Thinking about a uMB

ryken

2[H]4U
I'm off to law school this fall, and will be needing a laptop for class. I really like the uMB 2.0 for it's case and battery life, but would like it to be able to play some windows games when I travel or have downtime. Anyone out there know if it will play TF2 and L4D at a decent framerate? I have seen confirmed reports of the 2.4 playing those games, but that is out of my price range. Any thoughts on the 2.0?

Thanks in advance for all of your help. If I end up with a Mac, it will be my first!

There is very little performance difference between the 2.0 and 2.4, the 2.0 is confirmed to play TF2 and L4D perfectly.

btw, I have a 2.0 umb and love it.

Thank you so much. I think that makes up my mind, the uMB 2.0 will be the one. Waiting until June to see if the price drops/new OS is on it will be tough.

Do you think it is wise to add the extra 2gb RAM? Also, can I just do this myself with RAM from NewEgg? I've built desktops before, so I have the know-how, just wondering if it is accessible on the uMB.

Yeah definitely, RAM is so cheap there's no reason not to. It's easily user replaceable, there is a guide here: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/MacBook-Unibody/589/1.

Standard DDR3 from newegg SHOULD work, but some people have reported problems with crucial and some other brands, so most people recommend OWC. I would check out macrumors.com forum for more info on the memory, just be careful not to become one of them, that site is full of whiny bitch mac retards.

haha, that's why i'm posting here, and not there. I looked first for mac advice on the mac boards, but it is a lot of mac/pc flame wars that weren't very helpful.

I thought macforums had a good community actually. I haven't really seen any whining.

But they are definitely not very tech savvy.

Personally I bought the Mushkin set from Newegg and works like a charm. I also read the iRam brand works perfect as well

I'm off to law school this fall,
/snip

Grats on this :) Where are you off to?

First year law school is hell, so I dunno where you think you're gonna find time to game. Gets better in your second year though, unless you're shooting for law review editor and having your name in lights and all that.

I haven't really been on that one much, but you're right about their technical expertise.

Thanks for the suggestions, I would prefer to buy Mushkin, so that's cool.

I'm off to Chicago to study at DePaul. I know I won't have much time to game during the semester, but I want my laptop to be able to handle TF2 and L4D for vacations, travel, and study breaks now and again. Was looking at an ASUS too, but I love the slim case and better battery life of the MacBook. Rumor has it the price might drop in June with Intel's price drop, so I'm waiting until then. Thanks again for the help. Having built a couple of desktops, and spent some time here, I have little patience for the Mac forums. It is a lot of Mac/PC fanboy futility and non-computer people asking for really basic help. Hard to sift through to find the good information.

Try the macrumors forums they aren't that bad on the flaming side and there are some people with knowledge. It is also a very active forum

Try the macrumors forums they aren't that bad on the flaming side and there are some people with knowledge. It is also a very active forum

I would check out macrumors.com forum for more info on the memory, just be careful not to become one of them, that site is full of whiny bitch mac retards.

LOL

I also bought the Mushkin set for my uMB (both 2.0 and 2.4) and it worked great.

Back