Thermaltake.....Now I understand why they suck so bad.

Qtip42

[H]is Modness
Originally I just took a single look at the case and thought "how gay" ......then my friend brings one over and has me work on it....... I saw the proprietary fan controller and all the shit that goes inside just to make the computer run. It's so incredibly messy it's not even funny. The fan controller is worthless (10+ regular molex connectors coming out of it :tard: and the fans are wired shittily too. They separate the 5v and ground onto a regular molex and leave the "signal" wire on a small 3 prong on EACH of the fans. There's at least 5 extra fans in the case = loads of wires.

Not to mention the additional power supply cables that you have to bunch up and zippy tie. Oh and lets not forget the dials in front, those require power too. More wires. Oh lookie and it even has a switch inside that lets you turn on the gay "Ther-mal-take" lighting scheme. Shameless promotion i guess. Lets not forget the temp probes.......all 5 of them .

On top of all this, the manual gives black and white TINY pictures trying to show you where everything goes. So it really isn't helpful at all.

Bottom line. Dont bother getting a Thermaltake case, they're the epitome of bad case modding.

amen. I hate the thermaltake xaxer III case with a passion after working on it for my friends. couple it with a thermaltake 480w piece of shit psu and you have a nightmare.

btw you forgot about how the bay in the top cant accept any other kind of fan controller due to the shitty rail system. It will wobble around until it breaks your new aerogate II (told you so, matt, haha).

Also, the stupid screwless pci slots in the back make it impossible to install a radeon 9600 pro (could be others too but this is the only one I tried) without breaking the case on purpose to give the card clearence (it wont go into the agp slot all the way because the plastic hold down gets in the way of the top corner of the pcb).

It took me a whole bag of zipties and half a roll of electrical tape just to get the wires so that you could vaguely see the mobo under the rats nest.

God i hate that case...... :mad: :mad: :mad:
God I hate that case.

Well, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who hates most Thermaltake products... :D

As a side note, wtf is with all of the random shit that Thermaltake makes? Take the Xpeaker, for example. I had to make a product page for it at work the other day and the whole time I kept asking myself 'who the fuck would want to buy this?' Speakers that go into your 5 1/4" bay... 4 watts combined RMS... each about the size of a quarter... perfect for LAN parties?!?! ...riiight... probably couldn't even hear the damn things at most LAN parties :rolleyes:

Thermaltake has nothing to do with what consumers want. I believe they're in it to make a profit and nothing more. Otherwise they'd stop going overkill on the case modding cliches.

Personally, I'm happy with my Thermaltake Xaser III case, although in hindsight I would have gone with a different case. It's not the best value, but it is good, especially if you want flashy looks. Plus the construction of the door is VERY good. Can't complain there. It was only my first computer I built anyways, so I didn't know too much about cases and such.

I do like their fans though. Most provide good airflow with low noise. I'm actually about to buy five more for a case mod project I'm doing.

Hmmmmmmmm, I'm worried.... :eek:

Though I'm not looking at their Xaser cases, I'm aiming their Tsunami line, 3 fans - 2 of them 120mm -, window, no jogs or dials, nice polish.

Are they really that bad?
I don't like Lian-Li's external design, but after reading this I'll take a second look.

My biggest beef with the Thermaltake is that for the price I paid, I deserve a removable motherboard tray.

I think some of the statements here are either exaggerated, don't apply in all cases, or just pointless. Like the arguement about there being eight or ten wires coming from the fanbus. Mine has I believe only six, and it really doesn't matter since after you plug them in you can just shove them out of the way. Does it really matter how many connector there are? And really complaining about that defies logic. There are four connector to control four fans. Duh? If you wanted to control one fan, you would only need one connector. There is another connector to power the LCD display and another to power the fans. Also, if you don't want to use every one, it's VERY simple to remove an extra control from the fanbus.

I'm not saying these guys are wrong, but I think it's just the opinions of very picky modders. No offense guys. Basically, Thermaltakes are good if you want flashy looks, security, and can afford it. They're good for someone who has no interest in modding their own case, or someone new to building your own computer, or someone who likes something flashy.

Personally, I would probably go with a nice Lian-Li my next time around. Definetly give them a look. They're great cases. But don't let what these guys have said about Thermaltake give you the impression that you shouldn't buy their case. Buy what YOU want.

You should want a Lian Li :D

I'll take some pictures of my case in a couple days when I find the usb cable for my digicam. I own the PC6077. I have 5 x 80mm fans not including the power supply, 6 CCFL's and theres not a single wire in sight, literally. Now it did take a little planning and some time but it wasn't hard to figure out how I could incorperate all this into my case and keep it all clean at the same time.

I'll never buy anything but a Lian Li case again so long as I live.
They're that damn smooth ;)

I've had my Thermaltake Volcano 9 for a year and its owning my 2100+ @ 2Ghz w/a little AS5 under there. inother words, i love the HSF combo. :)

I agree that their cases are on the ugly side.

