They are COMING!!

I predict 2x the performance of 290X in some gaming scenarios. Definitely not across the board but the Memory Performance will cause the cards to Shred through 4k gaming at playable settings.

2 in crossfire may be the ultimate 4k gaming setup allowing Max in game settings in many/most games @ 4K possibly even 5K :)

Price is what I'm waiting for $649.99 is my guess.

Last edited:
1.) I predict 2x the performance of 290X in some gaming scenarios. Definitely not across the board but the Memory Performance will cause the cards to Shred through 4k gaming at playable settings.

2.) 2 in crossfire may be the ultimate 4k gaming setup allowing Max in game settings in many/most games @ 4K possibly even 5K :)

3.) Price is what I'm waiting for $649.99 is my guess.

1.) I would think that in quite a few scenarios it'll provide close to or at twice the performance based on the number of SP's, CU's, and bandwidth.

2. Agreed. If nVidia wants to compete with their upcoming GM200, they are going to have to open up the memory bus as well as increase the cores and texture units.

3. For the 4GB variant initial release, I predict a suggested retail (not counting price gouging) of somewhere ranging from $500-550, in order to hammer the GTX 980 and draw buyers over to the 390X.

Looking impressive if these numbers are close to real. If they are, I'd also wager this is a functional test run, we haven't seen the full potential of the card yet. Especially if it will be using HBM!

Pretty sure that HBM won't be available until the 16nm FF process, and these cards aren't using 16nm FF. So probably won't see that until 490-series (or whatever they call it).

Pretty sure that HBM won't be available until the 16nm FF process, and these cards aren't using 16nm FF. So probably won't see that until 490-series (or whatever they call it).

I dunno look at the Individual results section it lists

AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (4096SP 64C 1GHz, 4GB 1.25GHz 4096-bit) (OpenCL)

Saying the 4GB of vram running at 1.25Ghz = 4096-Bit kind of indicates HBM doesn't it. The effective speed of the ram is 5000mhz?

f6f.gif

FTFY

so the current rumor is

28nm
same tech as 290/290x? or based on Tonga? any power improvements?

if not, this thing is going to require a power plant outside of your room and an absolute zero cooling system to run :p

Looks like 50% faster part than non reference 290x.

Will be interesting what price they do as AMD has history of bleeding fans dry when performance allows them to do it.

I would be really happy if they launched these prior to the current speculation of Feb of next year. That being said, with the release of 8GB 290x cards this month it seems doubtful that they would go through the effort of making a refresh at the end of the game just to push out new cards a couple of weeks later. I am dying for an upgrade but spending money now and then again in Feb seems excessive. First world problems.

Not to mention 290x's were on sale for $299 literally a couple of days ago and now they have been pushed back up to HIGHER prices than the 970s to get more in line with the new 8GB cards to make them look worth the money. BLAH.

Will be interesting what price they do as AMD has history of bleeding fans dry when performance allows them to do it.

Hehehe .. Good try, but the $1,000 & $3,000 price points will be hard to beat! :p

Those specs would all but confirm 20nm. So much for not being possible on 20nm too that'll be a fun rebuttal.

Disappointed at the rumored 4gb video ram. At this point, how can anyone put less RAMs than those
Console pleb machines. These early ports already fill up over 3gb. I can imagine the later ones maxing out the consoles specs.

Disappointed at the rumored 4gb video ram. At this point, how can anyone put less RAMs than those
Console pleb machines. These early ports already fill up over 3gb. I can imagine the later ones maxing out the consoles specs.

NVIDIA is running with 4GB on their upper-mainstream parts now. I often wonder how much of the need for huge pools of VRAM on console ports is a lack of optimization...

lol... really???

the 7970 was $50 more than a GTX 580, the 290x/290 was CHEAPER than a 780, at launch, than the 780TI at launch, 5870 and 6970 was also cheaper than a 295/480/580.at launch.

So where has AMD been bleeding customers dry when they are able to ? The only time I remember that happening was with the original FX cpus.

I honestly don't know how effective this new stacked vram is going to be but something tells me that we wont have too much to worry about with the 4GB available. (In Baptist Preacher Voice) It may be as effective as 8GB on 290X or even better HAH!. I expect AMD to usher in an even more aggressive memory compression tech HAH! along with Tress FX 2 HAH!, Mantle 2 HAH... CAN I GET A WITNESS!!?

medium_Henry-J-Lyons-Nov30-03.jpg

lol... really???

the 7970 was $50 more than a GTX 580, the 290x/290 was CHEAPER than a 780, at launch, than the 780TI at launch, 5870 and 6970 was also cheaper than a 295/480/580.at launch.

So where has AMD been bleeding customers dry when they are able to ? The only time I remember that happening was with the original FX cpus.

i think he was trying to be funny...

hopefully the 390 pro wont have the hybrid cooler.

i dont want a rad in my system.

I honestly don't know how effective this new stacked vram is going to be but something tells me that we wont have too much to worry about with the 4GB available. (In Baptist Preacher Voice) It may be as effective as 8GB on 290X or even better HAH!. I expect AMD to usher in an even more aggressive memory compression tech HAH! along with Tress FX 2 HAH!, Mantle 2 HAH... CAN I GET A WITNESS!!?

medium_Henry-J-Lyons-Nov30-03.jpg

I LOL'D I had the voice in my head going as I read that

I have been on the fence about ordering a 290/290x over the last couple days and slapping a g10 + AIO cooler on it just to make it tolerable heat/noise-wise.....but THIS news makes me want to hide my wallet and wait it out. Damn you for this sir, damn you indeed ;)

these aren't showing up for a good 6 months.

grab a nice 290 pro for short money.

I suggest the vapor-X.

Back