Things you use your HTPC for?

Linkleman

n00b
I was just wondering what your main uses for your HTPC are other than playback of movies/TV shows?

It seems to me alot of people are running fairly high spec machines so what uses to you get out of them.

I run it as my home server. It serves torrents, downloads from newsgroups, serves files to my workstations, runs virtual machines, all while still providing xbmc. That's why I went with quad core.

I was thinking of using it as a Wii. I know they have a decent EMU out for it now. and the remotes connect via BT.

52006-ZELDA_HD.jpg

Zelda in HD on a emulated Wii!

Console emulator--mostly for bragging rights, to be honest.

pr0n count?

People like me, who have all the old consoles, definitely have bragging rights. I'm just looking for a woman who cares that I can brag too.

Yeah it's probably Dolphin, I have it running on mine and it works fine. I just can't be bothered buying a Wii remote/sensor.

Why is it sleep? Specs of your sleeping machine?

Edit: nevermind. Just saw your signature :)

Combo HTPC/NAS for now. Use as a media share to the PC's in the lower level.
MCEBuddy conversion of shows recorded with the Ceton.
Reddit....from the couch :D

That's about it. Built it with fairly decent hardware so I could repurpose it if I decided I didn't like it.

just got mine set up a few days ago. so far it's only been used by my daughter to play minecraft and watch netflix.

Mine sleeps most of the time as well.
I just use it at night to watch a movie or a tv show.

Mine sleeps most of the time as well.
I just use it at night to watch a movie or a tv show.

Is It worth all that money spent for that? Couldnt you just use a jailbroken appletv or something for that? Just wondering as I'm weighing up my options and unsure how much I would actually use it

If you're any form of a geek, I would recommend leaving it on and using it for multiple purposes. It's so fun remote desktoping into it, or multiple virtual machines running on it :)

Just bosting you post count I see. ;)
Hey at least I edited my post instead of adding one. But... I really am interested in HTPC stuff, as I use mine alllll the time, i'm always RDP into it from my iphone, from my desktop, from my macbook, it's my own personal VPS at home.

Is It worth all that money spent for that? Couldnt you just use a jailbroken appletv or something for that? Just wondering as I'm weighing up my options and unsure how much I would actually use it

Jailbroke atv's are great and all (I use a couple that I got cheap for extra spots), but they do have limitations and aren't necessarily the quickest devices. I wouldn't trade one in for my main htpc on the central tv, as I want that one to be able to do whatever I need media-wise, without throwing errors or having occasional hiccups.

Archive of move collection, music collection, recording tv, Netflix, web browsing, remote streaming for iPad devices.

I'm new to this, some people have tuner cards instead of normal graphic cards, is that strickly for recording and not playback?

Our HTPC is used for BluRay, DVD, OTA HD PVR, Hulu, and Skyrim, and some web browsing.

My HTPC serves as my storage for my network and media server. Was to be used for Blu rays but I found playing blu ray discs to be hit or miss for me.

So I went back to using my PS3 as my blu ray drive and now use my xbox 360 as my cable box now.

I'm new to this, some people have tuner cards instead of normal graphic cards, is that strickly for recording and not playback?

A graphics card is still needed it doesn't have to be a "card" it can be onboard. A Tuner card records TV. You essentially turn your HTPC into a cablebox and DVR without the fees.

Didn't cost that much (using both used and low end parts)...and I can only spend so many hours watching movies. Why do you feel it has to be used all the time to justify it? And a jailbroken ATV won't do what my HTPC will do, the way it does it.

My HTPC only has that title due to it also being the system that delivers media to the TV. It also serves as well as the other systems around the house for games, work crap, help with homework for the munchkin. Etc.

Netflix streaming and BR, WMC with Happauge 2650, some surfing, low end kids games (Lego etc).
I've got my music collection on it, but hardly listen there, and I ripped it all years ago in 128-192 back when storage was still sorta expensive.
It's the box the kids surf on. They're hopefully smart enough not to pull prOn up on the 60" plasma in the family room.
Rig in sig.

Games games games!!! Beats the shit out of a PS3/Xbox 360 anyday! I also listen to music through it as well. I have a 700 disc collection ripped to WMA lossless and my digital purchases converted from Flac to WMA lossless.

For my man cave HTPC I'm running a Phenom II x4 945BE, on a Gigabyte something or other M-ATX, 4GB ram, 2x64 OCZ SSD, Crucial M4 128GB SSD, two 2TB Seagate 7200rpm super quiet disks, XFX7970, OCZ Modstream Pro 700w PSU, all housed in a Silverstone GD02 case.

Games games games!!! Beats the shit out of a PS3/Xbox 360 anyday! I also listen to music through it as well. I have a 700 disc collection ripped to WMA lossless and my digital purchases converted from Flac to WMA lossless.

For my man cave HTPC I'm running a Phenom II x4 945BE, on a Gigabyte something or other M-ATX, 4GB ram, 2x64 OCZ SSD, Crucial M4 128GB SSD, two 2TB Seagate 7200rpm super quiet disks, XFX7970, OCZ Modstream Pro 700w PSU, all housed in a Silverstone GD02 case.
Just a question, why do you prefer WMA lossless? What application likes them more than a raw .flac? I love music so i'm ultra curious!

Back