I have a thermaltake Xaser V damier. I'm quite pleased with it, my first time building though. I have a couple of friends that have Lian-li and I must admit, they have nice design but I'm to lazy to mod my own case. So thats why I wouldn't buy a lian-li. It is really what you want to do. So starting a thread saying you hate a company because you don't like the way its organize, thats more then likely a personal perefrence. Then there is always the obvious mistake but thats normal for that to happen.

Anyways. My fan controller has more controls then I need, so I pulled the controller out. and guess what, they have removable controls. So I just took out all the extra cords and neatened it up. Simple. So you might not like it, but there are a lot of people out there who do. So stop complaining, I know a few people who have complained about their Lian-li, but guess what, they are still a good case.

I've got one of the ThermalTake Xaser III 1000 series cases and only have one complaint about the whole damned thing. That's the EL logo on the front. It's just not very strong. I repainted the front section of the case and within 2 days of putting everything back together, the EL panel had died. Other than that, it's a killer case, IMO. Very solidly built, secure(I have a very curious and smart 4 year old, so the locking front door is a must), and with a bit of planning, the wire management actually isn't that hard.

*Sidenote* Still tossing around the idea of getting one of Lian Li's new V2100 cases.

GizZo on the Anandtech forums posted reviews on how their heatsinks sucked and Thermaltake hassled him to take down the reviews. Ever since then I've always steered people away from Thermaltake. And OCZ.

I'm quite pleased with it, my first time building

2 people said this.... A pattern maybe? :eek:

So starting a thread saying you hate a company because you don't like the way its organize, thats more then likely a personal perefrence

More than likely a personal opinion you mean? Well........ yeah :rolleyes: That is definitely a personal opinion.

So stop complaining

I think our thread starter has all the reason in the world to complain if he had to work on one and work through the mess. I've see the outside of those things.... And I agree with Qtip -- FUGLY! Computer guys have better things to do than play "maid" on a borked PC, like, fix it. I've never dealt with them before, but that wiring sounds like a friggin nightmare. I'm gonna have to agree with you on this Qtip.

He is simply imforming those of us who work on/build PCs to avoid this case if you don't want to deal with a mess. Fair? I think so.

I've never dealt with them before, but that wiring sounds like a friggin nightmare. I'm gonna have to agree with you on this Qtip.

RoyLuv said:
2 people said this.... A pattern maybe? :eek:

More than likely a personal opinion you mean? Well........ yeah :rolleyes: That is definitely a personal opinion.

I think our thread starter has all the reason in the world to complain if he had to work on one and work through the mess. I've see the outside of those things.... And I agree with Qtip -- FUGLY! Computer guys have better things to do than play "maid" on a borked PC, like, fix it. I've never dealt with them before, but that wiring sounds like a friggin nightmare. I'm gonna have to agree with you on this Qtip.

He is simply imforming those of us who work on/build PCs to avoid this case if you don't want to deal with a mess. Fair? I think so.

I've never dealt with them before, but that wiring sounds like a friggin nightmare. I'm gonna have to agree with you on this Qtip.

hmm...let's see.

Two people in a row posting same opinion doesn't predict a trend.

The person that disagreed partialy with them owns the said case as well as the two original posters.

You come in trash his opinion, but you say "I've never dealt with them before", but you "agree"

Fair? I don't think so.

Viperoni said:
GizZo on the Anandtech forums posted reviews on how their heatsinks sucked and Thermaltake hassled him to take down the reviews. Ever since then I've always steered people away from Thermaltake. And OCZ.

Since I last bought, and still regretting it, the blue orb and accidently dropped it on the floor making it brake up in three pieces (not counting the fan!) I've been very negative about TT.. Their coolers have high noicelevels, etc.. As for the case, the fancontroller is very poor quality, every fan-channel has it's very own powerconnector (4pin pass-through from psu) which I personally do not understand.. Why not just use ONE powerconnector for all fans and just connect them parallelly from that single power-source? (Like I, and many other, have done on their home-made fancontrollers!)..
It's like:
power 1 -> fancontroller -> fan 1
power 2 -> fancontroller -> fan 2
power 3 -> fancontroller -> fan 3
power 4 -> fancontroller -> fan 4

while mine is (yes, with 4 switches):
power -> fancontroller -> fan 1
\---fan 2
\---fan 3
\---fan 4

Met-AL said:
hmm...let's see.

Two people in a row posting same opinion doesn't predict a trend.

The person that disagreed partialy with them owns the said case as well as the two original posters.

You come in trash his opinion, but you say "I've never dealt with them before", but you "agree"

Fair? I don't think so.

I think you're missing my point. Stating an opinion on the case. Ok, cool. Whatever floats your boat. Trashing someone for doing so, THAT'S not fair. I rest my case.

I've had numerous cases, modded numerous cases and frankly, I love my thermaltake now especially since im working full time. I don't have much time to play around with aesthetics. Ya the cables are a mess and were hard to figure out, but it looks good, the door is built great, and once its all put together theres nothing to complain about.

