overclock I would like to see that to help build more context.

I have been comparing directly to Haswell-e and Broadwell-e and the clock speeds are not to far off from each other not including overclocking but like i said before the disparity does to me anyway not seem that great. As for 1080p gaming Ryzen is not pathetic at all, that is really a stretch to even say that , all the benchmarks i seen have put Ryzen next to or above Haswell-e and Broadwell-e in games and when Ryzen dose fall behind intel's offerings it's only by a hand full of frames except in some rare instances, if you have number to dispute this please post them as I'm ever so curious. As far as I can see right now Ryzen is more then good enough for 1080p gaming @60 fps and in a lot of games it has better minimum frames then intel's offerings and that is important to me.

Going Forward if you think the 6800K is the direction I should strive for please convince me with hard numbers not just saying it wont hit a certain frequency it's "weak sauce" or saying that because it is not the king of max and average FPS it's pathetic for gaming as fear tactics and hear say will do little to sway me.

thanks for all the commits guys every post bring me closer to a final decision on my future PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still hearing some issues with dd4 at 3200. I have a set of 32GB Corsair LPXs waiting on the countertop waiting to be used lol.

The benefit isn't there, why bother ? just settle with 299x mhz and enjoy exactly the same performance as 3200mhz currently, when it's fixed or if just run 3200 mhz then ?
It doesn't prevent anything from working

Enjoy the frame counter. I think you enjoy knowing you get 130 frames vs 120 and the rest doesn't matter. Lol. Yea "not as fast" might be better term but it's indistinguishable but it's far from pathetic. When people come out and say shit like that its just to scare people in to buyng what you want. May be the OP is not interest in the fame counter as you but all he Cares about is great overall experience. Now there is nothing wrong with him getting Intel or getting amd.

Try again it's more like 4.0-4.1 for Ryzen. Intel 8 core chips are 4.3 max stable check out reviews. Unless you got that golden sample you run at 4.5. Heck my 6 core 6850 hits a wall at 4.4.

Are you saying the extra 400-600MHz is worth a extra 700$ (I'm including the estimated cost of the chip and MOBD) I don't know if the performance gains are there per $, form were I'm siting it looks to me like you telling me to go intel so I can get a slightly better clock, there is nothing weak sauce about sub 4GHz clock when were talking about a 8c CPU, it's just common senses that your going to have more frequency limits when there are more cores to run, anyway if you can show me there is a large enough disparity in numbers with the opposing chips at there max stable overclock I would like to see that to help build more context.

I have been comparing directly to Haswell-e and Broadwell-e and the clock speeds are not to far off from each other not including overclocking but like i said before the disparity does to me anyway not seem that great. As for 1080p gaming Ryzen is not pathetic at all, that is really a stretch to even say that , all the benchmarks i seen have put Ryzen next to or above Haswell-e and Broadwell-e in games and when Ryzen dose fall behind intel's offerings it's only by a hand full of frames except in some rare instances, if you have number to dispute this please post them as I'm ever so curious. As far as I can see right now Ryzen is more then good enough for 1080p gaming @60 fps and in a lot of games it has better minimum frames then intel's offerings and that is important to me.

Going Forward if you think the 6800K is the direction I should strive for please convince me with hard numbers not just saying it wont hit a certain frequency it's "weak sauce" or saying that because it is not the king of max and average FPS it's pathetic for gaming as fear tactics and hear say will do little to sway me.

thanks for all the commits guys every post bring me closer to a final decision on my future PC.

I guess I shouldn't say pathetic but not what I expected. I think using DDR4 3200 increases the performance a good margin in some games. I guess I am being picky. I game at 1440p so I don't think Ryzen would be an issue for me. I'm just put off by the memory and BIOS issues right now.

Reactions: NKD
like this
ya the memory issues are a little off putting but i think i can manage, as for the BIOS issues they should be smoothed out over time and that might even improve overclocking but it's not set in stone so i have to go off the performance now if i want to do this soon, as it stands the performance right now is more than acceptable for me and the price is hard to argue with unless you comparing it to kaby lake but i personally don't think that is a fair comparison as kaby lake and Ryzen are kinda in opposing classes and as i said before I think kaby lake is a place holder CPU with a life span of 2-3 years max for high end gaming (this is just my opinion of kaby lake so take it with a grain of salt) , kaby lake-x might change that but right now it is not nearly as appealing.

anyway thanks again for the feed back Nirad9er it's always appreciated

Good thing about AM4 is the upgrade path. Let this memory, BIOS, and gaming issues (windows related?) work themselves out and before you know it Zen+ or whatever it'll be called will be out only requiring a CPU swap. You can't do that on Intel right now since 2011-v3 is getting replaced. We'll need to wait for lga2066 / Skylake-X to have an upgrade path with CPU.

