Thinking about going SFF for the next rig, but I have my doubts....

Kuyt

Gawd
I'm really thinking of getting a Qpack or Microfly for the next comp, but I'm so afraid about noise levels. Is it that bad, and can it come close to that of a desktop?

Also, Qpack / Microfly / Qmicra / Shuttle users, will you ever switch back? Are you satisfied with your purchases?

I have a microfly and love it. I have had cases that range in size from SFF to full tower server cases and this is by far my favorite. As far as noise goes, they are difficult to water cool, but the small volume means you don't have to move as much air to cool components. I really like the Noctua fans for my case. They move plenty of air and are very very quiet. Also the way the case is laid out, all of the warm components have a fan within a couple of inches. The only way I'll ever go back is if I decide to build a totally water cooled pc with SLI/crossfire and I may still try to stay SFF. I'd say go for it. They're fun to build, look cool, and are easy to transport.

My advice if you are thinking about going matx for your main rig:

1. Do your research on these forums.
2. Spend the money for a nice high end case like the QMicra. This way you don't really need to compromise that much in terms of cooling and it also makes the overclocking easier.
3. My matx rig is definitely comparable to the performance of a full atx rig. With proper planning your can be too.

My advice if you are thinking about going matx for your main rig:

1. Do your research on these forums.
2. Spend the money for a nice high end case like the QMicra. This way you don't really need to compromise that much in terms of cooling and it also makes the overclocking easier.
3. My matx rig is definitely comparable to the performance of a full atx rig. With proper planning your can be too.

The QMicra is $320. I have never paid a 3rd of that for a case. And it seems a bit big and heavy.

Also, I see in your sig you have a Q6600 @ 3.6 1.4v. What do your temps look like? And I'm sure you use the bracket for more fans, so what's the noise like for the Qmicra?

Antec P180 Mini. Its is quite large for a SFF case but very quite and has fantastic thermals.

The QMicra is $320. I have never paid a 3rd of that for a case. And it seems a bit big and heavy.

Also, I see in your sig you have a Q6600 @ 3.6 1.4v. What do your temps look like? And I'm sure you use the bracket for more fans, so what's the noise like for the Qmicra?

The next run of the Qmicra V2 are going to be considerably cheaper, hovering around the mid $200's. It really is a stand up case, and like any computer case the quietness of it is really dependent on which fans you use. The Qv2 has sound dampening material just like my Qv1. They are great cases, from a great guy and well worth the cost.

I'm really thinking of getting a Qpack or Microfly for the next comp, but I'm so afraid about noise levels. Is it that bad, and can it come close to that of a desktop?

The noise level in the Ultra MX-6 I built recently is lower than the Antec 1030-B full tower it is replacing. That is with the tower under the desk and the MX-6 on top of the desk.

No case is perfect. It is a template on which you insert or remove items to tailor to your ideals.

In my situation, I removed the plastic from behind the mesh to significantly inmprove fron airflow. I also added a second 80mm fan up front. All fans were selected for their low noise characteristics. Metal grills were removed to reduce turbulence.

Based on information gleaned here, the system is quite fast ([email protected]), quiet and maintains a small footprint. SFF requires additional homework and patience versus a standard tower, but I love the space savings.

You get what you pay for when it comes to cases. Its all aluminum and very light without components. Its a couple inches bigger than say a Microfly in most dimensions, but its got it in the right places. The ability to fit larger air coolers, up to 4 HDDs and 3 Optical drives plus a full length video card in an matx package is a huge plus.

Idle temps in the mid 40s, load in the mid 50s.

Of course I have 3x120mm fans on exhaust. Its not quiet but its not horrible. You can't expect to push the overclocks without some noise unless maybe you are on water or something.

The noise level in the Ultra MX-6 I built recently is lower than the Antec 1030-B full tower it is replacing. That is with the tower under the desk and the MX-6 on top of the desk.

No case is perfect. It is a template on which you insert or remove items to tailor to your ideals.

In my situation, I removed the plastic from behind the mesh to significantly inmprove fron airflow. I also added a second 80mm fan up front. All fans were selected for their low noise characteristics. Metal grills were removed to reduce turbulence.

Based on information gleaned here, the system is quite fast ([email protected]), quiet and maintains a small footprint. SFF requires additional homework and patience versus a standard tower, but I love the space savings.

What can you say about the included PSU? I'm strongly looking at the MX6 over the Qpack 2, but is it a huge bitch without a handle?

What can you say about the included PSU? I'm strongly looking at the MX6 over the Qpack 2, but is it a huge bitch without a handle?

I also have some experience with the Ultra rigs.

If you get a microfly with the 400W PSU, that PSU I would really only recommend using with no more than say an 8600GT level video card.

If you get a microfly with the 600W PSU you could probably run something in the 8800GTS G92 range without feeling uncomfortable. Based on its specs it could probably push an 8800GTX but having used one of these PSUs for a while I am not so sure I would trust it over the long haul.

The size of the case doesn't really make having a handle necessary.

Only reason I'd go back is if I felt I had to spend too much on a PC..

Other than that I'm happy with my DS2R, E8400 @ 4ghz, 2x2gb axeram, 8800gtx :)

I have a huge ammount of over the top cooling and about 8 fans and noise still isn't bad so I'd say you will have no problems there.

