• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Thinking about an upgrade

Incinerator

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
252
I have a $100 gift card to amazon and I'm considering upgrading my video card.

I currently have a 7900GS.

I havn't really kept track of vid cards (or any hardware for that matter) over the past 3 years or so (since I pieced together my last comp) and I was just wondering what were some nice ~$100 video cards. The main game that I play is WAR if that makes a difference.
 
Specs?
Resolution?

Everything aside, I suppose the best you can get for that price is the 4830.
 
+1 to UtopiA's questions:
- Specs?
- Resolution?
- What power supply do you have?
 
The HD4830 is probably your best bet then. Not too overkill for your resolution, just around $100 and won't tax that PSU too much.
 
Athlon 64 FX-55 <=== I remember when that chip was all the rage. Anyways, I would agree with what people mentioned above, 4830 is your best fit.
 
just curious...3 more questions

if I were to get the 4850, would I would need a better psu?
And if so, what kind of power/recommendations?
Is there much of a difference between the 4850 and 4830?
 
just curious...3 more questions

if I were to get the 4850, would I would need a better psu?
And if so, what kind of power/recommendations?
Is there much of a difference between the 4850 and 4830?

Yes, you would need a better QUALITY PSU. In fact, I think you're gonna have to replace the PSU even if you go with the HD4830. Didn't check the amperage/wattage on the +12V earlier. Considering the so-so quality of that PSU, I would not recommend reusing that PSU.

So for either the HD4830 or HD4850 upgrade, I recommend this as a bare minimum:
Antec Earthwatts 430W PSU - $50

The HD4850 is roughly 10 to 15% faster than the HD4830.
 
ok, so now my next question would be, would that psu (that you linked to) be good enough for a future upgrade to a quad core processor system?
 
Back
Top