Excellent point AMD have already confirmed the X370's will be supported with BIOS updates making the AM4 platform much more flexible then intel's offering ATM, hopefully intel start's holding on to sockets a little longer, there is nothing wrong with updating a platform over a generation but you can do that with using a older socket and bring the older chip sets up to speed as best as possible, ya you might not get the features and some extra performance gain with using a older MOBD with a new chip but for most ppl just having the extra bit of raw power is more then worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doing this, getting on newegg right now to get the parts ordered, any suggestions for coolers for the 1700 or 1700x still have not made up my mind on that... damit

i have a 1700 and i really like the cooler it shipped with. its very quiet and im not having any trouble running it at 3.7ghz @ 1.275V.

I really wanted the asrock taichi but microcenter only had the asus b350 prime in stock. With bios update from 2/28 i have no problem getting my ddr4 3000 cl15 to register correctly.

getting G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GBx2 kit 14-14-14-34, hope it is some what compatible, also the Gigabyte GA-AX370-GAMING 5 is on back order on new egg but it's the only X370 board avalible to me hopefully is does not take a eternity to get to me but should i get a cheap B350 board as a place holder?

it is done!!!!! I will just wait for my X370 board if it takes more then 2 weeks to get here I might just get a B350 to get the show on the road... and i forgot to buy the DDR 4 F***! that just cost my 9$ in shipping to send the mem on a separate order

it is done!!!!! I will just wait for my X370 board if it takes more then 2 weeks to get here I might just get a B350 to get the show on the road... and i forgot to buy the DDR 4 F***! that just cost my 9$ in shipping to send the mem on a separate order

Very nice! Congrats you will love it. I think you can contact Newegg/Amazon have them ship it together and get credit for shipping.

9$ is not going to break me so I'm just going to deal with it and hope the MOBD get here at a reasonable time... anyway this is what im getting

G.Skill Ripjaws V series 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz 14-14-14-34
R7 1700
Gigabyte GA-AX370-GAMING
CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 120 AIO cooler (i was the only AM4 ready cooler i could get right now)
Gelid GC-Extream Thermal Compound
Corsaor M.2 2280 480GB PCI-Express 3.0 4x
intel 540s 1TB SSD
Corsair RM750x PSU 750Watts
Thermaltake View 31 Dual Tempered Glass ATX case
Windows 10 Pro OEM (was going to get home edition but i thought home edition was not [H] enough)

it is built and i have pics of the build for those who care

All the Beautiful boxes
20170314_140159.jpg

20170316_125837.jpg

this is when i should have powered the board with the stock cooler for the first time but i did not
20170316_140200.jpg

20170316_145246.jpg

as you can see this case is designed for a water cooling setup but I'm not doing that (I got this on 76$ off) unfortunately there is only three 3.5" bays and I want to mount three 3.5" HDD and two 2.5" SSD's

so i had to be creative and mount the SSD's to the bottom of the 3.5" HDD bays, it worked out pretty good

20170316_160345.jpg

20170316_160543.jpg

at this point I was stopped by my own foolishness of not checking thing before you install them, after a day of grief i was back on track

20170317_123217.jpg

I had to caniblaize three 2TB 7200RPM HDD's and my ASUS ROG GTX 1070, this is what was left of my old messy sandy bridge system

20170317_142509.jpg

in the HDD's go

20170317_154338.jpg

20170317_160746.jpg

and finally, Ryzen

still getting everything restored, so for it is pretty fast will know more in the coming days, this is my main PC and i will be using it for general use

hey just want to ask quickly my NVME drive is reporting idle temps of 70-80 oC, I read that it has a operating temp of up to 125 oC but is 80oC normal or is it too hot, I'm not sure how I would cool it as it is behind my 1070 unless i moved it to a PCI-e 8X slot. any suggestions will be appreciated.

hey just want to ask quickly my NVME drive is reporting idle temps of 70-80 oC, I read that it has a operating temp of up to 125 oC but is 80oC normal or is it too hot, I'm not sure how I would cool it as it is behind my 1070 unless i moved it to a PCI-e 8X slot. any suggestions will be appreciated.

You can take a VRM heatsink off one of your old boards and ziptie it, just make sure the thermal pad is in good shape, I did the same thing for a client, had to grind it done a bit tho, real ghetto like, or snag a 80mm fan to blow on it like a spot fan.

ohh i like that idea I think i have a sub 80mm fan kicking around, if not I can get one tomorrow

I have used some doubled sided tape to stick a 50mm fan right under my 1070 to blow air over it and it drop to a 50-60 Oc idle temp, I have ordered a 25mm fan to get in there better and provide better air flow, I will see if this had better or worse gains, thanks for the quick thinking CAD4466HK, i thought about using a heat sink but there is less then a 1/2" on either side of the NVME with my 1070 right up next to it, it's almost like the MOBD manufacture should have placed the NVME slot some were with more air flow not right under the PCI-e 16x slot but thats just me

Back