Do your searching on the forum there is tones of info here as this is how I got into SFF pc's! Also big thanks to PVHK and his reviews ;)

DS2R = WIN

I chose not to use the factory power supply (600 W. version in my instance). I went with a Corsair HX620 as the MX-6 has a 8800GTS512 in their now and probably something stronger around Christmas:D

The included Ultra 600W PS is in a corner gathering dust.

I have moved the MX-6 three times since building it. It is very easy to carry with two hands or under your arm. If the regular Microfly cover attaches like the MX-6 cover does, I would not trust the cover to stay attached as it only utilizes four like plastic latches that are not designed for a twenty pound load.

Also, Qpack / Microfly / Qmicra / Shuttle users, will you ever switch back? Are you satisfied with your purchases?

I have a Qmicra v1 and if money isnt figured into it I wouldnt buy another SFF case with two possible exceptions:

1) The MM H2gO might be the one exception as far as overall best case performance but I havent owned one so couldnt rightly say which is the better of the two. The H2gO however really isnt SFF but it does allow for mATX and ATX mobos. It might have superior cooling too but as I said I havent seen or experienced a personal review between the two to rightly say. I would guess however that the only case that could possibly beat the Qmicra v2 would be the MM H2gO.

2)If you want something that fits on a desk and doesnt take up much room and is still very portable look at the SG03. I have one and I transport it back and forth from home and work a lot. I use a Geargrip harness to carry it and I really love it. Although its cooling capacity isnt as good as the Qmicra it is however cheaper in price and easier to transport than the Qmicra. So if money is a factor and portability a factor the SG03 does it better in those two regards than the Qmicra. Unfortunately the cooling of the SG03 wont allow for the better overclocking when compared to the Qmicra and you can fit in larger hsf on the Qmicra.

Just my thoughts between the Qmicra and the SG03.

I have a Sugo SG01-B, and i also have regrets. The largest limiting factor for me is video card capabilities. I can't have sli with a 45nm cpu, and the length of most high end cards exceed the space available for a card. I would be weary of this if i were reconsidering.

As you can see in my sig I'm running a MicroFly & MX6 but without the Ultra PSUs. Would strongly suggest finding a modular as that helped me a lot. The Evolution is also a neat case - bought a used one someone started modding but it is sitting in the attic right now. It is attractive and nicely built. Check the reviews to see its "limitations".

If there is any intent on using X2 anything length will be an issue. Right now the 8800GT and 3870 I'm using fits very comfortably.

I currently own three mATX system and looking at putting together another, and love the format dearly, however if you goal is the “ultimate – uber” system stay ATX. For me though, until the day I can finish my full size server box I started 7 years ago DreamCatcher, which is now Opty 1210 powered and going W/C, and Yoda’s SMN will do me well. The newer generation of mATX motherboards while for the HTPC group are starting to catch up with the “big boys” OC wise.

I have a Sugo SG01-B, and i also have regrets. The largest limiting factor for me is video card capabilities. I can't have sli with a 45nm cpu, and the length of most high end cards exceed the space available for a card. I would be weary of this if i were reconsidering.

The New SG01-F will solve the videocard problems. I ordered one, and it should be here wednesday, I will post my impressions than. Coming from a Qmicra v1.

What can you say about the included PSU?

The included PSUs in the Ultra cases are not well suited for gaming PCs IMO. They're rated at peak rather than continuous and are ridiculously weak on the +12V rail. But at least they're substantially better than the included PSUs with Apevia cases. The PSUs that come with Apevia PSUs are total POS and are more than likely to damage your PC.

Still though, I wouldn't use the included PSU in Ultra cases for a gaming PC. Not enough power on the +12V rail compared to other PSUs.

The New SG01-F will solve the videocard problems. I ordered one, and it should be here wednesday, I will post my impressions than. Coming from a Qmicra v1.

Okay, that is the Evolution correct? http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_photo.php?pno=SG01-F&area=usa That's the one I mentioned it my above post! If I remember correctly it does take the longer cards but believe you may have to remove the hdd cage fan. Almost willing to fight the wife on keeping it, but right now don't have internals for it!

The Sugo SG01 (older model) is a great case, but requires modification for newer cards. The new Sugos can fit larger cards, but look awful IMO. I just sold mine and purchased the "not so SFF" Antec Mini p180. And honestly, I love the thing!

Going SFF is fun, but requires just a bit more attention to detail when assembling the rig. I've enjoyed it greatly and have built a few SFFs for others since the Sugo.

SFF all the way .. I just built a SFF using Lian Li V350 ...

As long as don't over clock much I don't see any problem with it ...

and seriously no regret ...

I've been using a Centurion 541 for some time now. Great case even it is a little odd. Motherboard mounts upside down and the PSU is still on top.... never quite understood why they did it that way. Only disadvantage to some is that it has dual 80s in the back instead of a single 120 but personally it doesnt bother me.

That is the PSU I'm using in a MicroFly build I did for a friend. It seems to be doing well so far with the mild gaming he's doing. I do like the cableing that comes with the unit. It came out of a MX6 build I did but ended up using an Enermax Liberty 620W because of converting to water cooling.

Back