I hate their cases and their rice parts, and they do tend to plaster their logo all over everything, but I wouldn't blindly bash all their products. The TT SIlent Pure Power PSU I have has given my much better OC stability and rock solid voltages that my Antec TruPower 430 did not. In addition, they also field a wide line of RELATIVELY good performing HSF combos for cheap. If you don't have the cash to spend on pricey thermal right products, they have cheap performace HSF's that offer decent performace for the money. They also offer one of, if not the, highest performing heatsinks available, the PIPE 101. So while they are 90% compu-rice and love shameless promotion, and I wouldn't touch their cases with a 10 foot pole held by a gloved hand, they do have some good products.

Prime

I can see how the nubs and first time modders would think they are great. Those are also the people who go to fry's and think "lets buy an entire computer from them" ......they're the ones who spend $1000 when you could buy the same stuff online for $500.

Thats exactly like the guy i was dealing with the other day (with this Thermaltake case).

I was just irritated that he came over for a basic system build and instead I got stuck with a mess of wires that could choke a donkey. They get a thumbs down from me, thats all.

I should have added in "Thermaltake cases" in the title. I didn't mean all of their products. Then again this is the "CASE MODDING" forum so I dont think I'd be talking about their cooling products or whatever else.

But hell....It's sorta the same with Abit....I love their boards .....then I find that they include a "SATA floppy disk" instead of a cdrom and it totally turns me off. Who uses a floppy drive still? Grandma?

Qtip42 said:
But hell....It's sorta the same with Abit....I love their boards .....then I find that they include a "SATA floppy disk" instead of a cdrom and it totally turns me off. Who uses a floppy drive still? Grandma?
It's fine to act like FDDs are since long dead and buried, until you're the guy who has to deal with loads of old PCs and/or with anything other than desktop PCs.

Not every PI/PII system out there has heard of USB, and sometimes it's just easier to hook up a FDD than a CD-ROM drive to a headless server you're doing a network install on of Linux.

Before this thread goes too far off-topic, I pretty much share the same feelings about TT as Qtip. Like APC car parts, they have a few good products, but most of their stuff is compu-rice. The Blue Orb coolers look cool and are a decent performer and the aluminum heat sinks that come with their heat spreader kits are also decent. But I have checked out their cases and fan controllers first-hand and I was not impressed. I have never been particularily impressed with their CPU heatsink performance either. The HS reviews at overclockers.com puts that into perspective nicely.
TT has always seemed to me like a company who's primary goal is to get their products on store shelves where people who have never experienced case modding before will be attracted to them. Just my $.02.

Elledan said:
It's fine to act like FDDs are since long dead and buried, until you're the guy who has to deal with loads of old PCs and/or with anything other than desktop PCs.

Not every PI/PII system out there has heard of USB, and sometimes it's just easier to hook up a FDD than a CD-ROM drive to a headless server you're doing a network install on of Linux.

Floppy disks are the most useless thing on this planet. There is no excuse now days to still be running such old crap that you need a floppy.

Except maybe you don't have a couple thousand just lying around anywhere to go buy a new computer ya know...

Qtip42 said:
Floppy disks are the most useless thing on this planet. There is no excuse now days to still be running such old crap that you need a floppy.
I've got a 486DX2-66 AKA 'that Coyote firewall' which disagrees with you.

Why use a HDD when a FDD works?

i have FDD in my pc coz every comp in my school uses floppies, so if i want to print something in school i need a floppy. Also sometimes your printer breaks when you need to print out a paper thats due the next morning. What do you do? You save it on floppy and give it to your teacher. Floppies cost like $0.50 so i dont care if i give it to someone.

I keep a floppy drive hanging around for when I have to install my Abit SATA drivers. Other than that, I never have it in my case.

Get a USB pen drive, they're vastly superior to a floppy if you need to bring data with you. That is unless you are giving it away. Then a floppy would be better, but I usually just e-mail it to my professors. -The advantage of having a campus wide wifi network.

DudeItsMe said:
Except maybe you don't have a couple thousand just lying around anywhere to go buy a new computer ya know...

3 arguments come to mind here:

USB expansion cards
USB jump drives
CD burners

All can be found for as much or less than 1 month of broadband internet service.

And building a decent PC thats not floppy dependant can be done for under $300 fairly easily. Hell, you can buy a decent OEM computer for around $500.

Maybe it's just my jump drive, but, as I recall it's only plug-and-play compatable with Windows XP. Personally I don't like burning CD's for just anything but whatever.

Anyways, a floppy drive shouldn't cost you more than $15. Why not have it? I also have the issue of needing them at school and such. And who wants to move a computer just to plug in a USB drive, when the floppy drive is on the FRONT. Our Pentium I keyboarding computers with 40 MB of RAM are definetly FAR from front USB ports.

Back