Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate AIO CPU Cooler Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate AIO CPU Cooler Review - Bigger is always better and Thermaltake keeps with that thinking with its Water 3.0 AIO (All-In-One) CPU cooler. Thermaltake expands it radiator system to an impressive 360mm's worth of liquid cooling. What is probably most impressive though is it does not have a ton of other generally useless blinky light features.

Good review! Overpriced IMO. The Swiftech H220 is slightly more and offers more options for expansion.

Thermaltake usually offers rebates on their coolers. Just wait a few months until they have a rebate for this unit too.

Personly i like the Alphacool NexXxoS Cool Answer sets, yes the cost more, but you get more back 2, easy upgrades and expansions for video cards, and/or chip set.

Similar to the ''Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate'' is the Alphacool NexXxoS Cool Answer 360 DDC/XT - Set for $241.25, but then whit a thicker rad, and there are also sets with a D5 pomp.

If you buy a LT/ST set, like the Alphacool NexXxoS Cool Answer 360 LT/ST - Set for $188.85 make sure you also get a second $23.14 Alphacool DC-LT 3600 Ceramic - 12V DC - Pump, as the pump have little pump head-pressure, and second pump fixes that.
Other nice thing of the LT sets, is that they can run of the fan headers of your mobo.

49125-Earlybird.jpg

Using nothing but a more fans and more radiator the Water 3.0 Ultimate is able to demolish the competition and take the top spot.

So, when compared to the Glacier240L, you consider a temperature delta of 0.2-1.2 to be demolition!?
Seriously?

I get that you want to capture the readers' interest, but can we limit the hyperbolic language for instances where it's deserved?

I have to say that I'm disappointed, given the advantage that 30% more radiator area and 30% more airflow capacity should have given the system.

I think we're looking at the performance ceiling for the waterblock/pump being used.
Thermotake uses the same unit on all of the Water 3.0 line, as well as the same fan.

I suspect it would have been a better performer if they'd improved the pump capacity and used larger diameter connections for better flow.

Looks like it's time to have a talk with Asetek, CoolIT, or whoever makes the unit.

I get that you want to capture the readers' interest, but can we limit the hyperbolic language for instances where it's deserved?

Given your sensitivities to our graphic language and our propensity towards theatrics, I would not want you to have to deal with that craziness in your life any longer. What would you like it to say exactly?

Nice!

I like.

Seeing that I have not been case shopping lately...

How hard is it to find a case with three adjacent 120mm fan slots that this will fit?

Also, I wish I knew how it performed compared to a dual 140mm unit, like the Corsair H110. (and no, I don't have one to send you, but I think you've tested them in the past, no? :p )

Why aren't the Corsair H100i, H105, and the H110 in the comparison charts????

It is rapidly approaching the point (if not already reached with this unit) where DIY watercooling rigs are going to be only for the most [H]ardcore.

Why aren't the Corsair H100i, H105, and the H110 in the comparison charts????

We did review those coolers some time ago, long enough that I am sure a couple of those were tested on an older system, and when we change systems we throw out that data as far as comparisons because it is not valid.

I will ask Corsair if they want to get some back into the mix.

Will do the same with Swiftech as well.

It would be interesting to see how these coolers compare at a more common fan speed - like 50%. I doubt many folks run at the extreme low or high fan speeds. When gaming I don't ever run my fans at 100%. Most coolers are still really quiet at a middle speed, but provide much better cooling than low, sometimes almost as much as running at 100%.

If I was doing a new build today, I would go with the Cooler Master Glacer 240L. The temps are so close, and it has some unique expansion options.

It would be interesting to see how these coolers compare at a more common fan speed - like 50%. I doubt many folks run at the extreme low or high fan speeds. When gaming I don't ever run my fans at 100%. Most coolers are still really quiet at a middle speed, but provide much better cooling than low, sometimes almost as much as running at 100%.

If I was doing a new build today, I would go with the Cooler Master Glacer 240L. The temps are so close, and it has some unique expansion options.

Don't must people just drive their fans off of the motherboard control using a PWM splitter?
I've done this in my last few builds, silence when not at load and fan noise only when needed.

Kyle:

To really test the heat dissipation abilities of new coolers, will you be switching over to a 5930 or 5960 running at least 1.35v?

Kyle:

To really test the heat dissipation abilities of new coolers, will you be switching over to a 5930 or 5960 running at least 1.35v?

I have been thinking about this, but I am really not too sure that will impact our readers in a big way. Most of you guys know that if you are going to go that route, cheaping out the cooler is the last thing you need to do. Any AIO system you hook up to those CPUs is going to likely limit you with heat soak extremely quickly.

Just talked to Corsair, new units for test on this latest setup are on the way. We will get those on these charts. Thanks for suggesting it, I guess I have brainfarted on getting those into the mix.

as soon as I figure out how to mount it to my board, I will have the best water cooling system... in the world.

U R doing it wrong!

You don't mount the kitchen sink to your board.

SINK (as in "heat sink").

You basically run a line out of your system to a set of exchange pipes wrapped around (and welded to) the kitchen sink. Then you test thusly with your Big Bad Basin:

Empty
Hot Water
Cold Water
Ice Water

In cooling the delta's are much narrower. Several degrees is destroying the competition.

Not in my world.

2-3c difference is not enough for me to choose one product over another.

When you are talking about the upper echelon of AIO products the delta won't be much larger than 2-3c at the top. But look at the bottom of the list compared to the top and your delta is much larger. They battle for a few degrees at the top. Been like that for a long time.

When you are talking about the upper echelon of AIO products the delta won't be much larger than 2-3c at the top. But look at the bottom of the list compared to the top and your delta is much larger. They battle for a few degrees at the top. Been like that for a long time.

