Haswell-e, Broadwell-e or Kaby Lake

Kato1144

Limp Gawd
I have been on my i7 2600K since 2011 I think, can't quite remember anyway she is starting to show her age in modern titles like Hitman and fallout 4 as examples, in order to make said games playable I had to cap there fps to 30 and 50fps respectively, anyway before some one tells me to hit 4.5GHz and wait till something better comes down the pipe line my chip won't get stable clocks past 4.2GHz with HT off, I even tried pushing the v-core to 1.35v for 4.3GHz+ Clock and it was just not at all stable, I have been running a 4.2GHz overclock at 1.25v with HT off using a P8Z68 Deluxe since mid 2012 and it has worked very well. Unfortunately the chip is just not up to task at it once was and it's not like I'm doing 4K gaming the CPU is bottle necking in 1080p gaming and GPU power has nothing to do about it(using a GTX 1070), the facts are modern day CPU physics are getting beyond my CPU capability and it is only going to get more apparent as time goes on so I would like to start looking in to a major system upgrade.

Now I'm thinking of going for a intel build again and holy **** the intel builds have really gone up in price hey but at least they kept that performance at a steady paced :p . Anyway I'm looking at getting a CPU that is going to last for more then a year or 2 as I can't upgrade again for a long time probably another 5 years give or take, I wanted to get a 6core Broadwell-e Unlocked CPU and give it a decent overclock when I was looking in this direction I noticed the overclocking seemed weak for a lot of ppl and some one mentioned the Haswell-e was a better at overclocking I need to look more in to this but I was immediately turned off of going Haswell-e as they are older tech and almost the same price at the Broadwell-e equivalent so that is my first question is a 6850k going to hold out longer then say a 5930k or does the 5930k have superior performance when overclocked even thought it is a much older chip and it is still worth the heavy price tag, even though I mostly do gaming I am seriously thinking about a 6core or more CPU for future proofing as is is apparent newer titles are going to expect more cores and threads to use.

Now about the Kaby Lake, I hear there was high expectations for this chip that fell short of some expectation and I would not really consider this chip except for one fact: 7700k at 5.0GHz now that is a modern day clock speed if you ask me and I would be all for this chip if it was not for the 4core/8thread setup, to me it looks like this chip is going to be great for gaming right now and probably well in to 2018-19 but sooner or later having only 4core/8thread setups are going to be at a disadvantage when higher levels of multi threading will be utilized were already starting to see in right now and if it were not for the 7700k's blistering clock speed I don't think it would really be much of a contender but I can't ignore that sweet 5.0GHz overclock and its much more friendly price point, now I just want to know how you guys feel about the longevity of this CPU, is it like I say only good for a year or 2, or am I wrong and she is as good as my Sandy Bridge when I got her way back when.

Now that I got all my intel options out of the way there is one last contender and that is the AMD 1700 non X, I seen some early overclocking on that CPU and it is running much cooler then the X chips and the same or almost the same clock speeds, I think a 1700 with SMT disabled at 3.9 to 4.0GHz might be the way to go especially as I do want more cores, the big hurdle here is the early adoption issues and there is still some unknowns with this CPU's performance as far as gaming goes, some are saying updates and optimization will make things better and others are saying this is as good as its going to get (and it is pretty dam good considering bulldozer) with that said I'm hoping the Ryzen chips can gain a few more MHz with better BIOS updates and optimization and the fact the 1700 runs much cooler then the others it might even be able to hit higher clocks like 4.3-4.5 but that is just wishful thinking at this point and only time will tell. So what do you guys think please let me know, thanks. :)

i7 2600K HT off 4.2GHz 1.25v

16GB DDR 3 800Mhz 10-10-10-30-39 1:6 ratio

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe

Asus ROG Stix GTX 1070 8GB OC

windows 10 64x on a 120GB intel 2nd gen SSD

Three 2TB HHD

Blueray Drive

1200watt Antec platinum PSU (I used to run three 6850HD vid cards in tri fire and that required a lot of power)

I'm no longer considering kaby lake, I can't justify getting kaby lake as I'm almost 100% sure the 4c/8t cpu's will hit a staggering wall in 2-3 years unless we smash the 5GHz barrier and i think that will happen but not with silicon at least not the way were currently using it and before some one tells me just to upgrade in the 2-3 period I most likely wont be able to afford another major system update for at least 5-8 years so what i do now will have to last. with that said I'm really convinced on the R7 1700 is the way i want to go, if any one has a valid argument in favor of Broadwell-e or Haswell-e over Ryzen pls let me know soon as I most likely will be making up my mind real soon.

just for some context i will be mostly gaming at 1080p 60FPS probably for that said 5-8 year period I really doubt I will go up to 4k if I can upgrade my vid card 3 years or so from now witch is a major if, but right now 1080p @ 60fps is plenty for me and all I care about is good minimum FPS, I'm not doing super fast twitch style multiplayer as I have physical limits that make such gaming nearly impossible for me (my hands and mind are slowed by medication i take so my response in most cases is sub par when it comes to intense multiplayer) and of course as i said before hand a major platform upgrade 2-3 years from now is going to be completely out of the question so it's do or die time soon if anyone has any valid argument for the intel side let it be heard or forever hold your peace :p

Back