Good point.

So when looking at all the AIO's at the top since the performance differences are so small one has to start looking at other factors to differentiate the products.

I'm actually in the market for a AIO for a future build. However if they want my hard earned cash they will have to provide alittle more than just slightly better performance.

So for me

1.Ease of installation
2.Compatibility
3.Expandability
4.Appearance
5.Performance

This is the order I would be looking at if I know they are all close together for performance.

Of course these are my needs and everyone will be different.

Not in my world.

2-3c difference is not enough for me to choose one product over another.

Uhhh...

2-3c can mean the difference between a stable system at 5ghz and a system that constantly bluescreens.

I agree, if you aren't pushing your hardware to the extreme, then it isn't worth it. I use wimpier coolers on my HTPC and server systems that are never going to be overclocked, but on my main rig, even a minute temp difference is enough to pick one over another...

But this is [H]ard|OCP not [M]oderate|OCP...

That's why I paid $200 for my rare sealed single 180mm rad before the dual 140's came out, as a single 180 has 12.5% more swept area than a dual 120.

Considering swapping out my case due to some front USB port electrical issues, and when I do, I may just be ready to up the cooling performance...

Zarathustra[H];1041167764 said:
Uhhh...

2-3c can mean the difference between a stable system at 5ghz and a system that constantly bluescreens.

I agree, if you aren't pushing your hardware to the extreme, then it isn't worth it. I use wimpier coolers on my HTPC and server systems that are never going to be overclocked, but on my main rig, even a minute temp difference is enough to pick one over another...

But this is [H]ard|OCP not [M]oderate|OCP...

That's why I paid $200 for my rare sealed single 180mm rad before the dual 140's came out, as a single 180 has 12.5% more swept area than a dual 120.

Considering swapping out my case due to some front USB port electrical issues, and when I do, I may just be ready to up the cooling performance...

I never push my machines to the limit. My build tend to last 3-5 years on average and i'm not the guy that will run excessive voltage just to have a nice round 5ghz in my sig I don't care for that epeen crap anymore.

And correct this is hardocp but I kinda expect people to still use common sense and not hide blindly behind that Badge. I'm not the type that will drop $500 bucks on a part for a 8% performance gain. To me that is a waste of time and money, if you have money to burn then all the power to you. But as I get older my builds and purchases get smarter. Price/Performance matters more to me now than it ever did in the past. With the lack of competition from AMD. The rate of advancement for both CPU's and GPU's is so slow compared to the early 2000's there isn't a need for it.

You can still be Hard and not blow your whole paycheck on hardware..

So what? Did Corsair take the H110 back from him?

Don't know exactly, but from those previous comments (again, worth reading before commenting :p ), it's pretty clear he needs a new one. Old tests with the H110 were done on a different test setup, so numbers aren't directly comparable.

He probably gave it away. Or if it was a testing sample he sent it back.

So what? Did Corsair take the H110 back from him?

Considering we review about 175 pieces of hardware a year, keeping parts from over a year back does bode well for storage when it comes to archived hardware. Some of it is put into storage in TX, most is dispersed to other editors for use on test systems, and some given back to the community at times. And yes we send it back if requested.

We DO NOT sell our review hardware as you will find many sites doing.

So, what are some good cases with three 120mm slots in a row to fit this thing in?

I came across the Corsair 900D, which is a nice, sleek, understated case, with LOTS of cooling, but I've never spent $350 on a case before, and it's kind of large...

What would you guys stick this cooler in?

Speaking of kitchen sink, what about a review testing the different segments of AIO coolers. Much like you guys did at one point with the HSF's back in the day.

Test popular AIO's:

$80-$100

$100-$120

$120+

So, if anyone is curious, according to my totally unscientific after the fact statistical correlation analysis between the new test setup and the old one, the Thermaltake 3.0 Water Ultimate should have approximately 3C lower temps than a Corsair H110.

I'd be curious to see how my linear interpolation holds up to the actual test when Kyle gets the new hardware from Corsair :p

I always wonder why the dual (and now triple) models are thin.

If making a single unit fatter (like the H80) makes it perform better than a thinner (H50) model, the same principle should apply to a three fan unit as well.

I want a 3x unit, BUT, I want it to be fat like an H80, and be 3x 140mm instead of 3x 120... :p

MOAR!

Zarathustra[H];1041177998 said:
I always wonder why the dual (and now triple) models are thin.

If making a single unit fatter (like the H80) makes it perform better than a thinner (H50) model, the same principle should apply to a three fan unit as well.

I want a 3x unit, BUT, I want it to be fat like an H80, and be 3x 140mm instead of 3x 120... :p

MOAR!

case compatibility first of all.. most mid towers cases (were vastly majority of users actually are) can fit thin 240mm radiators and couple of others can fit thin 280mm radiators.. thats the main problem with for example the Silverstone TD-03 being 45mm Thick... anyway for more radiators and cooling performance I would just take a couple of Glacer 240L or Swiftech H220X/H240X =D and done..

case compatibility first of all.. most mid towers cases (were vastly majority of users actually are) can fit thin 240mm radiators and couple of others can fit thin 280mm radiators.. thats the main problem with for example the Silverstone TD-03 being 45mm Thick... anyway for more radiators and cooling performance I would just take a couple of Glacer 240L or Swiftech H220X/H240X =D and done..

While the concept of a modular system appeals to me, I've never been much of a plumber, so I don't trust myself to put together anything that won't leak :p

Anyone has seen a compatibility table? I am trying to figure out if it fits in my HAF-X case.
Thanks!

Custom water are better :p

I don't know why they don't make preassembled/filled AiO's out of premium components (the ones we buy for our custom loops), and sell them for premium prices.

It moves inventory and expands customer base.

Back